A rare piece of history - Swizzbee

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Rode out this morning for a haircut and the 50c developed a fault during my 11 mile return journey,so need to have tinker to see if one can solve it.
The drive power delivery became sporadic and I found myself spinning out several times before regaining powered drive.
I haven't looked properly at the BB set up at all, but believe it is a TS drive though there is also what appears to be a peddle sensor on the non drive side. Thinking it is a fault here or an issue with the brushless motor, possibly worn or sticking brushes is one to look at.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
Do you have somewhere very secure to leave your rare piece of history while in the barber's? I can't get in and out of mine quick enough to feel comfortable risking it.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No barbers, wife is currently staying/caring for her elderly (92) Grandma who is frail so bike goes in to double garage whilst the wife does a nice hair cut.
The Swizzbee otherwise is not left for low life to steal though in all truth doubt at all it looks cool to them, the ignition code start sequence only allows 10 attempts to input the correct code after that it is bricked for life as no way of getting the unlock code.

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
No barbers, wife is currently staying/caring for her elderly (92) Grandma who is frail so bike goes in to double garage whilst the wife does a nice hair cut.
The Swizzbee otherwise is not left for low life to steal though in all truth doubt at all it looks cool to them, the ignition code start sequence only allows 10 attempts to input the correct code after that it is bricked for life as no way of getting the unlock code.
If every single OEM ebike was like that then thieves would know there's no point in bothering.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The other problem with the Swizzbee is that it is so unique you can't sell it without it getting spotted.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
And it would spell the end of ebikes as every mischievous kid had fun punching the buttons. A permanent lockout is a really stupid concept.
Originally the Swizzbee had an additional unlock code in case of bricking/lockout of the electronics but was never asked for or supplied with the bike by or to the original owner.
The bike is no longer in production and the company has ceased trading after being sold.
Contacting the company who supplied all the electronic know how has not enabled me to progress any further in case the situation ever arises.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Above in #41 I mentioned a power delivery fault, following some tinker time I rode a 30 mile route today ( delivered some honey) and all is well again.
The bike isn't TS but has 4 wire PAS set up fitted to the left crank side, I disconnected the connector to check for any wire issues however all seemed ok.
The other bit of tinkering I did was to remove the motor cover plate and remove all the brushes, wiped the armature and blew out the carbon dust. Having cleaned all inside refitted brushes ensuring good spring action and screwed the brush caps back on, I have a number/code which was printed on the brushes but so far not able to identify any replacement's if needed later at only approx. 6mm x 3mm x 18mm long.
Today the drive was faultless and was able to cruise along nicely again, a very brisk head wind made going a bit hard but was still able to progress along at 18- 20mph though used a bit more battery and with a taill wind 26.5mph without going mad My cell level ended up at 3.6v so still a few more miles available in the tank for this power hungry bike so roll on the nicer warmer and calmer days and I see some much nicer seaside visits to come.

• Informative
Reactions: PC2017 and flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I saw the listing but not the size I need, my spring brushes have a flat top bus bar on top which accommodate the phase female spade fit/wire.
I have messaged the seller and a description to see if he can help for the future.

I went over to Pedelecforum.de to try and find an answer and saw a post by Mechaniker, who say's the brushes for Swizzbee Heinzmann motor are no longer available. However his suggestion of getting a similar brush with top fitting and carefully filing it down by hand or on a grinder to match the original profile.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Ohh you should have videoed your tinkering, I would of loved to see how it was and how far they've come, however sounds like you had fun and there's absolutely no better feeling than fixing something you thought was dead - Well done good sir I tip my hat to you:cool:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Swizzbee brushed motor is a bit dated but the electronics were technical for ebikes in it's day, in general the bike in all aspects is over engineered. The mid mount motor behind the seat tube is a nice idea as there is no heavy unsprung hub weight to pedal. The brushed Heinzmann motor is probably a one off or an obsolete design and any major failure like bearings will all but make the motor unrepairable, there is a guy in Germany who is buying up/collecting obsolete/traded in Swizzbee component parts from Swiss bike retailers.
It appears he has a few spare parts likes motors, controllers, PAS & rear dif's but appears not for sale as they are for keeping his collection of them in use for years to come.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Above in #41 I mentioned a power delivery fault, following some tinker time I rode a 30 mile route today ( delivered some honey) and all is well again.
The bike isn't TS but has 4 wire PAS set up fitted to the left crank side, I disconnected the connector to check for any wire issues however all seemed ok.
The other bit of tinkering I did was to remove the motor cover plate and remove all the brushes, wiped the armature and blew out the carbon dust. Having cleaned all inside refitted brushes ensuring good spring action and screwed the brush caps back on, I have a number/code which was printed on the brushes but so far not able to identify any replacement's if needed later at only approx. 6mm x 3mm x 18mm long.
Today the drive was faultless and was able to cruise along nicely again, a very brisk head wind made going a bit hard but was still able to progress along at 18- 20mph though used a bit more battery and with a taill wind 26.5mph without going mad My cell level ended up at 3.6v so still a few more miles available in the tank for this power hungry bike so roll on the nicer warmer and calmer days and I see some much nicer seaside visits to come.
Somehow I had missed the posts where you had issues

I am very pleased you got the bike sort out even if a mystery why !

And yes , it's a fair weather headturner of a bike. Have fun !

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Talking of fair weather a short 12/13 miler this morning to see the wife who is caring for her ailing gran & and the Sb50c was in top form and performing well.
A respectable 18/19 mph along the slightly bumpy Worth Way which at the mo is nice dry and hard from the colder dry conditions, the route home along main A & B roads saw very good speeds of 27- 30.5mph on the flatter sections.

With the lack of spares (with regards to the leccy components and rear hub) and to keep the bike looking in good nick, I am only choosing dry nice weather conditions for use. Ideally what I really need is a defunct or a 2nd old unused bike for spares to keep this one working for many years.

Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Time for another rear hub dismantle after today's 68 mile ride out, the differential hub has a set of three pawls which engage /disengage depending on whether power is being used or not. During a spell of unpowered riding I climbed a short steepish ramp then afterwards the pawls or a pawl started to slip which meant I could only use powered drive.
This has happened before and found a pawl facing the wrong way so not engaging, it only requires one to fail to cause the drive slip when unpowered.

Winter sown OSR in full flower aside the A23 at Bolney.
DSCF0101.JPG

The old West pier at Brighton.
DSCF0103.JPG

Blackthorn in full flower along the Downs Link over quite a distance, one thing I noticed was the lack of insects making use of the plentiful forage available.
DSCF0104.JPG

Last edited:

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Ahh , warms the cockles this does....apart from the mechanical issues (which is beyond me tbh)

gutted to be stuck in office all day!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The old girl needs a bit of TLC every so often to keep her working, maybe the distances don't help. As you know K Swizzbee is a pleasure to ride it has very good acceleration & speed, unpowered an easy ride. My cycle fitness must be better then I thought as at times I can ride along unpowered and spin out at 19mph so much so that I am considering getting a normal bike again ( been looking at BMC alfine 8 with gates drive about 11kg).
The ride down to the coast and along on to Shoreham /airport and home via the DL is a favourite ride esp in conditions like today.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Stripped the differential hub down today for a good degrease and clean.
I'm trying to find a race for the old girl does anyone know it's proper name so I can try and find a replacement ?

DSCF0105.JPG

Some of the balls are loose and fall out as the ring is a bit distorted.
DSCF0106.JPG

Also looking for some pawls, I have a feeling that they may be DT Swiss.
CRC have a very similar item but can't be sure they are the same size.
8mm
DSCF0114.JPG

X 6.5mm
DSCF0113.JPG

DSCF0115.JPG

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Pic 1 & 2 found it, simples !!! A ball race cage.

• Agree