905se battery break in. How empty is empty?

Boreas

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2009
Hi.

I have recently become the proud owner of a Wisper 905se Sport. Right now I am in the process of breaking in the battery. Following the instructions of the manual for three full discharge and recharge cycles. I want to make sure I get it right to ensure the longest lifetime possible for the battery. Especially concerning I have planned to use the bike for commuting to work and for transporting groceries home from the local store during winter in Norway.

I haven't come farther than the first attempt on discharging the battery, and now for the question. I am sure I have traveled more than seventy kilometres on the bike since it was charged. The lights on the meter on the right handlebar are now showing red, indicating battery empty. The light display on the battery is still showing one green dot and has done so for the last ten kilometres at least. The motor is just barely giving some juice on flat stretches, no noticeable help uphill.

Is the battery now discharged enough to start charging it for the second time or do I have to drain it further to make sure I get it right?

Kind regards.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
As the bms stops the battery completely discharging it won't get completely flat, it sounds like you are pretty much there already.
You say it offers no assistance on hills, there should be a sudden drop in power where the voltage drops below the limit.

Boreas

Just Joined
Aug 27, 2009
As you mention it I have experienced the motor "cutting" two or three times the last time I tried to drain the battery. If that's what you mean. You know when you hear the sound of the motor suddently die and you feel that all of the assistance is gone, even on flat stretches. Just lasted for some seconds though.

Kind regards.

Hugoforth

Just Joined
Jul 28, 2010
Mussels....i too have a new wisper and have wondered about that, because although it will not assist in any way, there are still a lot of volts in the battery, so it is'nt trully drained, David did mention something about a cut off point which was 31.5 volts i think.......what that means i'm not sure, but i have tried to get all the charge out of the battery ...its very difficult to find a way of completely draining it, if indeed thats what we are supposed to do. Or is it considered drained as soon as there is no motor assist. I think this could be made clearer on the Wisper site's manual......H.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
It is considered drained when the motor cuts out, to try and drain it further can damage the battery. I've never bothered with conditioning cycles myself, I think people get too hung up on the idea.

Advertisers