advice on connectors please

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Hi there, my conversion project is making progress, so I'd welcome some advice now on making the connections to the controller, specifically the battery cables and the motor phase wires.

I read on another thread about the perils of poor connections, and that generally bullet connectors aren't highly thought of. What's a good alternative for the relatively high current battery cables? I've no knowledge in this area so I've been doing some googling and come across mention of an EC3 connector, which looks as though it might be suitable. Another possibility seems to be a KT60? I'd prefer not to simply solder, as then the battery will be permanently connected to the controller unless the wires are cut.

Also are there any suggestions for the 3 phase wires from the motor? Although I might just solder those anyway, since there's already a connector at the other end (the waterproof 9 pin plug).

Thanks in advance

D

Deleted member 4366

The bullets generally work OK, so nothing to panic about. Just make sure that they're tight. The phase wires are more problematic than the battery wires. If you're worried, just cut the connectors off and solder them together. Who ever takes the controller off afterwards? Even if you needed to, it's just as quick to cut the wires as it is to disconnect.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The only thing to watch out for with the bullets is the insulation covers, heat eventually gets to them and they shrink and split .

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
The only thing to watch out for with the bullets is the insulation covers, heat eventually gets to them and they shrink and split .
I'm not an expert but that's my experience, solder seems to be the answer.
Dave.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
XT60 for me, I don't have a switch so the battery is unplugged from the controller every ride since June 2016.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I should have added that a couple of layers of heat shrink in place of the insulation sleeving will prevent shorting if not direct soldering, though heat shrink is still required.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick

malkie0831

Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2016
GB
Another vote for XT60’s here, though they need patience when you are soldering them as the shells melt easily. You can also get the larger XT90 with spark suppression built in.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/10/29/xt60-xt90-with-spark-arrestors-why-you-should-make-the-switch/

I would not use ‘Tamiya Connectors’ with a 36 or 48 volt system, I’ve seen then melt with just a 7.2 volt Ni-Cad pack in an RC car. Yes I know the currents are high in RC cars, but there are better connectors out there.

https://www.electricbike.com/ebike-connectors/

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Mine are working fine with no apparent heat damage. The joy of them from my perspective is that they don't short out if water gets in. With the state of my battery set up, that is not unforeseeable...