Advice on Kalkhoff Bikes Please

Fuggs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2016
Stamford Lincs
Hi guys
My wife and I need to change our ebikes, we have a couple of Smarta's, one a step through and the other a sport commuter.
Whilst they have been ultra reliable, the batteries are getting tired.

So we looked long and hard and have come up with the Jubilee Excite i7, with the 603Wh batt. and belt drive for her, and the integrali for myself.
Getting on a bit in years, ease of riding when we want the effort, and long range, with maximum assist when needed are priorities. We travel away by 'van with a Thule twin bike carrier, so light weight would be good.

I am a little bamboozled by the huge choice out there, (We did look at the Halford range) but keep going back to the Kalkhoff bikes as they look well made.

Any advice from experience on these bikes, or recommendation for any others would be gratefully received.

Thanks

F

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Fuggs, really glad you found the Smarta bikes reliable. Did you know you can trade them in with us against some new models or we can refurbish them to 518Wh for a very reasonable price? Just get in touch by email Community@ElectricBikeSales.co.uk if you'd like to discuss more.

If reliability is still going to be important I would suggest sticking to the Bosch or Yamaha motor systems.
You may not get such large batteries for the money but your budget will be spent on quality. We have some great offers on our website: www.ElectricBikeSales.co.uk

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you went the recell route Jimmy at BGA/Insat could possibly up your batteries wh by may be as much as 30% with better newer/modern cells.

Fuggs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 26, 2016
Stamford Lincs
If you are happy with your Smarta's and they have been reliable, have you not considered new batteries for them? Not sure which motor is in the Kalkoff bikes you are looking at, but if it the Impulse 2, I would do a search on here and see if it changes your mind.

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ongoing-reliability-of-kalkhoff-focus-impulse-2-motors.24290/
Yeh Hai Cambridge guys we in fact brought the bikes off you in the first place we had to previous and I've always found the smart is really good and reliable but like everything else you get a bit fed up with the same thing plus the fact they really heavy bikes and I did run out of power one day boy did I know I was paddling that thing back so you know technology moves on and I think it's time we moved on on bikes as well which is one of the reasons we looked at the kalkhoff bikes
The ones who looking at have the imports Motors in we chose those over the Bosch because they have a higher output talkwise and capacity battery wise but we're very happy to scoot off down Cambridge you're anywhere and have another look elsewhere I must admit we did like cubes
But hey you've got my contact and if you think you can help us there by all means come back to me thanks again