Advice on new purchase

CRT8

Just Joined
Jun 19, 2012
I've been thinking of buying an electric bike. I don't have a big budget so it would have to be a basic one. I am been looking at the Powacycle Salisbury and the Giant Twist Express. I've read a lot about the Powacycle but reports seem to be a bit contradictory about its hill-climbing ability. Some say it's fine, others that they have to get off and walk up a steep hill. I live in Edinburgh which his fairly hilly though my route to work isn't too bad.

I just wondered what people think about the two different bikes? I haven't tried either as there are no Powacycle stockists nearby.

I think the Giant is probably a better looking bike but is it really worth the extra £350?

The reviews in A to B don't seem to rave about it! But if people think it is an infinitely better bike then perhaps it would be worth paying the extra?

Decisions, decisions!

Any general advice/comments would be much appreciated.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Powacycle Salisbury is one of the lowest powered e-bikes on the market, some e-bikes having up to double it's peak wattage power. The Giant has over 40% more peak power but the hill climbing won't have quite as large a difference as those figures suggest, it will partly be seen in slower climbing with the Salisbury.

On the build quality side, the Giant is undoubtedly a far better bike, the Powacycle Salisbury being very much a budget machine with a definitely poorer reliability record. Support from Giant and their dealers has also been better and far more consistent than with Powacycle whose record in this area has been very patchy, although it seems reasonable currently.

As for the companies for what it's worth, Powacycle is a company within the Akhter Computer group but entirely serious about e-bikes, Giant is the world's largest bicycle manufacturer who have been making e-bikes over twice as long.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
I bought a second-hand Powacycle Salisbury about a month ago, it had hardly been used from new, I have to say I think it is brilliant !! but then it is the first E-bike that I have owned, from reading on here,it is obvious that there are more powerful bikes out there, but this one suits me fine, can't comment on the other one, but would suggest trying before buying.......Del.

albanydene

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 19, 2012
We have just bought two Kudos bikes an Eco and a Tourer, after trying nearly every model they had at their warehouse. Only had them this afternoon but are really pleased with them. The guys at Kudos were really helpful and were not pushy at all. I had tried other bikes but these I liked best. My brother and a friend both have the Kudos Sport and the silver one is on offer at the moment at £595, direct from them. Good luck with your final choice.

CRT8

Just Joined
Jun 19, 2012
Hi folks, thanks for your comments. I'm veering toward the Giant I think. I'd still like to try a Salisbury but there are not stockists anywhere near me so that's that idea out the window. The price is very appealing though and I'm not very sure how powerful I actually need but the comments about reliability etc are swaying me a little towards the more expensive bike. Sigh ...

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
You may like to visit Edinburgh Bicycle Coop who stock bikes you may like, including Giant.

Smartebike

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2012
Choosing the Right Electric Bike under for £1000

Hi

We are a manufacturer of electric bikes called 3e Electric Welcome to 3E Electric | Premium Electric Bike

We have been going 4 years and offer a 3 year warranty with all bikes.
There are 3e dealers all around the UK

Many customers buy a 3e bike after they have tried many others, so it's great advice to try out as many electric bikes as you can, then weigh up which you think is best for you.

If you are looking for a bike that's powerful, reliable and great value you won't be disappointed with any of the 3e models.

We also have the last few 2011 bikes in stock at the warehouse which are exceptional for the money.

Feel free to contact us any time.

Regards

Andre

I've been thinking of buying an electric bike. I don't have a big budget so it would have to be a basic one. I am been looking at the Powacycle Salisbury and the Giant Twist Express. I've read a lot about the Powacycle but reports seem to be a bit contradictory about its hill-climbing ability. Some say it's fine, others that they have to get off and walk up a steep hill. I live in Edinburgh which his fairly hilly though my route to work isn't too bad.

I just wondered what people think about the two different bikes? I haven't tried either as there are no Powacycle stockists nearby.

I think the Giant is probably a better looking bike but is it really worth the extra £350?

The reviews in A to B don't seem to rave about it! But if people think it is an infinitely better bike then perhaps it would be worth paying the extra?

Decisions, decisions!

Any general advice/comments would be much appreciated.