4 Wheel bikecar?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Looks like the powered quadricycle will have to wait for the GB regs to be removed. As flecc states, UK law will take precedence. A prosecution, while unlikely, is still a possibility, particularly on something that is likely to draw attention to itself. It would then fall to the defendant to prove their innocence under the EU regs, probably after a prosecution.

The average policeman/woman is unlikely to have a clear understanding of the law in regard to a pedal quadricycle and is likely to consider it unlawful as they just aren't seen on the roads and therefore must not be legal.

All sounds very costly and not worth the aggro. That's progress for you!

Bandit, that side by side recumbent is very close to what I had in mind, except with two wheels at the front, (obviously).

Beeping-Sleauty, I love the sit up high quadricycles but really they should be decked out like the ones in Bugsy Malone.

Bandit

Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2009
Bandit, that side by side recumbent is very close to what I had in mind, except with two wheels at the front, (obviously).
I talked to him about it years ago - they were (I thought) a bit expensive (£2500?), and he hadn't sold many. They were a big hit with local special needs and blind schools, because they enabled able-bodied volunteers to take less able kids and adults out on trip where the less able weren't just passengers. But he maintained they could be pretty high performance vehicles on and off-road, and had an idea about electrifying one.

I guess two wheels adds quite a bit of complexity and weight.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Bohemian Recumbancy

to the tune of "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Freddy Mercury, performed by Queen

Is that a real bike?
Are you just kidding me?
Looks like a lawnchair
Not sure I like what I see.
Go for a ride,
Your toes to the skies and see.
I've got a low bike, don't have to wait for me
Because I'm in the seat, let us go
Feet up high, tush down low
Even when the wind blows, doesn't really matter, to me, to me.

Mama, just took a ride
Put a helmet on my head
Wore my blue jeans like a Fred
Mama, the ride's just begun
But there's not enough hours in the day
Mama, ooo, this bike can make you fly
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Riding on, riding on, as if mileage really matters.

Sun's up, the time has come
Sends shivers up my spine
Legs are aching for the climb
Goodbye everybody, I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and ride my 'bent
Mama, ooo, (anyway the road goes)
I just gotta ride
I wish so much that you would come along

I need a little Camelback upon my seat
Gatorade! Gatorade! Must keep up the hydration!
Thunderbolt from Lightning, a bike that's most exciting me
EZ Cruiser, EZ Cruiser, EZ Cruiser, EZ Cruiser,
EZ Cruiser let us go - We're on a roll!

But I'm on a low bike, and nobody drafts me
He's on a low bike with a really comfy seat
Spare tubes in his pack and some Powerbars to eat.
EZ-1, EZ-2, come on, let us go
Rans V-Rex! Come on and let us go - let us go!
Will we ever go - let us go! (right now)
C'mon we've got to go - let us go
C'mon we've got to go - ooo
Go, go, go, go, go, go, go
Oh, oh my Bike E, oh my Bike E, oh my Bike E, let us go
The LBS has a Vision set aside for me
For me, for me.

So you think you can hide that glint in your eye
So you think you can ride it and not want to buy
Oh baby, you can't fool me baby
Just gotta get one - just gotta go ride outta here
Ooh yeah, ooh yeah
Riding really matters
Anyone can see
'Bent rides really matter - 'bent rides really matter to me

Even when the wind blows….

Reactions: oyster

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
lol - "He's on a low bike with a really comfy seat"

Quality...

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I got a reply from the Department for Transport...

The powered quadricycle is a no no for now. I don't fancy jumping through all those hoops just to build and ride something for fun.

==============================

Thank you for your email to TTS ENQUIRIES concerning making your quadricycle road
legal.

Under our electrically assisted pedal cycle (EAPC) regulations only bicycles and
tricycles that meet the necessary technical requirements can be classed as pedal
cycles and so be exempt from type approval, tax, etc. A fact sheet summarising the
requirements is attached. If you design a four wheel vehicle it will be classed as
a motor vehicle it will need approval as described below, it will also need to be
registered and taxed and the rider will need the correct category on their licence
and be insured.

Please find attached our fact sheets which outline the process for registering a
quadricycle for use on the roads.

Your quadricycle will need to pass an MSVA inspection if it does not have a
Certificate of Conformity (which is issued by the quadricycle manufacturer).

The MSVA guide lists the items which need to be fitted to a quadricycle before it
is submitted for the inspection. Full details can be found in the MSVA Inspection
Manual, which can be purchased from the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA).

The MSVA guide also lists the inspection stations.

The tyres will need to be road legal. On the side of the tyre the following
information must be displayed "E " or "e" (or JIS [Japanese] or DOT [American]);
nominal size; load capacity; speed capability; construction type (eg radial).

The lights do need to run off the engine because there are also requirements for
tell-tales for some lamps and other lamps must operate together (eg the rear
position lamp and the registration plate lamp).

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What can four wheels do that three wheels can't:confused:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
The idea was mere folly, for my own personal interest more than anything. I have always liked the idea of a pedal car, more so the idea of an electric assist one.

Oh well, time to move on, chalk that one up to bureaucracy.

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
If you really want to be extravagant then look at the TWIKE ACTIVE. 200+kg you can pedal a bit! But it does go 50mph.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I'm not sure I understand their reasoning? Four wheel class 3 mobility scooters are road legal up to a max 8mph without a licence, road tax or insurance. They can also weigh in at 150kg plus and are available in two seat versions.
We used to rent 2 seat quadricycles when on holiday many years ago, but they where pedal power.
There is a kit available for bolting two bicycle's together, I think its called the granny bike.
I wonder how the law would view two perfectly legal e-bike's bolted together?

Stable four wheeled bicycles, (quadcycles)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm not sure I understand their reasoning? Four wheel class 3 mobility scooters are road legal up to a max 8mph without a licence, road tax or insurance.

I wonder how the law would view two perfectly legal e-bike's bolted together?

Stable four wheeled bicycles, (quadcycles)
The 8 mph on road/4 mph on pavements limit is the key of course, a serious limitation on the damage they could do.

Two e-bikes bolted together would be a motor vehicle of course, subject to al the motor vehicle necessities from type approval onwards.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
The 8 mph on road/4 mph on pavements limit is the key of course, a serious limitation on the damage they could do.

Two e-bikes bolted together would be a motor vehicle of course, subject to al the motor vehicle necessities from type approval onwards.

Bolt two bicycles together and thats okay. Bolt an ebike and a normal bike together and it becomes a motor car?
What would an ebike with stabilizers be?
An electric trike could be adapted for two riders side by side, but add an extra wheel and it become a motor car?

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Indeed, add pedelec levels of power to a quadricycle and it becomes a car - hence chalking this one up to bureaucracy.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Bolt two bicycles together and thats okay. Bolt an ebike and a normal bike together and it becomes a motor car?
What would an ebike with stabilizers be?
An electric trike could be adapted for two riders side by side, but add an extra wheel and it become a motor car?
Those who govern us have always been afraid of witchcraft. :D