6ft4 tall 23 stone which bike

bigray69

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 1, 2016
swindon
Hi all as a bigger guy and being unfit i want to get e bike to start back on fitness trail, as recent diabetic too. tried running did my knees hips in.
Which bike would suit can go to about £1800 so many but its the frame size and the like i need, my plan is to get back to fitness then ride hardians wall cycle route been an ambition to walk it but hips needs would never make it now.
many thanks in advance regards Graham

Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A crank drive would be best from two perspectives.

You have to pedal one of those, so they are a better bet to gain some fitness.

They also come with standard wheels, a rear hub motor and your weight is asking for spoke trouble.

Your weight won't be a problem for a good quality crank bike.

Nor will your size, because you can get larger frames.

That may even work in your favour, few people take a large frame so if a retailer has one in stock it may end up being discounted.

There's a 60cm bike on sale on here from the London Electric Bike Centre which might suit.

Alternatively Cube/Bosch bikes are reasonable value, and you may be able to find a large one.

A Raleigh Motus may also do the job, listed at £2K, you could probably get a £100 or so off for cash.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
  • Informative
Reactions: RobF

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
A crank drive would be best from two perspectives.

You have to pedal one of those, so they are a better bet to gain some fitness.

They also come with standard wheels, a rear hub motor and your weight is asking for spoke trouble.

Your weight won't be a problem for a good quality crank bike.

Nor will your size, because you can get larger frames.

That may even work in your favour, few people take a large frame so if a retailer has one in stock it may end up being discounted.

There's a 60cm bike on sale on here from the London Electric Bike Centre which might suit.

Alternatively Cube/Bosch bikes are reasonable value, and you may be able to find a large one.

A Raleigh Motus may also do the job, listed at £2K, you could probably get a £100 or so off for cash.
thanks for that :)

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
my plan is to get back to fitness then ride hardians wall cycle route
Hello Graham, welcome! Might be a bit too small to see on my avatar photo so I'll include the file - there's a 72 on the cycle route marker just above my bike (the Hadrian's Wall route, I believe) so this is the sort of view you can expect. It's a beautiful area and although the route is on roads, there's not a massive amount of traffic round here.

When you feel up to tackling it, be prepared for Roman roads (they built 'em straight and didn't smooth out any of the ups and downs!) and see if you can find advice on which direction to do it from somebody with experience. I'd imagine going from West to East would give you the best chance of having the prevailing wind at your back.

Have fun finding a bike to suit!

Attachments

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
Hello Graham, welcome! Might be a bit too small to see on my avatar photo so I'll include the file - there's a 72 on the cycle route marker just above my bike (the Hadrian's Wall route, I believe) so this is the sort of view you can expect. It's a beautiful area and although the route is on roads, there's not a massive amount of traffic round here.

When you feel up to tackling it, be prepared for Roman roads (they built 'em straight and didn't smooth out any of the ups and downs!) and see if you can find advice on which direction to do it from somebody with experience. I'd imagine going from West to East would give you the best chance of having the prevailing wind at your back.

Have fun finding a bike to suit!

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
looks great nice bike too cant wait need to get fitter first but seems a great way to do it
Thanks! I've had it less than a week so we're still making friends but I'm happy with my choice and it's lovely to be out on a bike again - it feels less like exercise and more like getting a bit of your childhood back!

I'd say take your time choosing and try out as many as you can before you buy - there's a surprisingly big difference in how things feel from one bike to the next. Then just work out what suits you in terms of building up your fitness and hopefully the fun factor will make it easier for you to stick with it and achieve your aim of touring the Emporer's defences!

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
looks great nice bike too cant wait need to get fitter first but seems a great way to do it
Having recently achieved a reasonable level of fitness using ebikes, over 1k miles in 7 months, I recommend that you enjoy the ride first and start off pedalling easily, letting the motor do most of the work. As time goes by you will feel the urge to kick out more and more often, when it suits you best. Then let the bike do the work again.

Before you know it, you'll have woke those muscles up and conditioned them to doing some activity again. Next thing you know is that you'll start turning the pedal assistance down so that you can work harder than the bike does. :)

If you rush it from the outset, you'll just get sore leg muscles and cramp. Just saying what worked for me. :)

Reactions: trex

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
well that was quick,tested 3 bikes at e-motion in swindon and after trying crank drive hub and hub gears have opted for an KTM E STREET P deposit down and new interest free credit card on way to pay for it.
went out for test ride with mark from shop up hill and down and had a smile on face whole way.
This could be getting addictive now for helmet and the like!!!!

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
Having recently achieved a reasonable level of fitness using ebikes, over 1k miles in 7 months, I recommend that you enjoy the ride first and start off pedalling easily, letting the motor do most of the work. As time goes by you will feel the urge to kick out more and more often, when it suits you best. Then let the bike do the work again.

Before you know it, you'll have woke those muscles up and conditioned them to doing some activity again. Next thing you know is that you'll start turning the pedal assistance down so that you can work harder than the bike does. :)

If you rush it from the outset, you'll just get sore leg muscles and cramp. Just saying what

worked for me. :)
tried it without motor fine on roads but up hill no way could i do that for long

• Agree

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
You say you tested 3...what were the other two? Why the KTM over them? Always interested to hear reviews / thoughts etc.

• Agree

bigray69

Aug 1, 2016
swindon
Tried a ktm mancinia force a ktm estreet-p and ktm mancinai bold with hub gears.
The mountain one was great to ride good range of gears and bosh crank,easy gear change and nice ride.

Then tried E street -p had lights mudguards suspension forks and seat post and 47 volt Panasonic hub motor
felt a great ride not to bad with no power, 27 gears and for my height ideal leg length and seat to handlebars.

Then tried KTM mancinai bold with hub gears found i had to pedal more even on top gears and just not as good riding position.

All good bikes but the estreet -p was more a riders bike if that makes sense can use on light trails and road.
Looked at others in shop most had smaller wheels and KTM frame and equipment seemed better.
Also has a friend who has had a ktm for 5 month had no problems with it done lots of long short rides and loved it