Advice please

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think rather than paying 40-80 quid for a tool and then using it to bend it back in to shape the cheapest option is just to buy a new mech hanger.

as they are meant to brake rather then snap the mech in half but id be surprised if it also had no damage but i guess we will find out when indexing the gears as mine was bent and twisted to the point the thread was unusable so a tool would have been useless anyway.

up side is hardly any chain noise now crisp up and down shifts with the b screw set right with the sag.

down side is it cost £300 as i changed the hole group set to eagle 12spd gx

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
i think rather than paying 40-80 quid for a tool and then using it to bend it back in to shape the cheapest option is just to buy a new mech hanger.
My opinion is the opposite.

I use the tool at least once a month. With the terrain that I ride, having branches/twigs flick up and jam and bend things is an inevitable thing, and being able to quickly and accurately straighten and true the hanger is essential to me. My only regret is not having bought the tool years ago.

I also never ride without carrying spare hanger, but don't recall ever having snapped one. Though the lad that I often ride with broke two in the space of two rides. I did feel for him, given that it was over £50.00 in thrown away money. The second time that it broke, it also cost him a new chain.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not sure even bending mine back to shape would be a good idea as it is part of the frame and the rear axle also goes through it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Bike all back together and all looks good so far, had a ride around the garden with no problems so looks like the hanger is ok, will put it to the test today on a ride in the wood.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Update
Went out on the bike did about 3 miles and the chain snapped
It did snap when the derailleur broke and I just put another link in but it looks like I need a new chain.
It's a KMC on there and on the link it says 3x sp?
Can anyone tell me what chain I need to buy

Thanks
Steve

D

Deleted member 22539

Update
Went out on the bike did about 3 miles and the chain snapped
It did snap when the derailleur broke and I just put another link in but it looks like I need a new chain.
It's a KMC on there and on the link it says 3x sp?
Can anyone tell me what chain I need to buy

Thanks
Steve
Any 10spd chain will work
And buy 2 I always carry a spare :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any chain will do ebike branded ones are double the price

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just checked the chain I bought and so far it has cost me 0.00€ per km rounding up to two numbers after the zero... :rolleyes:

Or if you must less than 0.50€ per 100 km. :)

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
My saga is ongoing
I take a look at the rear cassette and front chainring and decided to buy a new chain, cassette and large chainring, so I have a look about on the web and I buy it all from wiggle, so on Tuesday I put my order in and pay the extra £4.99 for next day delivery and here we are on Saturday morning and no parts, what a joke,

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
One week later and still no parts from wiggle, they say it's still out for delivery with Hermes, this is just a joke
Now have the parts on order from my local bike shop and a third more money than online.
This is my first and last time I will use wiggle.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if i have to buy online from a bike shop then i always use chain reaction fast postage and easy returns and real stock levels.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Wiggle I have no problems with, sadly it's Hermes who are the issue which is sad as it reflects badly on W.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
I agree with you about wiggle, but why use Hermes they are just a joke and another thing I don't like about wiggle and chain reaction is they don't have a phone number to call if you have a problem.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should try get some black dust caps for my carbon cranks half a fkn year and were at.

Miranda have responded to say they are currently out of stock.. I have asked them what the production lead time is... Will let you know once they have calculated it..

and that was 2 months ago from the uk distributor :mad:

Related Articles

Advertisers