Advice re new bike with hub gears.

CameraDealer

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2007
Bolton
My wife and I have respectively a Woosh Santana DL and a Woosh Big Bear. We've had them for three years and are very happy with them. We only use them over three trips of six weeks each in our motorhome. The batteries are topped up regularly, even when not being used and seem to be almost as new.

However, I wouldn't mind something a bit lighter and with say, a seven speed hub gear. In my view derailleurs are the spawn of Satan and need constant adjustment!

What do you experts think? Price isn't too important but, as we only use them three times a year (albeit for a six week holiday), I don't think it's sensible to spend say £2.5 to £3K each.

Is a hub gear feasible? Are they as effective as a derailleur and are they more maintenance free?

Finally, what's the best way to sell the two Woosh bikes and what sort of value do you think they'll have?

Thanks.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Finally, what's the best way to sell the two Woosh bikes and what sort of value do you think they'll have?
we can help you sell them on our second hand web page.
They should get around £450 each.
Take some pictures and email them to support@wooshbikes.co.uk
There is no charge for this service.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Probably a bit out of your budget, but I recently bought a Trek Super Commuter ebike.

I bought the versions n that has the Nuvinci hub.

Have mainly had conventional gear systems in the past, not had that much trouble to be honest, but prefer the hub system as it is quiet, cleaner with less maintenance all round.

I have ridden the new bike about 200 miles now. Nuvinci hub has been exactly what I wanted. Clean, quiet and absolutely no maintenance at all.
Rear wheel does weigh quite a bit more though, and you can feel the weight of the hub when the motor assist cuts out.

For the type of bike the Trek is, then it suits it fine.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I have been riding igh Bikes since the 1970's and I really don't get why in this modern age that ebikes come with derailleur gears, they are just so last century.

My current none ebike sports a Roholff SpeedHub fitted back in 2004, it's 14 evenly spaced gears give the same gear range as a 27 gear derailleur set up with it's 3 chainring and 9 cog cassette.

All igh models can be retrofitted to a crank drive ebike, all though there are a good number of ebikes that are comming through with igh's such as the Shimano Alfine, Rohloff and let's not forget the Nuvinci CVT unit.

If my first ebike comes with a derailleur, that will be the first thing that comes of, to be replaced with an igh.

Reactions: Denis99

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have been riding igh Bikes since the 1970's and I really don't get why in this modern age that ebikes come with derailleur gears, they are just so last century.
could it be because nobody has come up with a hubgear as light and as energy efficient as a derailleur?

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
My wife and I have respectively a Woosh Santana DL and a Woosh Big Bear. We've had them for three years and are very happy with them. We only use them over three trips of six weeks each in our motorhome. The batteries are topped up regularly, even when not being used and seem to be almost as new.

However, I wouldn't mind something a bit lighter and with say, a seven speed hub gear. In my view derailleurs are the spawn of Satan and need constant adjustment!

What do you experts think? Price isn't too important but, as we only use them three times a year (albeit for a six week holiday), I don't think it's sensible to spend say £2.5 to £3K each.

Is a hub gear feasible? Are they as effective as a derailleur and are they more maintenance free?

Thanks.
Most of ebikes with factory middrives ie bosch shimano that have igh are >£2k. Modern derailleurs shouldn't need adjusting on regular basis, especially mid-high end ones eg shimano deore, SLX, XT. For cost of upgrading perfectly good bikes you could fit high quality derailleurs, Di2 even, over kill but once set that is about it for life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Modern derailleurs should need adjusting on regular basis, especially mid-high end ones eg shimano deore, SLX, XT. For cost of upgrading perfectly good bikes you could fit high quality derailleurs, Di2 even, over kill but once set that is about it for life.
That's not true at all. In seven years of e-biking, and about 15,000 miles, I've never yet needed to adjust a derailleur in service - i.e. only adjusted one when I've installed the drerailleur/motor. I've also done about 200 miles in the last three years on road bikes and never needed to adjust one of those either at any time.

OP asked whether hub gears need less maintenance than derailleurs. I would ask him how much maintenance has he done to the gears on his present bikes?

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Bit over budget but Gocycle seems ideal for a motorhome. Light. IHG.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
That's not true at all. In seven years of e-biking, and about 15,000 miles, I've never yet needed to adjust a derailleur in service - i.e. only adjusted one when I've installed the drerailleur/motor. I've also done about 200 miles in the last three years on road bikes and never needed to adjust one of those either at any time.

OP asked whether hub gears need less maintenance than derailleurs. I would ask him how much maintenance has he done to the gears on his present bikes?
Typo edited it, I meant to say "Shouldn't need adjusting"

CameraDealer

Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2007
Bolton
we can help you sell them on our second hand web page.
They should get around £450 each.
Take some pictures and email them to support@wooshbikes.co.uk
There is no charge for this service.
Thanks Hattie (if it's you!)

You may remember me rolling up with my motorhome when I needed a problem sorting on one of our bikes. If I do sell them I'll consider using your service.

Maybe I've been unlucky but I've had occasions where the gears don't change properly and if I try to adjust them I just end up making it worse and have to take it to a dealer to get it done properly.

We like our bikes, they're comfortable and for the price have been great value for us occasional users but I may just consider keeping them and accepting that I need to get them properly serviced and checked once a year.

Do you have any plans for a hub-gear model in the future?

Last edited:

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
It's a known fact that derrailure, gears wear out in no time on ebikes, in fact I even spoke to a chap who owns an ebike with the Brose mid drive motor, and he said he was going through cassettes at an alarming rate.

No doubt the 90nm of the Brose was not helping matters.

Let's face it, the derrailure system was never designed to be run on a bicycle with motor, and to be fair most IGH's weren't either.

In fact the only two IGH's that I would argue are ideally suited to the ebike are the Rohloff and Nuvinci.

And is probably the reason why other IGH's seem to only be found on Ebikes with the lower torque motors.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you have any plans for a hub-gear model in the future?
we tend to put integrated hubgear on folding bikes because the derailleurs on the folding bikes tend to get a knock now and then.
On full sized bikes, we have the Sundowner for about 4 years (http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?sundowner) but sales were not sufficient to justify warehousing space, so we did not reorder it in the last 2 years.
We may bring it up to date soon but it's not certain.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It's a known fact that derrailure, gears wear out in no time on ebikes, in fact I even spoke to a chap who owns an ebike with the Brose mid drive motor, and he said he was going through cassettes at an alarming rate.

No doubt the 90nm of the Brose was not helping matters.

Let's face it, the derrailure system was never designed to be run on a bicycle with motor, and to be fair most IGH's weren't either.

In fact the only two IGH's that I would argue are ideally suited to the ebike are the Rohloff and Nuvinci.

And is probably the reason why other IGH's seem to only be found on Ebikes with the lower torque motors.
The Woosh bikes in question are hub drive, derailleurs only need to handle human power and not lot of that given electric assist.

The 7 spd derailleurs on these bikes, while reliable are definitely at bargain end of range. When it comes to quality shifting you get what you pay for.

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep Trevormonty, I guess with a rear electric Hub drive, then it's either derrailure or nothing.

It's just my personal opinion, that I would never even consider a electric hub drive motor, front or rear, I just think that they are naff.

Although who am I to comment, having never owned an ebike.

To my mind the way forward, pun intended is a crank drive motor, anything else is a compromise IMHO.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would never even consider a electric hub drive motor, front or rear,

To my mind the way forward, pun intended is a crank drive motor, anything else is a compromise IMHO.
Consider this:

Electric cars like the Nissan Leaf use electric motors directly driving the wheels for their entire 80+ mph speed range, with no gearbox. They are the car world's equivalent of e-bike hub motors.

Why on earth would one need an e-bike motor to drive through lots of gears to cover a 11 to 15 mph speed range (4mph to 15 or 20 mph)?

Reactions: davidhlm1

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Well it's a worry that I have explain this one flecc, but here goes.

To my mind the idea of an Ebike or Pedelec Is to have a bicycle that is as close to riding a regular bike, but with some assistance but still have the feel of using gears but via a CVT or IGH, and I just think that the derrailure system is not ideal when using a crank drive, as the range of a 9 speed cassette does not cut the mustard.

As for rear Hub electric motors, I think that they are best suited to mopeds or motor bikes were no additional gearing is required as in EV's thus no chain or drive shaft to give a sleek design.

Even Bosch themselves state that the latest line of Ebike mid drive motors, have been designed to give a more bicycle like experience, and I can see exactly were they are comming from.

Don't get me wrong, Bosch also produce some decent electric Hub drive motors, it's all horses for courses at the end of the day.

smifee

Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2017
Chandler's Ford
Well it's a worry that I have explain this one flecc, but here goes.

To my mind the idea of an Ebike or Pedelec Is to have a bicycle that is as close to riding a regular bike, but with some assistance but still have the feel of using gears but via a CVT or IGH, and I just think that the derrailure system is not ideal when using a crank drive, as the range of a 9 speed cassette does not cut the mustard.

As for rear Hub electric motors, I think that they are best suited to mopeds or motor bikes were no additional gearing is required as in EV's thus no chain or drive shaft to give a sleek design.

Even Bosch themselves state that the latest line of Ebike mid drive motors, have been designed to give a more bicycle like experience, and I can see exactly were they are comming from.

Don't get me wrong, Bosch also produce some decent electric Hub drive motors, it's all horses for courses at the end of the day.
Your mind is yours & yours alone.

To my mind an ebike is to go from A to B using as many gears and as much of the available power as I feel like using. I couldn't care less if it's like riding a regular bike. It just has to be reliable. Thankfully mine is. I shouldn't have typed that. The gremlins are no doubt waiting to pounce.