Adding different ampages

coolreptile

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2018
I am running 60v 18ah on my rear wheel and 48v 20ah on my front wheel and just acquired another 60v 15ah battery. Will this just slowly destroy my second battery if I add it to my rear 60v 18ah or will it be fine or should I just swap my 48v front battery and go for 60v on each wheel as its a lot less ampage

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ah in batteries equates to range/mileage and is the over capacity of said battery.
The individual cells have an amp discharge rating which is a rating they can supply X by how many cells are linked in parallel.
If the parallel rating isn't high enough for the controller load asked then battery voltage sags or collapses heavily.
Both 60v batteries can be run in parallel and will decrease in voltage pretty much in step with each other, only connect them in parallel if both battery voltages ( the nearer the better) are within 0.5v or less. Other wise damage can occur due to excessive heat transfer, heat is caused by high amp load transfer from one to the other as the voltage equalises.

Reactions: coolreptile

coolreptile

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 24, 2018
Cheers nealh I will check the voltages of both the 60v batteries when they are both fully charged and if they are out by more than 0.5 I will put the new battery on my front wheel instead of the 48v one and see how long it lasts between charges. I didn't know that as little as 0.5v difference could destroy my se on battery I was more concerned that the different ampage could be potentially troublesome instead Oh well possibly another 1-2 mph faster if its put on my front wheel instead as a little faster is always more fun lol.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes. The resistance of a fully charged battery is measured in milliOhms and a difference of 0.5v with 1 mill ohm will allow a current of 500 amp!. .. now it does not get that large, only because the resistance of the wire and contacts needs to be added.
If you want to make a mega battery ...discharge both battery packs normally and place a resistance, .. a lamp bulb from a cheap 1.5v torch will do and eventually the batteries will equalise... The bulb might glow dull red for as while, but will eventually go of. Remove the lamp and replace with a wire link and charge normally. If there is a minute difference between the BMS on both batteries, the lower one will determine the maximum voltage attained by the combination..

• Agree
Reactions: coolreptile

Advertisers