A little bit confused about freewheels and cassettes :(

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I'm planning on swapping my 8 speed cassette for a 5 speed, along with a 5 speed gear shifter. Don't know why, but I didn't think there were any 5 speed gear clusters manufactured that are the cassette type. Only screw on.

Can someone put my mind at rest and tell me if the gear cluster in the following link is a cassette type, or does the description 'freewheel', mean that the freewheeling mechanism is in the cluster itself?

Sunrace Index 5 speed Freewheel

Signed,
Dunce o_O

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Oooops, think I hit a big hurdle. Can't seem to source any five speed trigger index shifters. Did they ever exist?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm planning on swapping my 8 speed cassette for a 5 speed, along with a 5 speed gear shifter. Don't know why, but I didn't think there were any 5 speed gear clusters manufactured that are the cassette type. Only screw on.

Can someone put my mind at rest and tell me if the gear cluster in the following link is a cassette type, or does the description 'freewheel', mean that the freewheeling mechanism is in the cluster itself?

Sunrace Index 5 speed Freewheel

Signed,
Dunce o_O
This is a freewheel for threading attachment, not a cassette.

The SRAM twistgrip shifters work with derailleurs, I've long used the 6 speed but here's the 5 speed one.

Don't know about 5 speed lever shifters.

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
This is a freewheel for threading attachment, not a cassette.

The SRAM twistgrip shifters work with derailleurs, I've long used the 6 speed but here's the 5 speed one.

Don't know about 5 speed lever shifters.
Thanks for confirming this flecc. Unfortunately, twist grip is not an option for me. I'll probably have to stick with my 8 speed.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Advertisers