83.6% Anti-Dumping Tariff on Chinese E-bike. Where the Market will go?

Overall, do you think it's good or bad for UK and EU market?

• Total voters

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
But they are the cheap transport the questioner asked for, and more practical than e-bikes in terms of running costs, reliability and weather protection.

The environmental interests are costly. (He said having just taken delivery of a new 2018 Nissan Leaf):
View attachment 25878
How many milliwatts does that badge on the side cost you? I was looking at a Toyota Plug-in-hybrid the other day which has a huge badge saying just that which must cost a heap in aerodynamics! These designers are supposed to be worried about extending range but they are fixing the problem the same way they would with a petrol car - throwing more battery at it instead of improving aero.

Imagine this with an electric motor:

Volkswagen_XL_driver_side.jpeg

My favorite version:

VW_L1.jpeg

Reactions: Artstu

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
How many milliwatts does that badge on the side cost you? I was looking at a Toyota Plug-in-hybrid the other day which has a huge badge saying just that which must cost a heap in aerodynamics! These designers are supposed to be worried about extending range but they are fixing the problem the same way they would with a petrol car - throwing more battery at it instead of improving aero.

Imagine this with an electric motor:

View attachment 25879

My favorite version:

View attachment 25880
Beautiful and fun, when I was young, but absolutely useless to me now at my age.

Now I want what the Leaf gives me, easy to get in and out, preheating timer so I can get into a cosy warm car on bitterly cold winter days, big boot for my various activities etc.

P.S. The new Leaf has had plenty of work on the aerodynamics. but as much for wind noise reduction as anything else.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Congrats on the new motor Flecc, you`ll have to do a review on it. (Is there any sort of government grant available?)
Been considering making the jump to an all-electric or hybrid for some time now, only thing i`m concerned about is as i`m very much rural how on a winters night the effect of having to drive with lights, heater and wipers on would affect range?

Btw I see this Nismo version will certainly appeal to the younger set, very flash!

https://electrek.co/2018/07/19/nissan-leaf-nismo-specs-launch-sale/

Attachments

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Was it on your web site that a couple of years ago I read "we don't sell outside of the UK and NI"? The EU is your market, you are in the EU.
Wasn’t sure it was on our website but it is true that we don’t export bikes...the reason is the cost of shipping (it costs more to ship a bike to France than the ship cost from China),we don’t have distributors in Europe,it is important to have local assistance when selling bikes.
However,our parent company has distributors for auto parts in every EU country and export is growing strongly especially due to the strong euro v pound.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ain't the EU wunnerful.
by 2025, the EU will be so integrated that it will have common currency, fiscal and defense policy, finance minister etc. Resistance will be futile.

Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Ain't the EU wunnerful.
It’s not the EU it’s the EBMA, desperately trying to protect their electric bike business with the assistance of the EU. The very people who ten years ago didn’t believe ebikes would ever take off. The people who got the throttle removed from ebikes. The people who own virtually every brand of bike you know. Two major companies, the two giants who run the bike industry in Europe.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and JuicyBike

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
It’s not the EU it’s the EBMA, desperately trying to protect their electric bike business with the assistance of the EU. The very people who ten years ago didn’t believe ebikes would ever take off. The people who got the throttle removed from ebikes. The people who own virtually every brand of bike you know. Two major companies, the two giants who run the bike industry in Europe.
Precisely why I do not want anything to do with what is obviously a corrupt organisation.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Congrats on the new motor Flecc, you`ll have to do a review on it. (Is there any sort of government grant available?)
Been considering making the jump to an all-electric or hybrid for some time now, only thing i`m concerned about is as i`m very much rural how on a winters night the effect of having to drive with lights, heater and wipers on would affect range?
Thanks Tommie. The government purchase grant is current £4500 on a pure electric and a charge point installation subsidy of circa £500. Unfortunately that scheme expires in October and they've said it will be reduced since e-car sales are booming now.

The Leaf now has a compressor for heating and cooling which is far more economical than the old method. I just did a 104 mile run yesterday with a number of occasions of driving it hard, maximum acceleration, and plenty of 60 mph cruising. The air-con was working hard too, between 26 and 30 degrees C outside I was keeping the cabin at 20 degrees. With 29% of capacity left that indicates a 146 mile range driven without caring about economy and using it to the full, so I've no doubt it would meet the 164 miles indicated fully charged with normal conditions.

I haven't used the Eco mode at all or the e-pedal, so if using those the range would increase further, especially in less hot weather without the air-con working so hard. Range is certainly not going to be a problem for me.

• Informative
Reactions: tommie

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Yes it is, but if you are importing directly from China, you have to ad on normal duty and VAT then add the 37%.

Compounded up this means if you are going to buy anything directly from China you need to add delivery then 75% to get the true cost.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
by 2025, the EU will be so integrated that it will have common currency, fiscal and defense policy, finance minister etc. Resistance will be futile.
By 2025 the EU will consist of Germany... so nobody will give a toss.
Predictions and wishful thinking about the EU rarely come true, so the EU in 2025 will probably look much as it does now.

That of course is the problem, the unwillingness to change.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm happy to admit when I made a sweeping incorrect statement David, and I'd hope you'd do the same ;)

EMBA members have been making eBikes for a lot longer than 10 year and I don't think you'll find any of them who didn't think eBikes were worth investing in... they might of course have been waiting for technology to catch up and be at the level they'd trust before putting it on their bikes.

Certainly I know all the brands I'm aware of have been looking at this for years and years.... many just weren't prepared to deal with the warranty issues of using the early motors.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
That's interesting Col, I am simply casting my mind back to the day I presented ebikes to the BAGB, I was told in no uncertain terms it would never happen. Maybe I do generalise though!

Giant were our there in the early days with the Lafree, a great bike, as were Yamaha, I cant think of anyone from the EBMA though.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes it is, but if you are importing directly from China, you have to ad on normal duty and VAT then add the 37%.
I just paid anti dumping duty this morning.
You pay normal duty and VAT, they are under A00 on the C88 form.
Then you pay 37% AD levy, + 20% VAT on the levy, they are B00 on the C88 form.
If your e-bike costs £500, you pay:
A00: £30 duty, £106 VAT
B00: £185 duty, £37 VAT
Total duty: £215
Total VAT: £143
Total taxes: £358

So the bike arrives at my shop costing me already £858. How much do you think I should sell it for to pay my staff?

The UK will remit 80% of duty to the EU, that is £172 on your bike, or 34.5% of your purchase.

Does it make you want to leave the EU/Customs Union/Single Market? I wonder.