D

Deleted member 4366

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
I'm a bit grey over the whole freewheel vs cassette thing, having only had experience with cassettes when it comes to anything over 5 or 6 speed (as found on bargain basement mtbs for example). Can you explain why someone would buy a 9sp freewheel over a 9sp cassette? There must be a reason for it, but I cant work it out. Are some motor hubs only suitable for freewheels? I assumed it was just old tech (quill stems vs aheadsets for example) but if they have just released a 9sp freewheel then it must be a current requirement? Cheers

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The tiny Xiongda rear hub motor for example is freewheel only.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I ordered one just to see what they're like. The stack height is 41mm compared with 38mm for a DNP 8 speed and 37mm for a 7 speed. That'll be too wide for most ebike applications.

595g too compared to 490g for the 7 speed, which is already pretty heavy.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-7-8-9-10-11-Speed-Gear-Freewheel-Flywheel-Sproket-And-Cassette-18-21-24/32840759206.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1a894c4duNluy9
My idea is to disassemble a 7 speed and mount 8 speed cogs on the 7 speed body to have a wider range (up to 34 tooth granny). There is the Aussie guy on ES who has cut a 7 speed down to make a 5 speed which is also an interesting read.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm a bit grey over the whole freewheel vs cassette thing, having only had experience with cassettes when it comes to anything over 5 or 6 speed (as found on bargain basement mtbs for example). Can you explain why someone would buy a 9sp freewheel over a 9sp cassette? There must be a reason for it, but I cant work it out. Are some motor hubs only suitable for freewheels? I assumed it was just old tech (quill stems vs aheadsets for example) but if they have just released a 9sp freewheel then it must be a current requirement? Cheers
Some rear motors (most of them in fact) have the freewheel thread rather than the cassette spline.

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks I didnt know that most motor hubs were threaded! I havent seen the thread of a rear hub since my BMX days over 30 years ago. I assumed that everything other than single speed would be splined nowadays.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
thanks Planemo. I wasn't fully awake when I posted the picture!
From the customer support's point of view, replacing a cassette mount on the motor is a messy business, I would have to retrieve the motor wheel, whereas replacing an 8/9/10-speed freewheel is quick, cheap and much less stressful.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I fitted the one I had some weeks back, only keep 8-speed DNP as stock item. The DNP has the same stack height as a Shimano cassette so no problem there.
I try to check the stack height next time when I get one 9-speed freewheel.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Unfortunately Sunrace don't publish stack heights. They also don't reply to end user e-mail... They are much more OEM orientated than DNP who are lovely people.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Here is a couple of the DNP 9 speeds:

dnp-9.png
Stack height = 40.5mm

This would make a perfect 8 speed 13-34 just by removing the 14 tooth and a spacer and diminishing the height of the freewheel body to about 37mm. Of course you would use a 9 speed shifter and limit shifting to 8 gears on the derailleur.

Imagine that on a 201 rpm Q128H 36v overvolted and oil cooled <diabolical cackle> with a Patterson Metropolis 36-57 up front giving a spin-out speed of around 65 km/h... :cool: