A good foldable bike please

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
I have a 14 mile commute each way.

I just seem to not be able to make up my mind.

Foldable, low maintenance, bigger battery with reliable motor like Bosch so I don’t have to worry about it for few years.

Hub/Mid drive? - Derailleur/hub gears? - To go/not go for suspension? - 18”/20”/26”? :confused:

I was looking at this,

https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/Gocycle-G3-Electric-Bike

Go Cycle Electric Bike and at £3,499.00, it’s just taking the ****. :(

Reliability, low maintenance, lower puncture rate and longer range. :oops:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
for that sort of commute, I would suggest you take a look at the Woosh Zephyr.

http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?zephyr-2017

It has full suspension, kevlar tyres, nice Suntour XCM fork with preload and remote lockout, front and rear hydraulic brakes, powerful Bafang SWX02 motor, 12AH battery - enough to do both legs of your commute on a full charge.
It does not cost much but is more capable than a lot of folding bikes out there.

ncpdnc

Pedelecer
May 28, 2017
Europe!
Thanks for your suggestion. I have to say, that is one flashy and bold looking bike. :cool:

The ride posture on this bike, is it comfortable for longer journeys? :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The ride posture on this bike, is it comfortable for longer journeys?
It's not bad but you can always add a stem riser to increase the height of the handlebars and reduce strain on your lower back.

D

Deleted member 4366

I was looking at this,

There's a lot more to a Gocycle than you see. It's just about the lightest e-bike you can get and it has full suspension. It has a lot of power and can be programmed to go very gast too. The gears are automatic, or you can change them manually. The power profile is completely programmable throughout the speed range. The phone app that goes with it gives you everything you need to know about your bike and your journeys including how many calories you burned.

I've seen other bikes with some of those features, but they're a lot more expensive, heavier and slower. There's now a much cheaper version available that doesn't have the auto gears, but it's not sold in the UK yet, which is strange considering that they're made in UK.

• Informative
Reactions: ncpdnc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I have a 14 mile commute each way.

I just seem to not be able to make up my mind.

Foldable, low maintenance, bigger battery with reliable motor like Bosch so I don’t have to worry about it for few years.

Hub/Mid drive? - Derailleur/hub gears? - To go/not go for suspension? - 18”/20”/26”? :confused:

I was looking at this,

Reliability, low maintenance, lower puncture rate and longer range. :oops:
.. I think one might see this bike displayed in style galleries or museums in the future as a style icon.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
There's now a much cheaper version available that doesn't have the auto gears, but it's not sold in the UK yet, which is strange considering that they're made in UK.
I just binged it...fullycharged.com say the new cheaper one is coming here between June and July. But that was stated in early January so who knows...

Oh wait...that may be the U.S. date they were referring to...

Last edited:

Kvothe

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 14, 2014
What are the cons of the Woosh Zephyr 2017?

I'm thinking of getting a folding bike too. With daily commute of ~19 miles each way.
Unfortunately, a non folding bike is not an option due to security and restrictions on the trains.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What are the cons of the Woosh Zephyr 2017?
limited battery capacity, only 12AH, good enough for around 30 miles.
The Zephyr has a large motor, good for acceleration but mile for mile consumes about 20% more battery than our Karoo.
For 40 miles round trip, the Karoo is less comfortable but better suited for battery size.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
limited battery capacity, only 12AH, good enough for around 30 miles.
The Zephyr has a large motor, good for acceleration but mile for mile consumes about 20% more battery than our Karoo.
For 40 miles round trip, the Karoo is less comfortable but better suited for battery size.
... So the zephyr with two batteries and two chargers would be ideal, provided the user was allowed to charge one at work?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
... So the zephyr with two batteries and two chargers would be ideal, provided the user was allowed to charge one at work?
it's possible but if you can charge at work then there is no need to buy a second battery. You only need a couple of hours to top up the battery enough for the home run.