A question about lumens.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
found this and it seems to offer a dipped beam
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B015FFO5DM
Reveiws look reasonable with just a few battery issues..
I see how it dips by changing to the single LED with the diffuser, similar to this one I use in my single cree light for round town and seems to work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEEN-ANGLE-DIFFUSER-LIGHTS-APERTURE/dp/B00DQ5IGMU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1506462735&sr=1-4-fkmr1&keywords=magicshine+diffuser

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
on the led ? it is a rubber dome you can cut them of but it reduces the beam degrees so you get a more focused beam like a laser if that makes sense.

Steve A

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2016
Ashford, UK
Bit pricey tho! The thing about the cheap Chinese crap that I have already is that its actually dam good apart from a slight weakness in the battery department, but you have to take that in with the price.. I do believe that a lot of the good stuff is made in China as well.
In most cases, get what you pay for. I was messing about with magnishine, gemini and cree led's etc over 8 years ago for good reason as lupine was king then and prices ran up to £700. Chinese batteries were always crap n never sealed, lights overheated etc
I'm sticking with what i said had my lights now for nearly 3 years and not 1 problem on all 3. If £ tight accept cheap chinese stuff works for a short time.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Look at the light. One side there is the yellow led and the other is different inside. Not just on the outside.
you lost me now lol what light ?

you can have a light with different colour leds ie some white and some yellow for different modes i guess cant say i have seen any tho but both will use the same power it would be switching between the two on the driver.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
In most cases, get what you pay for. I was messing about with magnishine, gemini and cree led's etc over 8 years ago for good reason as lupine was king then and prices ran up to £700. Chinese batteries were always crap n never sealed, lights overheated etc
I'm sticking with what i said had my lights now for nearly 3 years and not 1 problem on all 3. If £ tight accept cheap chinese stuff works for a short time.
My 2 hopes were £80 each and are the same . Robust and reliable.. just not too bright.

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
A bit expensive, but built by a flashlight genius, this is what I'm using:

https://skylumen.com/collections/v54-lights/products/bc30rvn

Fenix make good quality torches anyway, I've got one of their normal ones, but Vinh rebuilds them with upgraded LEDs and top quality batteries.

The brightest beam is definitely over the top for the road, and you've got to make sure that the light is angled a bit down, but as long as you can see the hotspot on the tarmac you'll not be dazzling other road users. It's also got runtime shown on an OLED, which I find really useful.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
If they are the vision 2 lights. I can make them a lot brighter
Interesting - I have a five year old Hope Vision 2 (480 lumen). The battery is in the twilight of it's career and they've since changed the batteries and connections. I'd quite like to revitalise it rather than throw away a decent light. Is that something you can help with Trouty?

Gaz

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mr Amazon done good. Ordered last night and delivered at 2pm today..
I tend to think the packaging is a good gauge of a product and in this case I was impressed. All seems ok, even a smiley face on the USB charging lead..
I have fitted the battery to the seat post for now and will try to get out and test it tonight,,

Attachments

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I still can't see how a spherical reflector can make a flat beam. You would think they would put a hood on the top to stop light leaking up, even my flat beam b+m has one of those...

I used my new one for the first time last night at speed (60+ km/h) and it performed perfectly, lighting the road as needed and no oncoming car flashed their lights at me.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I still can't see how a spherical reflector can make a flat beam. You would think they would put a hood on the top to stop light leaking up, even my flat beam b+m has one of those...

I used my new one for the first time last night at speed (60+ km/h) and it performed perfectly, lighting the road as needed and no oncoming car flashed their lights at me.
Which one was that exactly?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
b+m ixon iq premium

It has a very negative review on bike radar which made me scratch my head untill I saw he was using 2010 mAh batteries. I think that might be an issue, b+m recommend 2100 and I use 2500 mAh.

Sitting about 32 cm above the ground and doing 60 km/h I have no problem picking out tree roots that push up the asphalt on the side of the main road.

In fact his review sounds more like the standard model, I have both.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Don't be bone. Dip your own beam by pushing it downwards a bit. :)

In this video I'm using that inexpensive 'new best headlight' that we discussed last year. Which, after waterproofing the battery, is still going strong. The outer halo ring is set on strobe and the central light is on the lowest setting. It's a well lit area which gets darker near the end. None of the oncoming car drivers flashed their lights. So it's not too bright for oncoming traffic. Plenty light enough for road riding in poor conditions though.

You can have 16 complete sets of these, including the battery packs, for the cost of one single expensive light. Realistically, you could fit two to your bars without issue. Use them both safely together, or have one as a backup or spare. They also work well in the woods once you tilt the beam upwards a bit.

Waterproofing the battery and it's cardboard end covers is a quick, simple and effective 'Ghetto' job. :p

• Informative
Reactions: Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A quick test ride last night in the rain shows it seems to work. Short presses cycle through the dipped side and long presses through beam side. It came on to rain heavy so went home but the left side gave a good light similar to my other cree lamp and right side made a pool of light just in front of my wheel. You can have either or both lit.