advice please folks..

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
Hi all,

she who must be obeyed has decreed that our folding bikes will be motorised :) now this causes me a bit of a problem, as while i'm quite keen to give putting a motor kit on myself, I'm also keen not to dent my offroad bike budget too much.

bike number one is a 26" wheel dahon jack

bike number two is a 26" wheel dahon matrix

use is just for tootling around, we've both got ebikes so it'll just be for times when we want to take the bikes somewhere in the car rather than the jeep, so id say a range of about 20-30 miles would be fine, would probably include light hills but nothing crazy.

also would definitely want pedelec and throttle.

any advice gratefully recieved, but remember the watchword is cheap :) happy to order direct from china, or whatever route you guys reckon works best.

(sorry had some good links for ordering kits bookmarked from other threads, but can't find them now)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I would recommend you fit the kit from cyclotricty with the frog battery behind the seat mounted on the seat post

front motor comes with thumb throttle option pedal sensor you can also upgrade to LCD display

Electric Bike Kit - from £399 with brushless 250W motor. Buy online at Cyclotricity

Talk to them there maybe a deal for 2 kits

I would not bother importing from China as there is now a problem shipping by air batteries the costs are very high also what you get from china is your no support if it goes wrong BIN no help Fitting

buy from UK you get Support and I year warranty

Hope this Helps

Frank

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
thanks for the advice, but by the time i add the options, i'm denting my off road bike budget to the tune of 1200 quid for a couple of bikes - anyone got cheaper suggestions - i'm aware i'll get what i pay for, but in this case as they'll get little use - i'll be sorry later...

D

Deleted member 4366

Buying from China is not much cheaper, but it gives a much better choice of stuff.. Batteries are now about £200 and the kits about £200 too. Buying two kits would save a bit on shipping, so you should be able to do both for about £700.

If you want a rear motor, it's best to get a cassette type, but you don't see them in kits. Here's one. Add the LED display option:
Cassette freewheel motor kit with high speed, strong torque and light weight for mountain bikes-Greenbikekit.com online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
add brake sensors:
Hidden wire brake sensor/wireless brake sensor for electric bicycle online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com
Batery. Tell them you want the 11.6aH one:
36V9AH lithium ion panasonic rack battery for e-bike-GreenBikeKit online store for electric bicycle components-GreenBikeKit.com

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
8fun kit is cheaper than the Cyclotricity...... Depends if you want the frog battery on the Cyclotricity kit.
If you want the bottle or rear rack battery and the pedal sensor, then 8fun kit is £65 cheaper.

No idea if there's much difference between the two, I just bought the 8fun kit because it seemed a better deal.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi I would call both companies and ask technical question and see how good there support is

that is what you are buying

Frank