6ft, 17 Stone and looking to commute 15-20 miles each way through South London.

wlowry

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2016
Surrey
Hi all,

Like the title says I'm looking to commute through South London to the city. I live about 20 miles from work and have been doing a mixture of driving and then pulling the bike out and cycling the rest of the way (13 miles driving/ 7 miles cycling). I'd like to reduce the driving as the traffic can be awful. The mornings are fine as it's steadily downhill most of the way but coming back in the evening it aches as soon as I get on and then it's uphill back to the car and then lots of sitting around in traffic.
My budget isn't huge (£1k) but there's probably room for maneuver if anyone can suggest a bike that will be reliable. I'd like a foldable bike but appreciate that it might not be practical considering the distance I have to cover.
Can anyone suggest any suitable bikes?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A 20 mile commute through a city is asking a lot from any bike, let alone a relatively cheap ebike.

The inevitable stops, starts and uneven surfaces wear transmission and generally give the bike a hard time.

A folder would be OK for your part-journey plan, but you wouldn't have a realistic option of going the full distance regularly.

Battery range may come into it, the common 10ah/11ah size will just about manage 40 miles, assuming you can manage on one of the lower assistance levels.

Have a look at woosh and Kudos bikes - those two brands offer good value for about £1,000, although for that sort of money you won't be getting top quality.

You will need to spend quite a bit more to get a significant improvement in quality.

There are one or two offers around for Cube bikes using the Bosch system for around £1,600.

If you can double the budget, a Raleigh Motus at £2K would be a good choice.

It has the well-regarded Bosch system, good quality bike components - brakes, tyres, etc - and is already fitted for commuting with a rack, mudguards and lights which would be adequate for city use.

If you have a google around you might find one for a hundred or two less.

Another possibility is a Pinnacle from Evans at £1,800.

It has the Shimano Steps system, which is fine, and Evans probably have branches at either end or along your commute so trying/buying/servicing will be straightforward.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-ion-2017-electric-bike-EV267144

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl

pgchimp

Jun 18, 2016
Telford
You might be able to increase your budget if your firm operates a "Cycle to Work" Scheme. I recently purchased my new e bike on this scheme borrowing £1000 and as a basic rate tax payer it is costing me £57,49 per month for the next 12 months, You do the maths for the savings.

Should you need to go over the £1000 budget you could always pay the addition overspend as a one off lump payment

Should you be paying the "higher rate of tax" then the savings is even more, Just a thought if finances are tight

• Agree
Reactions: JuicyBike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
6ft, 17 Stone and looking to commute 15-20 miles each way through South London.
An expensive e-bike won't last long lashed to a lamp post in London.
I wonder if there are Chinese bikes tough enough for 15-20,000 miles a year for a 17st rider.
I know of a 17st commuter who does about 30 miles a day in Southend. He's got a Woosh Big Bear since 2014. Woosh charge him £25 every 6 months to service his bike. He's still riding the same bike.

By the way, do you have sheltered storage for your bike at home and at work?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A Big Bear has the advantage of a 15ah battery, so no range anxiety, and there would be a few quid in the budget for maintenance.

wlowry

Aug 25, 2016
Surrey
Hi, thanks for the advice so far. I should clarify that I have lockable bike storage (locked container with lockable bike racks inside) and can also charge a battery during the day if needed.
I do have access to an interest free loan to buy a bike (not a cycle scheme) of up to £1,000. I guess the prices caught me out as my current bike is a Giant that I bought for £280 (end of season sale).
I definitely want to pedal and would use my normal bike if the legs didn't hurt so much.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
then you should go for the best bike with 500WH battery you can afford. For conversion, it's difficult to hang a 15AH battery anywhere on the Giant - the tubes are very thin.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
The Carrera has been getting good reviews from forum members and is in your price range. Battery range shouldn't be issue if you can charge it at work.

Reactions: wlowry
D

Deleted member 4366

If you already have a bicycle, you can convert it to electric for £400 to £600, which gets it to whatever you want regarding speed, power and range. It also gives you a good understanding of how it works and allow convenient repairs if anything would go wrong. It's not difficult to convert if you know how to turn a spanner or two.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I agree. Conversion is usually the most cost effective way into e-biking. The test is simple: if you can whip the bottom bracket off your bike then you can convert it.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Hi all,

Like the title says I'm looking to commute through South London to the city. I live about 20 miles from work and have been doing a mixture of driving and then pulling the bike out and cycling the rest of the way (13 miles driving/ 7 miles cycling). I'd like to reduce the driving as the traffic can be awful. The mornings are fine as it's steadily downhill most of the way but coming back in the evening it aches as soon as I get on and then it's uphill back to the car and then lots of sitting around in traffic.
My budget isn't huge (£1k) but there's probably room for maneuver if anyone can suggest a bike that will be reliable. I'd like a foldable bike but appreciate that it might not be practical considering the distance I have to cover.
Can anyone suggest any suitable bikes?
Vist, test, visit, test, visit, test, until you find the right bike. It'll be a 'hub' motor new with that budget which you may not like.

wlowry

Aug 25, 2016
Surrey
Hi all, thanks for your continuing suggestions. I tested a Carerra Crossfire and Ebco UCL-30. The Crossfire was good (virtually the same as my Giant Hybrid) but it switched itself off for no reason! I was able to get it going again a minute later but it didn't inspire much confidence. The Ebco was desperate to go fast! but is a completely different riding experience (I haven't ridden a dutch style bike before. I'm very tempted by the Ebco but think I should try going to Woosh as well. Someone from Woosh suggested that the Gale might not be best for long distances due to comfort rather than battery.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Gale is too small for your height and the motor is only standard sized Bafang SWX, it'll pull you OK on flat roads but not suitable for your weight on hills.
You need either the Bermuda that has the bigger Bafang SWX02 or the Big Bear the BPM motor.
If you need a folding bike, then the Woosh Zephyr B is the right bike for your height and weight.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

wlowry

Aug 25, 2016
Surrey
the Gale is too small for your height and the motor is only standard sized Bafang SWX, it'll pull you OK on flat roads but not suitable for your weight on hills.
You need either the Bermuda that has the bigger Bafang SWX02 or the Big Bear the BPM motor.
If you need a folding bike, then the Woosh Zephyr B is the right bike for your height and weight.
Hi Trex,

I'm definitely interested in the Woosh Zephyr B but feel like I've been warned away from it as it only has a 10ah battery. My journey into work is steadily downhill and of course uphill on the way back. To combat this I'd be happy to buy a charger for work as well, but do you think it would run for 15 or so miles with plenty of pedal assist by me?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you should be OK if you ride sensibly. Some people get a lot more than 20 miles out of a 10AH battery. If you worry about battery capacity, the 2017 Zephyr B from the new year is fitted with 11.6AH.