83.6% Anti-Dumping Tariff on Chinese E-bike. Where the Market will go?

Overall, do you think it's good or bad for UK and EU market?

• Total voters

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am surprised that any e-bike importers want to carry on...its not an easy product to sell,the anti-dumping duty and low pound,it is bulky to ship and store,the difficulty of shipping lithium batteries and that most UK customers want to buy as cheaply as possible-the threshold point seems to be £1000.00.
I would not be surprised if a lot of importers just give up.
KudosDave
It's still possible.
At present, I set budget £100 per bike for assembly but with the correct tooling and organisation, it should be OK to reduce that to £50 per bike. There is no saving on component costs because shipping frames and wheels and other parts separately increases shipping cost a bit, paid for by 1.3% reduction in import duty so the net cost to customers should be £50. I will cut £50 off the price of my bikes once I get the process sorted.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Trump has now put 25% tariff on e-bikes and e-bike motors on all chinese e-bikes....the US bike industry is pretty unanimously against these tariffs,pointing out that there is virtually no US e-bike industry to protect...the same really applies in the UK!!!
The world is going crazy,it will end in damage to all....Trump + EU + UK Brexiteers = violence,when nobody other than the very wealthy gets what they want.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If we fall out of the EU with no deal,does that mean that the EU anti dumping tariffs will all be scrapped on April 1 ?
I realise that part of May's Chequers deal is to sign up to the common rule book which would undoubtedly include EU tariffs but if we crash out then we have left so no more EU tariffs will apply.
In that event I can see some big arguments with UK customs officers,!!!
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
If we fall out of the EU with no deal,does that mean that the EU anti dumping tariffs will all be scrapped on April 1 ?
I realise that part of May's Chequers deal is to sign up to the common rule book which would undoubtedly include EU tariffs but if we crash out then we have left so no more EU tariffs will apply.
In that event I can see some big arguments with UK customs officers,!!!
KudosDave
Yes Dave I have heard that tariffs will be immediately rescinded.

However... we will not be able to sell bikes to Europe. So if that is an important part of one's business we still have to move manufacturing base to Taiwan or similar, we certainly cannot make here anymore.

We are now happily building bikes here in Kent, but will have to stop and go back to Asia.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Here is the latest from The Collective of European Bike Importers...

"Ceci n'est pas une pipe"

"Ceci n'est pas un cas de dumping. This is a political game which fits with the current, general European attitude to discourage trade with China. Furthermore, a very small number of large companies in Europe try, through abuse of trade defence instruments, to push competition out of those markets they have lost out on due to their own rigidity and short-sightedness."

Annick Roetynck

Click Here

ATB, David

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Once the UK leaves the EU and is operating an independent trade remedies framework, UK businesses will be able to apply to the TRA directly if they believe they are being injured by the effects of unfair trade practices or surges in imports. Those making the application will need to demonstrate to the TRA that there is sufficient evidence of dumped goods, subsidised goods or an unforeseen surge of imports. They’ll also need to demonstrate that the WTO standing requirements in relation to import volumes and injury are satisfied, that they have the required level of support from domestic producers collectively, and that they have the required share of the market of like goods for consumption in the UK.

Once the TRA is satisfied that there is sufficient evidence, it will initiate an investigation. The purpose of the investigation is to gather information, verify whether the legal conditions to apply measures are fulfilled and establish the level of the measures it will recommend should be applied.

To decide whether it should recommend putting measures in place, the TRA will check if:

• there is dumping or use of specific subsidies by the producers in the country/countries concerned, or an unforeseen surge in imports
  • the UK industry concerned is suffering injury as a result
  • measures are in the wider economic interests of the UK – there is a presumption in favour of anti-dumping and anti-subsidy measures, where the onus will be on the TRAto demonstrate that measures will have disproportionate impacts on the wider UK economy.
These checks will be made through performing detailed analysis of data from a range of sources including UK producers, importers, downstream users of the product and exporting producers of the product in other countries.

If the TRA reaches a determination that measures should be applied, it will submit a recommendation to the Secretary of State for the Department for International Trade (DIT) who will have the final decision (having consulted with ministerial colleagues) on accepting or rejecting that recommendation. A recommendation from the TRA to apply measures can only be rejected by the Secretary of State on limited grounds. If the TRAconcludes that measures should not be applied, this decision cannot be overruled by the Secretary of State.

As we have almost no UK ebike building industry I cannot see many (if any) complaints to the TRA after March 29.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Yes Dave I have heard that tariffs will be immediately rescinded.

However... we will not be able to sell bikes to Europe. So if that is an important part of one's business we still have to move manufacturing base to Taiwan or similar, we certainly cannot make here anymore.

We are now happily building bikes here in Kent, but will have to stop and go back to Asia.

All the best, David
The UK could end up the only place in Europe to be able to buy chinese made bikes at a competitive price....monsieur,I go across Calais-Dover on the ferry,I have a nice weekend in Whitstable,then I buy a nice cheap ebike and ride it back to Dover,back on the ferry,hehe!!!!!!!!!
KudosDave

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hadn't thought about that! Best get the Northern European advertising going!

Sevenoaks is a nice place to visit too, bring your car and make a long weekend of it! Monsieur, you can cover the cost of Le Weekend in Kent with your savings. Majestic Calais do very well with a similar plan. :D

All the best, David

Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hadn't thought about that! Best get the Northern European advertising going!

Sevenoaks is a nice place to visit too, bring your car and make a long weekend of it! Monsieur, you can cover the cost of Le Weekend in Kent with your savings. Majestic Calais do very well with a similar plan. :D

All the best, David
Nah,they wont get past Whitstable....we could even have a service delivering the bike to Dover,!!!
KudosDave