Advice on kit suitability for Bergamont Mtb

Jmckeever

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2017
Derry
Hi guys just wondering if the conversion kits would be suitable for a carbon frame Bergamont mountain bike about 4 years old. Bike to be used for Leisure but wife has a volt pulse so would like both bikes to have roughly same range. I have not bought the Mtb yet or should I just buy another e bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a decent enough bike. You can make a bike better than you can buy with that.
Nice and simple if you copy what I have:
48v 328 rpm motor
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/769-q128c-135mm-500w-rear-driving-ebike-hub-motor-wheel-ebike-kit.html?search_query=Q128C&results=2
48v battery including 20A sinewave controller and other stuff
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/680-48v116ah-bottle-09-panasonic-battery-pack-battery.html

Easy installation, a lot of torque, speed into the mid 20s (if you want it), and completely silent.

Jmckeever

Oct 22, 2017
Derry
Many thanks for the reply guys. Just a few more points about the Mtb.
Would the battery be fitted where the water bottle carrier is and would it need any more fixing holes
Would the fact that the bike is carbon and light have any issues with these kits
The bike owner has it advertised for £400 would that be reasonable and worth converting.
Speed is not a major factor for me more range , some hills but nothing too serious would 11.6 battery have a decent range if not needing much assistance

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Would the battery be fitted where the water bottle carrier is and would it need any more fixing holes
Good point! I forgot to think about that.
If it were my bike, I would make a 3D printed harness to avoid adding one or two M5 rivnuts to the downtube.
Would the fact that the bike is carbon and light have any issues with these kits
It should be straghtforward. The pedal sensor is easy to sort out with a 3D printed holder.
11.6 battery have a decent range if not needing much assistance
If you are talking about my kit, it comes with 48V 12AH battery, giving you a range of around 40-45 miles on flat roads.

D

Deleted member 4366

Many thanks for the reply guys. Just a few more points about the Mtb.
The bike owner has it advertised for £400 would that be reasonable and worth converting.
Speed is not a major factor for me more range , some hills but nothing too serious would 11.6 battery have a decent range if not needing much assistance
Sorry, I forgot that it's carbon. That really makes it complicated.

Forget about a down-tube battery. Instead, you should use a battery in a triangle bag.

You need to study your rear drop-outs to see where the metal starts and ends, and how well it's attached to the carbon. If you're not careful, it could twist the drop-outs out of the carbon tubes. For a rear motor, I think you'd need to fabricate some special torque arms that can spread the load along the frame or take it all the way to the BB.

A middle motor might be possible, but it depends what type of BB you have and how thick the carbon is around it.

My advice would be to keep that bike as it is and buy a used one with an aluminium frame to convert t electric. £200 should get you one that's pretty good. There's not really any advantage of a carbon frame when you have electric assistance.

Jmckeever

Oct 22, 2017
Derry
I did think the carbon might cause a few problems but I don't have to go with this bike just looked a reasonable bike would like the battery on the downturn so will have another look in second hand market for a suitable bike thanks for all the advice