About to purchase Kalkhoff Agattu 8 - advice appreciated

PH001

Pedelecer
May 18, 2016
Harrogate, N. Yorks
Batteries perform best when used loads. What worries me about having 2 batteries is that one of them becomes forgotten. Better to use one bigger battery.
Unless we are completely misunderstanding each other here your post makes no sense whatsoever. The voltages of two batteries in parallel are always the same so they both discharge at precisely the same rate.

Reactions: JuicyBike

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Unless we are completely misunderstanding each other here your post makes no sense whatsoever. The voltages of two batteries in parallel are always the same so they both discharge at precisely the same rate.
He's talking about another battery carried as a spare to swap with the other battery.

Reactions: JuicyBike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As Arstu says, for individual use in sequence. The Impulse unit Kalkhoffs have the battery mounting directly onto the motor unit, making setting up for parallel use difficult.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
bosch has a cable coming out next year that you can use 2 batts at the same time so you could have a 1000w 2 500w batts.

no idea what it looks like tho or how they will be both mounted.

Manchester Lass

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 6, 2016
Manchester
Thanks for all the input; I've now ridden the Volt Kensington and took a trip to New Mills to look at the decent range there, had a ride on a Juicy bike and a Raleigh Motus (thanks for the tip JuicyBike & Angel North). The guy at the shop was really helpful and very knowledgeable. Being just 5' is one of the biggest challenges but I could handle the Motus OK, even with the big wheels. Helpfully Raleigh have introduced a Motus with 26" wheels, unhelpfully it's bright pink! Why they think women want pink stuff is beyond me - so if it's to be a Motus I'll go for the 28" wheels rather than have the shame of riding a pink bike! I'm going to go back for another ride on the Kalkhoff tomorrow and then I'll make the decision. It's Raleigh vs Kalkhoff at the moment!

Reactions: flecc

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Sorry not to be clear. I am indeed talking about the pros and cons of carrying a spare battery rather than a large battery.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Thanks for all the input; I've now ridden the Volt Kensington and took a trip to New Mills to look at the decent range there, had a ride on a Juicy bike and a Raleigh Motus (thanks for the tip JuicyBike & Angel North). The guy at the shop was really helpful and very knowledgeable. Being just 5' is one of the biggest challenges but I could handle the Motus OK, even with the big wheels. Helpfully Raleigh have introduced a Motus with 26" wheels, unhelpfully it's bright pink! Why they think women want pink stuff is beyond me - so if it's to be a Motus I'll go for the 28" wheels rather than have the shame of riding a pink bike! I'm going to go back for another ride on the Kalkhoff tomorrow and then I'll make the decision. It's Raleigh vs Kalkhoff at the moment!
Pleased Leigh and Alasdair helped today. If you need to follow up just give us a call.

Reactions: Manchester Lass

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Being just 5' is one of the biggest challenges but I could handle the Motus OK, even with the big wheels. Helpfully Raleigh have introduced a Motus with 26" wheels, unhelpfully it's bright pink! Why they think women want pink stuff is beyond me - so if it's to be a Motus I'll go for the 28" wheels rather than have the shame of riding a pink bike!
My GF is about your height and loves her 28" wheel bike. Living by the sea it is getting to the point where the rust has to be removed and she is wondering if she wants it painted metallic pink... As a fashion statement! The other colour she likes is metallic baby blue. Now that she has seen my matt black frame she is humming and haing again... :rolleyes:

Manchester Lass

Jun 6, 2016
Manchester
My GF is about your height and loves her 28" wheel bike. Living by the sea it is getting to the point where the rust has to be removed and she is wondering if she wants it painted metallic pink... As a fashion statement! The other colour she likes is metallic baby blue. Now that she has seen my matt black frame she is humming and haing again... :rolleyes:
I thought the wheels looked really big till I got on it and then it was absolutely fine - I think I'd quickly get used to it - and because the seat post went down I could easily touch the floor as well. As for the colour, matt black sounds pretty cool!!

Donna

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2016
Devon
I thought the wheels looked really big till I got on it and then it was absolutely fine - I think I'd quickly get used to it - and because the seat post went down I could easily touch the floor as well. As for the colour, matt black sounds pretty cool!!
Hello

Which bike did you end up getting. I am in process of testing out e bikes but at 4ft 11. I'm really struggling. Mine is for leisure use & short commute so battery life not an issue but size is. I have a chance of a kalkhoff ex demo bike so thought it might be worth considering. I struggled on the 28" Motus but not had chance to try the 26" yet

Thanks

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Donna, not Mcr Lass, but am 5' tall, so similar problems sourcing right bike. Look at thread 'hub to crank' where you'll see I've bought the 26"wheel Raleigh Captus- pretty much same at Modus only cheaper though lower spec. It's perfect for my short legs and short arm reach. Hope this helps.

Rosie

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Hello

Which bike did you end up getting. I am in process of testing out e bikes but at 4ft 11. I'm really struggling. Mine is for leisure use & short commute so battery life not an issue but size is. I have a chance of a kalkhoff ex demo bike so thought it might be worth considering. I struggled on the 28" Motus but not had chance to try the 26" yet

Thanks
Strangely my wife who is only just over 5ft tried the Motus at New Mills and was extremely comfortable on it, but on other so called smaller frame bikes has found them not suitable at all. Had to settle for a small folder. I also rode the same bike and am 6ft and also felt very comfortable. Not an expert in these things but can only assume that it's something to do with frame geometry

gray

Manchester Lass

Jun 6, 2016
Manchester
Hello

Thanks
Hi Donna,

Sorry I've not replied sooner, I've been away on holiday and offline for while. I've now had the Raleigh Motus for a few months and am regularly commuting on it, riding to the station and taking the train into the city. I also do a fair few miles all over Manchester at the weekends. I've got on just fine with the 28" bike - size wise it's absolutely fine. The main difficulty I have with it is the weight of it, lugging it on and off the train was quite a challenge when I first started, but I'm getting used to it.

It's probably worth mentioning that I did have to take the suspension seat off and just have a regular one; and that made all the difference.

Spec-wise, it's right up there with the Kalkhoff and I've never regretted opting for the Raleigh.
I'm sure the 26" Motus is now available so, if you haven't got a bike by now, it might be worth giving it a try.

Hope this is useful.

Last edited: