soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
no id like a cx motor tho ;)

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I guess any hydraulic brakes will be better than those on mine.
Im going to try and get my bike on some scales....im still amazed at the weight difference, jsut watched a video back I took while out on them and picked it off the floor with one hand and the cam in the other

Just got it on the bathroom scales.....Cyclotricity stealth 1000 watts weighs 28kg......

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just got it on the bathroom scales.....Cyclotricity stealth 1000 watts weighs 28kg......
I am not surprised. If you weigh the rear wheel of the Stealth 1000W alone, it weighs probably 8.5kgs with the tyre.
The rear wheel on the Cube weighs about 2kg.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Brakes: both are hydraulic brakes but the brakes on the Rio cost me twice the price of the Shimano BRM315 on the Cube because the Rio needs sensored brakes while the Cube doesn't.
The derailleur on the Cube is slicker, being Deore. With CD bikes, you need to be in the right gear so you need slick derailleur to minimize shifting time.
The Rio's derailleur is Acera M360. You hardly need changing gear with a powerful geared hub motor, so from the point of view of lifespan or maintenance, Acera on hub bikes is OK.
The crankset on the Cube is Isis system, on the Rio GXP. Both are about same on torsion stiffness.
The fork on the Cube Reaction is SR Suntour XCR32 RL-R, 100mm, mid entry level, 2.250g. The Rio's fork is RST Omega TNL, 100mm, mid entry level, 2.260g. About same quality and cost.
Thanks for the comparison Woosh...
So, what Im seeing, is the Rio is a lot better VFM. Most of the extra cost is for the Bosch motor (and battery), which Ive read time and again isn't the most favoured option for commuting.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I am not surprised. If you weigh the rear wheel of the Stealth 1000W alone, it weighs probably 8.5kgs with the tyre.
The rear wheel on the Cube weighs about 2kg.
Which makes me ask why is the claimed weight 24kg including battery...unless of course, my mudguards, rack and lights add an extra 4kg......

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Which makes me ask why is the claimed weight 24kg including battery...unless of course, my mudguards, rack and lights add an extra 4kg......
Rough reckoning:
Basic bike with rigid fork: 11kgs
Battery: 3.5kgs
Basic motor: 3kgs
Other electrics: 0.5kg

Total basic bike: 18kgs

Swap rigid fork for basic suspension fork: 2.5kgs
Swap basic motor for your 1000W: 4kgs
mudguards, racks and lights: 2.5kgs

I reckon your bike should weigh about 27kgs.

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Most of the extra cost is for the Bosch motor (and battery), which Ive read time and again isn't the most favoured option for commuting.
That must be because it's bomb proof reliable and requires no user switching.

Just get on the bike and ride it to work.

Might be too boring for some, but it's precisely what's required of a commuter.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That must be because it's bomb proof reliable and requires no user switching.

Just get on the bike and ride it to work.

Might be too boring for some, but it's precisely what's required of a commuter.
I would agree on short commutes, up to 5 miles or so.
Bosch bikes offer assist from 1x up to 3 times user input, the rider has to put in the rest (25%-50% of the required energy). It can be demanding if the wind is against you and/or you want to save time.
On long commutes, you could use the flexible assist range of a Chinese bike.
Chinese bikes let you pedal as much as you like, they are usefully flexible.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I think also having the throttle will be beneficial at times when you are doing 20 miles and want a breather

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk