Advice needed on light weight step through ebike

Sheffmax

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2013
Sheffield
Having seen me on my new Freego Eagle my wife is interested in an ebike for herself. She currently has a Ridgeback Speed which weighs about 30 lbs or 14kg and has a nice step through so would like an ebike that compares with that. The budget would be around the £1200 mark. Does anyone have any recommendations or is this asking to much?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
"Lightweight' and 'ebike' don't really go together.

Weight high up is worst of all, so a lot of ebike step throughs feel even heavier because the battery is on the carrier.

A step through with the battery low down behind the seatpost will feel lighter and more agile.

I would go for 26" wheels because 700cc or 29ers make for a big ungainly bike which a lady is less likely to get on with.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You should have a look at The Bike Tree in Dore (assuming you live in Sheffield). They have some Juicy Classics to try.

Our latest 28" Classic is only just in the country about to join our retailers in the next few weeks, for the time being only available to try at our workshop in New Mills.

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
Have to say you are unlikely to get anywhere near 14kg weight, but if she knows your Freego, she probably knows that already.
What about the Momentum Model T at 23Kg? Not sure how well the 2 speed auto would cope with hills, but it gets good reviews. My own Smarta LX8 is a step through, climbs hills well but does weigh a bit - especially at the back. Not one for for flat dwellers.

Bill

Last edited:

SarahJane

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 15, 2013
The Kentish Alps
Second vote for the Momentum. Mine is recently back from separate trips to SW France and The Netherlands, coping well with fairly high mileage, and proving fairly easy to load inside our moderate-sized car. It is fine on hills, once you get the knack - no shortage of hills near home. I love the ride, and the really low stepthrough is the icing on the cake for me. (No connection with the firm!)
Hope you find something you both like.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
What about the new KTM Macina Compact with 24" wheels. It is a very handy bike with Bosch drive. Ladies like the ease of mount/dismount. We have our first sample coming in next week. If you google 'KTM Macina Compact' will reveal photos but it is not on KTM's website.
The weight is about 21kg,difficult to get lighter than that.
Tom
LEBC,London

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The problem you will have is that you want lightweight and step thru. To get stiffness and the step thru design it is necessary to increase the frame material thickness and often gusset the seat tube to down tube junction,this considerably increases the weight.
A step thru design is normally above 24 kg in weight and with LifePo4 about 27kg.
I have often thought that a step thru should have a carbon frame,the sculptured shape lends itself to carbon but I doubt whether anyone would pay the price.
Could you live with 20" wheels,our Secret bike is 18kg and £725.00
KudosDave

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We should be getting our first Momentum e bikes in next week if you decide to go for one. Very impressed when I rode it at Redbridge.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
my misses has an oxygen diva step through that is excellent - while its not lightweight (23kg iirc) the weight is distributed well, it feels lightweight and handles well, the battery sits behind the seat and the motor flies along with the misses (who is 5'2 and about 8 stone) and does a fairly good job with my 100kg too. The battery is huge and is good for a realistic 60 miles with it on low assist.

I really can't recommend it enough ! its slightly over your budget i think (1350) but we got our for less (and it has lights, mudgaurds and carrier as standard.)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
AVE CH Edition is a good bike, we stock these as well.

Great brakes, lights probably best value bike I have seen based on the spec.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
I'd agree with that (despite recommending the diva - i'm such a tart ;) ), its a beautiful bike to ride as well (that was the other on the shortlist when we got the diva) but the power wasn't as good up hills (though i think that was hauling me around to be fair) and the range wasn't close to the oxygen.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
The Diva is a good bike we sold a pre-owned one a while back, it appeared to assist up to 17mph ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Plus one for the Diva. Last year at the Cycle show, all those that tried it reported that it was a really nice bike to ride. The seat can go very low, so it's good for people that are too small to ride other step-throughs. The latest model has the Dapu motor, which is strong and smooth, and it can be de-restricted via the panel settings.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Sheffmax

Pedelecer
Sep 5, 2013
Sheffield
Thanks for all your responses. I'll be dropping into the Bike Tree at Dore to have a look at their range. I'll be cycling over which I would never had considered before I got my Eagle. We'll be going to Norfolk soon and will also have a look at the models available there.

You've also provided us with several alternatives to consider so it looks like a spreadsheet of pros, cons, prices, weights, etc. is called for.

The great thing about entering into a new world, in this case ebikes, is the ready made communities of experts and enthusiasts that comes with it.

Thanks again.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
You've also provided us with several alternatives to consider so it looks like a spreadsheet of pros, cons, prices, weights, etc. is called for.
In my business, i'm known as something of an analyst (at least the first half is true) but in the ebike world, ride everything you can afford, and choose the one she likes best :)

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We are based in Norfolk as you are probably aware. Be sure to pay us a visit, happy to answer any questions before you arrive.

All the best David