A Plus Sized Headache!

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
Out on a ride this morning and no sooner had I had one of those thoughts, " what would a blow out be like on my plus size tyres?", when sure enough, sudden hiss and instant loss of air from the front end. I try to be prepared on rides, track pump,chain link, magnet, etc so didn't panic. Then I tried getting the 3" Schwalbe Nobby Nic off. Took me about 10 minutes and snapped one of my four levers in the process. 10mm gash in the middle of the tyre so easy to find the gash on the inner, but even so I fitted a new inner. If getting the Tubless ready tyre off was hard, getting it back on was even harder. Lever number two snapped. Half an hour after puncturing all was well. Except I'd committed the cardinal sin of assuming the gash was the only injury and hadn't done my usual feel around the inside. Of course there was a huge thorn too, tyre went down and so process started again, though now I only had the two levers. For some reason it seemed even harder this time. Thorn found, tube mended, tyre back on. I tried and tried to re fit the tyre eventually snapping the third lever. A group of hikers stopped to help and despite group efforts from some strong looking individuals, nothing doing. As they set to leave me I had one last effort and with my last and most useless lever I somehow managed to pop it on, pushing against a gate post. I could have wept with joy. This had taken pretty much an hour to sort out, and on my normal 26" bike a puncture is fixed in 5 minutes.

So my question is, has anyone got any methods of dealing with 3" plus tyre removal/ fitting out on the trail?
I broke the bead seal and pushed th tyre into the centre of the rim to allow as much slack as possible. I started at the valve so the last push would be opposite. I think the issue is tubeless ready tyres are a close fit to the diameter of the wheel and the rims are wide and flatter than normal so pushing the tyre into the centre doesn't give much of an advantage. Maybe I'll have to go tubeless, but the gash was big enough that it wouldn't have saved me. I bought some Park Tool levers at the bike shop on the way home so hopefully they may be tougher. Any tips would be much appreciated. I now need a lie down and a cold drink...

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The most obvious way to deal with the issue, is to actually go tubeless, and make sure that you carry one of these tubeless repair kits.

https://www.evanscycles.com/weldtite-tubeless-patch-kit-00103371

My side of sympathy extends to saying that I also snapped one of my favourite Pedro tyre levers removing a Nobby Nic plus size tyre.

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/maintenance-c7/tools-chain-and-cassette-c40/pedros-tyre-levers-pair-p600

I realise that you said that you broke the bead and placed the tyre to the centre of the rim, but from my own experience you really do need to check that both sides of the tyre are sitting neatly in the centre before beginning, and take time and care in doing so. I found that with this done, the tyres almost fell off. In my case, I was taking a 'that'll do' attitude and it didn't work.

Just out of interest, whereabouts in Sussex are you?

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
I hear that a drop of slightly diluted washing up liquid helps with popping the tyre on and off. ;)
Good idea. I did think about that but in the middle of the downs I obviously didn't have any. When the new tyre arrives I'll try some on the refit. Thanks. Maybe a sachet of It in the rucksack?

Reactions: LeighPing

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
The most obvious way to deal with the issue, is to actually go tubeless, and make sure that you carry one of these tubeless repair kits.

https://www.evanscycles.com/weldtite-tubeless-patch-kit-00103371

My side of sympathy extends to saying that I also snapped one of my favourite Pedro tyre levers removing a Nobby Nic plus size tyre.

http://www.bikegoo.co.uk/maintenance-c7/tools-chain-and-cassette-c40/pedros-tyre-levers-pair-p600

I realise that you said that you broke the bead and placed the tyre to the centre of the rim, but from my own experience you really do need to check that both sides of the tyre are sitting neatly in the centre before beginning, and take time and care in doing so. I found that with this done, the tyres almost fell off. In my case, I was taking a 'that'll do' attitude and it didn't work.

Just out of interest, whereabouts in Sussex are you?
Yes I'll have to consider tubeless I guess. Would a repair kit have dealt with the 10mm split? I did make sure that the bead was centred but like I say the rim is not very deep so didn't make a huge difference. It was so bloody tight!
But thanks for the reply. Pedros? Yes I think I once had a pair. I'll see how the Park tool levers go when I replace the tyre (inner is bulging through now!)
Brighton based, btw. Cheers. BB

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

it took me an hr to fit one of them mofo on my back wheel.

• Informative

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
The honest answer is that I don't know if the repair kit would fix a hole that size, but from looking at Seths Bike Hacks and other such places on Youtube, I suspect that it would certainly have helped. You would also be surprised by what size holes that tubeless sealant can repair, so perhaps the two combined might work

I only asked your location as I'll drop you my mobile number a little later. Hopefully you won't ever be stuck like that again, but if you call and I happen to be in the area, I'm more than happy to help.

It is probably unlikely that I would be in the area, but who knows. :)

Being stranded is a real pain.

• Useful

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Tubeless with repair kit would not have helped on a 10mm gash. Forget size, some tyres are easier to take off / put on than others so look for comments of ease of getting on and off. The park levers are superb and flex a little, i've never broken one.

Finally, if all fails and you get desperate filling tyre with grass really does work and gets you home slowly.

Paul smith

Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2016
Snapped a few levers in the past..i now use plastic coated metal ones they don,t scratch the rim..only used them once so far..they don,t bend and they do the job...the end is slightly thicker though so bit of a pita getting started...anyhows you probably know all this...got them from tredz.

• Useful

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
The honest answer is that I don't know if the repair kit would fix a hole that size, but from looking at Seths Bike Hacks and other such places on Youtube, I suspect that it would certainly have helped. You would also be surprised by what size holes that tubeless sealant can repair, so perhaps the two combined might work

I only asked your location as I'll drop you my mobile number a little later. Hopefully you won't ever be stuck like that again, but if you call and I happen to be in the area, I'm more than happy to help.

It is probably unlikely that I would be in the area, but who knows. :)

Being stranded is a real pain.
Thanks Eddie. That's really kind. i like to be as self sufficient as possible but that was one tough cookie. I really thought I was going to have to push the 6 or so miles back. I need to get my head around going tubeless. Sounds like there are issues with initial set up. Cheers. BB

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
  • Agree

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i cant run normal tyres on my bike as if i got 23psi in the rear there so thin i can pull them off the rim going round corners.

and its not come off yet or had any flats but i run tubeless ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

tubeless ready rims dont need rim tape but thats about it.

• Informative

marksman99999

Just Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Manchester
I had the same issue with the same tyre a few weeks ago at Llandegla. It took three of us (2 from Recoil Suspension) to get the tyre off and repair. Those 3” Nobby Nics are a nightmare to change!!!

I’ve now gone tubeless (set up by the LBS) and it does make the bike feel more nimble. Hopefully, I’ll not get another puncture (I mostly get pinch flats) for a long time.

• Informative

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
I had the same issue with the same tyre a few weeks ago at Llandegla. It took three of us (2 from Recoil Suspension) to get the tyre off and repair. Those 3” Nobby Nics are a nightmare to change!!!

I’ve now gone tubeless (set up by the LBS) and it does make the bike feel more nimble. Hopefully, I’ll not get another puncture (I mostly get pinch flats) for a long time.
Well it helps to know it wasn't just me being useless. Thanks I'm thinking I may have to go for tubeless at least till I buy a new pair and then I'll look for the heaviest slackest bits of rubber I can! B

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
I feel your pain, I have had experience removing an extremely tight tyre from my full sus non ebike. Essentially I couldn't even get a tyre lever under the bead to tease it over the rim, that's the only real problem. All tyres once unseated will come off, but you need to get both beads into the "dip" in the centre of the wheel to give enough slack to remove the tyre. I went through lots of tyre levers, looked online and got thoroughly fed up of all the "know it alls" on YouTube telling how to remove a tight tyre by prising it off with tyre levers.... they obviously haven't tried mine OR yours. Once you get the tyre in the middle of the rim its all a bit easier. Putting it back on make sure the bead goes into the dip in the rim, until you get the whole tyre back on. Then I use the pump to re-seat it in the bead, lots of pressure and "pop" it goes back in. I ALWAYS now try and remove tubes, tyres etc at home when i get a new bike. Try it out in the shed or garage in the dry first, once you master the technique it is much easier in the field.

Now the question - "how do you get the bead off the rim in the first place"

This is the best solution I have found on the internet from a guy who know what it's like, ignore all the others watch this, it works every time. Good Luck

Last edited:
Reactions: topographer

Bertyboy

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
Sussex
Thanks Ballynoes! There was plenty of pain to be felt!
However getting bead off the rim groove wasn't an issue. I got the bead into the centre as you say, but I think the problem was that the rims are not very deep from edge to middle being wider and flatter Plus rims. So the advantage of getting the bead to a narrower diameter centre section of the rim was negated pretty much.
I'm going to follow your advice and practice a few times in the comfort of my own garden, hope the neighbours are out...
Then I'm going to follow other various bits of advice from this thread; find an easier fitting tyre brand if I can, and then go tubeless too and pray I don't have to do a repair on the trail again.
Also I'm going to carry a Park Tool tyre repair patch in addition to the inner tube repair patches and still have a spare inner. And also have about 6 levers. That should cover it!

bigclick

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2014
I snapped levers quite a lot when changing Rocket Rons

I changed tyre type to Marathon Plus - I havent had a punture since (touch wood)

Ballynoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2017
Perthshire Scotland
Lots of good ideas and sugestions above, so if you give them all a go I am sure you will find a solution. I certainly find practicing in the comfort of the garage/shed a good starting point. Nothing worse than going for real in the wind and rain, as is always the case. Good Luck

Related Articles

Advertisers