80mm bb shell & BBS03 kit - which one though?

Nathan74

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hello all,

I'm struggling to confidently choose the correct bbs03 width (63/100/120mm) to fit in a JIS/BSM 80mm wide bottom bracket shell. It seems my bb shall is the odd one out at 80mm. The following page has a useful chart which I think makes it clear I need to order the 100mm wide bbs03, but I'd like confirmation from someone more knowledgeable than I before forking out a small fortune (the ebay seller is quite helpful but there's a bit of a language barrier murkying our conversation).

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/knowledge-base/motors-and-kits/bbshd/10736-how-to-order-the-right-bbsxx-kit

Many thanks,

Nathan

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
It's an ali frame, it's my freego eagle which I plan to upgrade to something less breathless and liveable as my daily driver (16+ miles each way, several steep hills).

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
You will prob. have to offset the drive unit so as not to mess up your chain line too much. Maybe 2-3mm on the drive side to give some clearance on the controller housing and battery, and the rest on the non drive side. You may also need to fit a Bling Ring chain wheel, which brings the chain line inboard and is a big improvement on the standard steel door stop that Bafang provide.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
You can borrow my angle grinder and 7 pound hammer:D
On a serious note 10mm each side is going to cause chain problems so it will need a bling ring
Have you removed the existing bb and had a real world measure I suggest a mock up with cardboard string etc [you could save a lot of time and money] Can you post a pic

Reactions: Kinninvie

Nathan74

Oct 4, 2017
Sheffield
Hello,

I eventually ordered a 90mm bbshd, so there's 10mm difference (my bb is 80mm). I have the spacers (4x 2.5mm), but they'll be filling 10mm between the BB shell and the bbshd eyelets/locking ring. I've read a lot about BBSxx slipping issues - and that's without any added spacers between the bb and the bbshd locking ring.

I'll probably need the California ebike stabiliser bar (https://california-ebike.com/shop/bsb-1-bafang-stabilizer-bar-bbs0102-bbshd). I can bolt it straight through the side of my eagles now defunct controller housing.

In the meantime would anyone recommend I use all the spacers on the drive side, or would that cause a noticeable pedalling offset to the right? I have the lekkie bling ring so that will help the chain line.

Many thanks,

Nathan

rilot

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2017
Wargrave, UK
I'd offer it up and see how it looks before making a decision about which side to put the spacers. Bear in mind that it's hard enough to get a decent chainline with the BBSHD right up against the BB.