Agattu rim - a problem or not???

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
I'd be grateful for opinions from people on this forum regarding my Agattu rim.

The enclosed picture of my rear wheel shows the join in the rim. Daylight is visible through the join and there is a small step in the braking surface which produces an very slight tick once per revolution when braking.

Is this going to be a problem?

Attachments

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
I'd be grateful for opinions from people on this forum regarding my Agattu rim.

The enclosed picture of my rear wheel shows the join in the rim. Daylight is visible through the join and there is a small step in the braking surface which produces an very slight tick once per revolution when braking.

Is this going to be a problem?
YES! And how!!!

It's about to suffer a catastrophic failure. It's starting to 'unglue'. The ends of the rim extrusion have been inadequately joined together. It's not a stress facture from an impact; it's a manufacturing fault.

Email the photo to the sellers and request their help, (they'll probably organise a replacement), assuming you haven't been practising mid air back-flips with the bike :)

Do not ride the bike in it's current state.

C

Cyclezee

That looks like a manufacturing fault, there shoudn't be a gap or a step in the rim. The wheel will be weaker as a result and liable to breakage.
I would contact 50cycles and tell them about the fault. It should be replaced under warranty, no question about it.

J:) hn

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
Thanks for the replies. It unfortunately confirms what I feared. I have not been doing back flips, although I wish I could say I had. (I still have a bad back after an accident trying to learn to do wheelies 25 years ago).

I have been using the bike as much as possible this summer and have clocked up a few hundred miles on (rough-ish) Forestry Commission tracks but this should not have caused the failure.

When I went down to Loughborough this summer for a test ride, I was intending to buy a Pro Connect but the appearance of the wheels persuaded me to buy the Agattu as the wheels looked much stronger.

I have emailed 50cycles and if they provide the usual excellent customer service, I will no doubt hear from them soon.

carigada

Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2008
UK
An update for anyone interested:

I have had an email correspondance with Mark at 50cycles. From what he has told me the wheel is within manufacturing tolerances and I am happy that it won't be a problem, as the rim is pinned internally. Mark offered to replace the rim but as I trust his opinion, I have agreed to continue riding on it and monitor it carefully. He is happy to replace the wheel in the future if the problem persists or gets worse.

Advertisers