Advice for a newbie thinking of a 20 mile commute

DaveE

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Stockport
Hi. Thinking of getting an electric bike and found this site over the course of my research. Looks a great resource.

I'm after a bike for commuting (I'm using a cycle to work scheme, so my budget's £1000 max).

My commute would be about ten miles each way, and has a rise/fall of 174 feet (the slightly uphill journey is the evening one). The main issue is a large valley in roughly the middle of the journey (it's basically the A6 through the centre of Stockport if anyone knows that), so there's going to be a steepish climb of around 100 feet in a mile in either direction (is that steep? I always though it was on a pushbike. Apologies if it sounds a bit pathetic :)).

I don't want the bike to do all the work, and I'm hoping that non-assisted pedalling on the flatter bits will give me some much needed exercise, but I just don't want to knacker myself on that middle hill!

I've always been a keen cycling commmuter in the past - used to do a 14-15 mile round trip in my 20s-30s and after changing job a 7 mile round trip in my 30s-40s, but 20 miles at my age (53) on a non-assisted bike is simply a no-no.

My research has led me to believe the Decathlon elops 900 would have enough kick to get me up those hills, and bring the commute down to well under an hour each way. They seem to have brought out a new version recently, although I've not seen it reviewed on this site (I'd be happy to rectify that if I do get one).

It did get a good review here - the review highlights the alloy frame, front suspension fork, disk brakes and a pretty powerful battery. I don't want to buy a white elephant, though - if it won't get me up the hills, it'd be pointless. Reading other comments on here, I suppose the other variable is my own weight. I'm overweight at 5' 11" and 16.5 stones (although hoping to reduce that with the exercise...).

I've seen Woosh bikes (Krieger/Bali) get decent reviews as well, but I don't think they're an approved supplier for my particular scheme.

Sorry if that's been a bit rambling, but would appreciate any thoughts people might have. A simple "yes"/"no" to the question "will that Decathlon bike get me up that hill?" would probably suffice...

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Looking into this myself. Some experience.

36V 8.8AH might do not do it.

Maybe: 36 volt, 11.6 Ah battery

Minimum 17 AH, 36 Volt ???

Important

Get a second opinion. Let me know please?

The relationship is simple to explain: a battery with a 10Ah capacity is theoretically capable of supplying 1 ampere of current for 10 hours (or 10 amperes for 1 hour). Multiply that by the voltage the battery supplies – in e-bikes this is usually 36v, although 24v and 48v systems are also available – and you get the capacity in watt-hours, since power – measured in watts – is simply the voltage multiplied by the current. So a 10Ah, 36V battery is 360 Watt hours (Wh). http://ebiketips.co.uk/content/advice/advice/all-about-electric-bike-batteries-54

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DaveE

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Assuming the bike is the one in the link below it should do the job.

Not clear who makes the motor, but it's running at 36v and has a reasonably sized 11.6ah battery.

That should get you there and back, even if you use higher assist modes to reduce the effort you put in.

The battery will need charging each day, because it's unlikely to have enough capacity to do two return trips, unless you ride only on lowest assist.

Spec looks roughly what you usually get for £1,000, although cable discs is a bit mean.

They require a bit of fettling in comparison to hydraulics which are all but maintenance free.

Easy and cheapish to change the front - you hardly use the back so you could leave that as is.

Or you could probably get a similar bike with hydraulics.

Have a google for Ebco which are widely available on Cycle to Work.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/elops-900-e-electric-city-bike-id_8379381.html

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus and DaveE

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You are the major unknown here.
That bike would normally allow me to easily do 20 miles in 1.5 hours.
I would consider 100 ft of climbing in a mile as virtually flat.
If my athsma was playing up I couldn't do 2 miles on it.
We are same age but I'm 100kg if that helps.
The speed you expect is important too. Doing 10 mph is easy and shouldn't require much from the bike. Trying to do 16 mph is much harder.

The most important rule is to test ride multiple bikes first.
Do that and you should have a good idea of your range and bikes abilities.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Giving range details from a specific ah battery has to many variables as has been said very often, terrain, weight, assist level, rider input/fitness, weather etc,etc.
However with a willing rider and input 11ah should give you 40 - 45 miles when new and as a year or 2 pass will lose 10 - 15% with ageing, regular use and charging after each decent ride will get the best out of a battery and prolong its life.

• Informative

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
Hi. Thinking of getting an electric bike and found this site over the course of my research. Looks a great resource.

I'm after a bike for commuting (I'm using a cycle to work scheme, so my budget's £1000 max).

My commute would be about ten miles each way, and has a rise/fall of 174 feet (the slightly uphill journey is the evening one). The main issue is a large valley in roughly the middle of the journey (it's basically the A6 through the centre of Stockport if anyone knows that), so there's going to be a steepish climb of around 100 feet in a mile in either direction (is that steep? I always though it was on a pushbike. Apologies if it sounds a bit pathetic :)).

I don't want the bike to do all the work, and I'm hoping that non-assisted pedalling on the flatter bits will give me some much needed exercise, but I just don't want to knacker myself on that middle hill!

I've always been a keen cycling commmuter in the past - used to do a 14-15 mile round trip in my 20s-30s and after changing job a 7 mile round trip in my 30s-40s, but 20 miles at my age (53) on a non-assisted bike is simply a no-no.

My research has led me to believe the Decathlon elops 900 would have enough kick to get me up those hills, and bring the commute down to well under an hour each way. They seem to have brought out a new version recently, although I've not seen it reviewed on this site (I'd be happy to rectify that if I do get one).

It did get a good review here - the review highlights the alloy frame, front suspension fork, disk brakes and a pretty powerful battery. I don't want to buy a white elephant, though - if it won't get me up the hills, it'd be pointless. Reading other comments on here, I suppose the other variable is my own weight. I'm overweight at 5' 11" and 16.5 stones (although hoping to reduce that with the exercise...).

I've seen Woosh bikes (Krieger/Bali) get decent reviews as well, but I don't think they're an approved supplier for my particular scheme.

Sorry if that's been a bit rambling, but would appreciate any thoughts people might have. A simple "yes"/"no" to the question "will that Decathlon bike get me up that hill?" would probably suffice...

Everyone recommends you a bike but the only recommendation you should go by is the one that feels right for you try every e-bike on the market and get a feel for them all and then make your decision

if need to come back to the forum and ask if people have got the bike and see what their input is on the bike

it doesn't matter how many bikes you try they are taken the money off you at some point just enjoy trying all the brands and models

if you are going to be using it regular for yourself then you want to be making the right decision in the long run instead of buying another model in say 12 months time

The finest advice i will give you pick one that has a good battery to get you up and down the hills not enough battery is not getting you anywhere
best to have to much battery then not enough

• Agree
Reactions: DaveE and 2Lazy

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Most cycle to work schemes now allow you to add a little extra cash of your own , unlike a few years ago, this may help a little to get best you can/ open up the marketplace a little more to you.

Sarabee

Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2017
Lincolnshire
Hi Dave

I know that road well (old Stockport Convent High School girl :) ) and my bike is nothing special but I wouldn't hesitate to go up and down there.

As the others say, try a few and buy the best you can afford that suits you because these bikes make you feel like a kid again and you just want to be out on them.

Reactions: ncpdnc and DaveE
D

Deleted member 4366

The Decathlon 900e looks OK. Everything looks standard, so no problem with spare parts.The battery will easily have enough capacity. I used to commute 15 miles each way with a 8 Ah (288 Wh) battery. I'm 100kg and lots of hills on my commute.

One thing though. don't come here afterwards asking how to derestrict it. We know how to do some, but not that one.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire

Hi Dave
We're near you at Disley, next to New Mills on the A6. You'd be very welcome to test any of our bikes along that route and we're approved for most cycle to work schemes.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

... You won't get people on this forum tut tutting about a desire to use an ebike for a 10 mile journey. .. Leave that to the Lycra brigade.
Travelling 10 miles regularly is highly feasible, will take the guts of 45 minutes or more, and you will know you have been excercised. It is also easily within the capability of any geared hub motor or central crank drive motor available. A 300whr battery should suffice, but it is better to get a bigger one, in case you want to use more assist or for improved battery lifetime. You will have picked up that fully discharging a modern lithium battery is not conducive to long lifetime.
You are 105kg and with a bike the total will be under 130kg. That will limit your choices. My raliegh Motus for instance. Is specified up to 120 kg. You will also need one with very good braking, . As others have said hydraulic brakes are much nicer. Whether you need front shocks on a road bike is debatable, but a seat post suspension is a nice feature, which your back and probably backside will thank you daily

Riding stance is a personal matter, so as others have advised, you need to test ride a few.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think there are 3 main aspects to consider when choosing a bike for commuting: the bike needs to be fully equipped for all weather riding, easy and pleasant to be pedaled without power, the motor needs to be appropriate to your weight to give you a reasonable amount of torque on hills and the battery, which is as usual as big in capacity and as light as possible.
If you go for a conversion then it's easy to start with a reasonably high end bike but esthetically, the electrics does not usually 'hang' well with the bike and the wiring is much more exposed to rain water than a factory built bike.
If you go for a factory built bike, then for your weight, you will need a high performance bike rather than a run of the mill one. Most of them start at around £2k.
That leaves just one candidate (beside the Woosh bikes :)) for your budget, the Greenway with the Bafang MaxDrive is worth a look.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Soon to buy an ebike. It will have to be a compromise.

I will buy it from a shop in case of faults. Raleigh or Kalkhoff currently favorites ahead of those available from Giant and Halfords and private dealers. Five bike shops in town to choose from. More in Brighton not too far away.

What irks me right now is the lack of information provided for spare parts etc, repair and service, the two year warranty (at least 3 years wanted) with ludicrous restrictions/exclusions. It is like extracting your own teeth trying ot get information and some of it I don't believe, e.g. the real range of the batteries in practice.

I've got to get one, and soon, because of arthritis and straight handlebars are a big disincentive.

Last edited:

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
... You won't get people on this forum tut tutting about a desire to use an ebike for a 10 mile journey. .. Leave that to the Lycra brigade.
Travelling 10 miles regularly is highly feasible, will take the guts of 45 minutes or more, and you will know you have been excercised. It is also easily within the capability of any geared hub motor or central crank drive motor available. A 300whr battery should suffice, but it is better to get a bigger one, in case you want to use more assist or for improved battery lifetime. You will have picked up that fully discharging a modern lithium battery is not conducive to long lifetime.
You are 105kg and with a bike the total will be under 130kg. That will limit your choices. My raliegh Motus for instance. Is specified up to 120 kg. You will also need one with very good braking, . As others have said hydraulic brakes are much nicer. Whether you need front shocks on a road bike is debatable, but a seat post suspension is a nice feature, which your back and probably backside will thank you daily

Riding stance is a personal matter, so as others have advised, you need to test ride a few.

Little experience of hydraulic brakes. Is it correct they are longer lasting? Disc brakes with cables are a waste of money.

I agree about suspension.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Little experience of hydraulic brakes. Is it correct they are longer lasting? Disc brakes with cables are a waste of money.

I agree about suspension.
.. the Motus , which is the only modern bike i have experience of, has rim brakes with hydraulic cables( Tubes? ):. I find them excellent for road use. Firm responsive, . There will be those on this forum who suggest that unless you have disc brakes you are not at the races ... I would see this as yet another expense and another part to be replaced I could see an argument for them on a MTB, where the rims will be very muddy or wet but for road use ??

• Agree
Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
.. the Motus , which is the only modern bike i have experience of, has rim brakes with hydraulic cables( Tubes? ):. I find them excellent for road use. Firm responsive, . There will be those on this forum who suggest that unless you have disc brakes you are not at the races ... I would see this as yet another expense and another part to be replaced I could see an argument for them on a MTB, where the rims will be very muddy or wet but for road use ??
My shortlisted Beat Bike Toba (with Impulse 2.2) has hydraulic rim brakes and these are efficient but not fierce in the dry. Reports say the blocks wear out, but I find I cycle hardly using my brakes, but it is more on an ebike as motorists misjudge your quicker speed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You could start a whole new thread on pro's and cons of brakes ( there has already been one or two).
HDB's are a good step forward even on any bike for road use as they offer good stopping even in the wet. Once working there is little to go wrong except to change worn pads every 1- 3 k miles.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hydraulic rim brakes are much lighter than disks and work fine in the wet. I have one on the front and a cable rim brake on the rear and, touching wood, have been able to stop a few times when I really needed to. On the steel fork bike I could pop stoppies whenever I needed to impress a member of the opposite sex :D On the suspension bike I haven't managed to lift the rear wheel yet, the suspension fork absorbing energy and thus improving braking performance. Over 5000 km and still on the original Magura brake blocks on the front.

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

RRC

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 28, 2017
Peoria, Illinois USA
The one law of eBikes is buy as much battery as you can afford, maybe more. I'm always amused by folks that are considering replacing the purpose of an automobile with a bicycle, but put a very restrictive price on that replacement. Consider how much you will save in gasoline in just a few months. Charging the batteries costs peanuts! Personally I own a Haibike XDURO Trekking SRX and Full Seven S RX. Both of these expensive bikes don't come close to half of what we spend on a car. I don't smile and get the incredible benefit to my health and well driving in the car. Ridden safely, consider the benefit of bike riding that will increase your health and longevity. Think those benefits should limit your bike spending? I'll be 65 years old latter this year. Adding a couple of healthy years seems quite important to me right now! My first eBike was a Sondors, so I know cheap and I know expensive. Expensive is worth every penny.