905se Tyre Exploded ! Help needed on what happened and replacement options (with Video)

Richard Brown

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2017
London
www.battrified.co.uk
Hi All,

Yesterday whilst riding home the inner tube exploded through the side of the tyre wall. I was recording the journey at the time and put together this video...

If you can help me with info on what caused it and how I can fix it that would be great.

Thanks all and kind regards
Richard Brown

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I've had two Kenda tyres come away from the wire beading too, with exactly the same consequences to the tubes.

Reactions: Richard Brown

Richard Brown

Jul 23, 2017
London
www.battrified.co.uk
For a start dump those Kenda tyres including that one on the front too.

Get a decent pair of Schwalbes.

Inspect the inner wall of the rim, possible its cutting into the tyre when inflated.
Yeah thanks Tommie, I don't think I will be staying with those tyres now having seen all the exposed threading around the rim after just 2 months.

A friend of mine recommended the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tyres which have great reviews. I will also take a look at the Schwalbes. Can you recommend any particular model by Schwalbes?

One thing I do really like about the Kenda tyres is the reflective strip around the side wall.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's nothing wrong with your rims. Just crappy tyres. One last thing before we condemn the tyres: Did you ever have a puncture with that tyre?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Others like the comfort of a couple of Big Bens which now come in plus versions with extra Kevlar.

Richard Brown

Jul 23, 2017
London
www.battrified.co.uk
There's nothing wrong with your rims. Just crappy tyres. One last thing before we condemn the tyres: Did you ever have a puncture with that tyre?
Ah yes good point, I did have a puncture about a month ago, ran over a small nail. It did deflate vry quickly and so I stopped straight away although I then had to walk the bike to the local cycle shop. Do you think that could have rubbed down the side walls enough to cause this damage? I had to walk about half a mile with the bike on a deflated tyre.

• Dislike
Reactions: KEN OPENSHAW
D

Deleted member 4366

Do you think that could have rubbed down the side walls enough to cause this damage? I had to walk about half a mile with the bike on a deflated tyre.
That's what I was thinking as soon as I saw it. Maybe yes, maybe no. Whatever, get some Schwalbe MPs and solve two problems at the same time.

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Ah yes good point, I did have a puncture about a month ago, ran over a small nail. It did deflate vry quickly and so I stopped straight away although I then had to walk the bike to the local cycle shop. Do you think that could have rubbed down the side walls enough to cause this damage? I had to walk about half a mile with the bike on a deflated tyre.
I would think that this is a contributing factor especially if you were moving at the time it went down. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Plus Tour are very good options for replacement and more expensive than the original Kendas. Throw in a slime tube and many miles of flatless travel is ahead of you. However, slicking up for the Kendas, they are not a bad tyre as an original fitment. They are used across a wide range of bikes. I have not had any quality issues with any of the Kenda tyres on any of the bikes I have sold over the years. I have never seen a sidewall go on any tyre unless there
was a reason not related to quality.

Richard Brown

Jul 23, 2017
London
www.battrified.co.uk
I would think that this is a contributing factor especially if you were moving at the time it went down. The Schwalbe Marathon Plus or Plus Tour are very good options for replacement and more expensive than the original Kendas. Throw in a slime tube and many miles of flatless travel is ahead of you. However, slicking up for the Kendas, they are not a bad tyre as an original fitment. They are used across a wide range of bikes. I have not had any quality issues with any of the Kenda tyres on any of the bikes I have sold over the years. I have never seen a sidewall go on any tyre unless there
was a reason not related to quality.
Cool, thanks for the feedback and advice... :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Schwalbe Energizer tyres are specially for e-bikes. IIRC, they have strengthened side-walls - and they're puncture proof.

Advertisers