A cold summer, and look what followed in 1963!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Those who are of a similar age to myself will remember the severe winter of '63. What is often not remembered, is the rather chilly preceding summer.

Have a read of this report.

Meteorology and Climatology are closely linked sciences, but how they react with each other is largely unpredictable. I remember some years ago, a report was published by the scientists involved with drilling test bores in polar ice-caps. Although It had previously been believed the transition from warm periods to severely cold spanned thousands of years, the polar ice core samples revealed a different picture.

At the end of that television program, one of the scientists stated the transition from a warm period to a mini ice-age could be as short as eight to ten years. I'm no expert on these matters, but I do wonder how modern day Britain would cope with a winter of '63.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
IS it a cold summer Blew it ?
I thought it had been rather nice so far.
But lets hope it isnt followed by a 1963 winter (though to be honest I will be in spain......but still....)
I lived for years at the summit of the settle/carlisle railway so I can certainly remember bad winters which is why I try to avoid them now :)
As for how modern day Britain would cope with a really really bad winter......do you really have to ask ?????
They cant even cope with wet leaves.......

Lynda

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Cold summer? I've just spent a couple of weeks in a Kent campsite and it was roasting, we weren't going to the beach until 4 or 5pm as it was too hot.

Advertisers