A worrying rattle

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
A few weeks ago I noticed a rattle when going over cobbles which was a sort of plasticky, mudguardy, pannier sort of rattle and as I have plastic mudguard and panniers I disregarded it..
Mistake..
Now with guards and panniers off it is still there and worryingly loud.. but when I lock the rear suspension it all but stops!
I have checked all the pivot bolts which are tight and there us no lateral movement or play anywhere...
Any ideas?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what is the psi in the shock ? and is it loosing air as could be the seals have gone.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
check the shock bolts as well ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well not much left other than the motor bolts.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
take the motor case of and check the bolts that hold it to the frame then ride it with out the covers on then take it from there.

;)

Reactions: Tom Rae

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
lol you can buy me one for Christmas and ill give you my bike ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho it could be the pivot bearings if you cant find anything else that is loose making noise like that as it would explane why its not there with the shock locked.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
tho it could be the pivot bearings if you cant find anything else that is loose making noise like that as it would explane why its not there with the shock locked.
That's what I thought but there is no play in any of them. It's not like the normal loose bolt clicks. it sounds just like a plastic mudguard when it flexes and vibrates on the bumps.
Although you won't know what mudguards rattle like... LoL

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a mud guard but not as you know it ;) tho even tho there is no play in the bearings crud inside them will make noise had to change my head set because it was making noises.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Took covers off and all tight inside so decided to give it a clean. Wheels off, chain, cassette and changer all in bits and now all looking newish... which seems to have fixed it!
Don't understand.. been down a cobbled road and it's as quiet as it's ever been.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why do you think i keep my bike so clean;) cos its cheaper than leaving it and replacing parts and making noises you cant find :D

Related Articles

Advertisers