Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
I don't really get the comment about tubeless = less punctures.

Surely it's the same amount of punctures, just that they'd repair without work from the rider compared to a non-slimed tubed wheel.

Or would you get less punctures with an inner tube, coz there's the additional layer of the tube itself.

And would an inner tubed tyre actually get less non-recoverable punctures if it had sealant in it?

Gaz

Reactions: Altop1 and RobF

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Sounds good until you get a puncture the goo won't seal.

With that in mind, some tubeless riders also carry a spare tube, which partly defeats the object.

Then there's the mess, a mate of mine had a tubeless fail which sprayed goo all over the bike and splatters on him.

Apart from the mess, if you need to put a tube in while out and about, you will also need to pour away the sealant.

I'm no tree hugger, but dumping that stuff beside the road/trail is less than ideal.

Earthskyouch20

Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2016
Hampshire
Sounds good until you get a puncture the goo won't seal.

With that in mind, some tubeless riders also carry a spare tube, which partly defeats the object.

Then there's the mess, a mate of mine had a tubeless fail which sprayed goo all over the bike and splatters on him.

Apart from the mess, if you need to put a tube in while out and about, you will also need to pour away the sealant.

I'm no tree hugger, but dumping that stuff beside the road/trail is less than ideal.
I've always thought tubeless was a load of faff and on events I've often seen stranded tubeless riders where it's all gone tits and they can't repair it. As you say, you'd still need to carry pump, tyre levers and tube anyway!

Eckythump

Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2017
North Yorkshire Moors
I'll throw in a vote for tubeless. Use it for both standard & plus tyres, analogue & e bike.
Pinch flats are history, thorns a none issue.
To be honest though, improvements in puncture resistance are a secondary benefit compared to the improved grip & smoother ride of a lower pressure tubeless setup.
I do carry a tube & CO2 but why wouldn't you??
Never really seen the benefit of slime in tubes as it is unlikely to seal a pinch flat as the holes are generally too big and if a thorn remains embedded in the tyre the movement keeps disturbing the 'plug' allowing more air & slime out.
One of those un-winable debates though I guess, bit like e bike adoption ;)

Japuserid

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2017
Cornwall
Tubeless every time, for me.

Must have had at least a dozen punctures that have resealed themselves and that is only the ones I am aware of as they often seal up very quickly. But best of all, the bike really does accelerate a lot faster without tubes and has amazing grip, from being able to run much lower pressures. I carry lever's and a tube just in case, after all if you puncture a tubed Tyre you have to remove it before you can repair it. Its win win.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers