Advice for a first build

AviatorTrainman

Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2018
Arizona, USA
More questions!

I was looking on BMSbattery again, and I discovered that they have a bottom bracket torque sensor. Does anyone have experience with this system? I can't seem to find any information on the controller that comes with it, the S06ST controller. I know that it's a sine wave controller, but if it's a torque sensing version of the S06S, I would assume that the 48v version would have some other controller, since the S06S only goes up to 36 volts. Any idea what that would be? Thanks.

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
Ive ridden torque sensors on production ebikes. Very nice, but for me, the torque simulation mode with 5 level PAS on a KT-controller is fine.

In addition, I have my reservations about a kit implementation for a torque sensor being any good for rideability and durability.

D

Deleted member 4366

Torque sensors are a complete waste of space. I wouldn't have one on any of my bikes if I could avoid it. It's much better to have a normal PAS so that you can choose how much power you get.

For a torque sensor to work properly, you need sophisticated software that integrates pedal speed, bike speed and pedal force to get anywhere near anything sensible. Even then, you're stuck if you can't pedal hard enough.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
I have to agree,torque sensors are a waste of time,i have many years experience on both systems and pedal assist power is much better than torque sensing.I just adjust the power level required at the console and go from there.