A bike for my wife.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Ok after many hours of discussions Mrs C has agreed to try an ebike again. Her current bike, she finds, too big for her. Goes to prove you really do need to try try try and try your bike before buying.

To be fair she was ok on it until she had a knee replacement. Now she wants something smaller.

So her criteria for a bike is...

To fit a woman who is 5ft 4 and not the greatest balance.
She drives an automatic car so has no concept of changing gears. So either an automatic geared bike or perhaps a single speed?
Not too heavy.
Safe, so preferably hydraulic brakes.

So any suggestions from the panel?

Oh budget... To be honest if she liked it then there is no budget restrictions (within reason). As if she does then I can change mine too.

Thanks in advance.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:
Reactions: Crockers

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Definitely gocycle: small, light, automatic gears...

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Auto change gears you need to look at Nuvinci harmony or Steps Di2 equipped bikes but weight could be the issue.

http://www.voltbikes.co.uk/axis-folding-steps-e-bike.php

https://www.moorescycles.co.uk/ridgeback-electron-di2-2017-womens-electric-bike.php#
You can fit Di2 shifting to a manual nexus or alfine hub. Would need shop to do it as they will need to link Di2 to STEPs controller. So you are not limited to Di2 models only. No weight on Electron but typically around 20kg mark.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Crockers, I have a RM Tinker which would fit the bill really well. Not Auto but Nuvinci 380. I suggest setting up in a mid way gear and when she gets used to the bike she could start to experiment by twisting the gear grip to climb hills?

30% off Retail.

All the best, David

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Hi Crockers, I have a RM Tinker which would fit the bill really well. Not Auto but Nuvinci 380. I suggest setting up in a mid way gear and when she gets used to the bike she could start to experiment by twisting the gear grip to climb hills?

30% off Retail.

All the best, David
David

Can it be converted to auto?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
20-25kg is about lite they get for step through with lights rack and mudgaurds. Those extras do make bike easier to live with.

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

Plus one for the Gocycle. It meets your specification exactly. I've watched them at my local bike shop. Some people just can't get the hang of gears, and they find the size and weight of an e-bike intimidating. They jump on the Gocycle and love it. It's their second best seller out of all the bikes they sell.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Right. I'm going to arrange a gocycle test for her. She thought it looked "cute". :D

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Have arranged (weather permitting) test trials on two bikes this Thursday.

Gocycle G3 and A2B Enzt.

Any views on the A2B bike?