Agattu supplier in Scotland?

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Having tried out the Wisper Alpino (nice bike, very pretty!) I'm now trying to find out if there's a supplier in Scotland who would be able to provide a test ride on a step-through Kalkhoff Agattu. If any one can help it would be appreciated, thanks:)

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Having tried out the Wisper Alpino (nice bike, very pretty!) I'm now trying to find out if there's a supplier in Scotland who would be able to provide a test ride on a step-through Kalkhoff Agattu. If any one can help it would be appreciated, thanks:)
when i looked into this last year...50 cycles have a number of customers who have kalkhoff bikes in scotland who are willing to let you try their bike out.
go to their website and put in your post code to find the nearest person who has a similar bike to what you want to try......and they fix it up.....

it rather put me off that they did not have a main dealer in scotland, had no plans to appoint one and had no interest in doing part ex against my fairly new 705.
the wisper dealer was able to do a deal against the alpino, and sorted a few teething problems so that was the decision made.....location and service...
prices were similar for what i was looking for.

good hunting.....

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
The Dover is not an Agattu clone, they are both made in the Derby Cycles factory in Germany. The Raleigh is considered to be the 'luxury' end and as such costs a bit more, i suppose a bit like Lexus and Toyota.
We own both, i have the Agattu, my wife the Dover. The only reason i don't have a Dover is they only supply one size, the Agattu at the time came in various sizes in the diamond frame. Sadly not any more:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Dover is not an Agattu clone, they are both made in the Derby Cycles factory in Germany. The Raleigh is considered to be the 'luxury' end and as such costs a bit more, i suppose a bit like Lexus and Toyota.
They are effectively clones, though only the step through Agattu is stocked in the UK. The only real difference is that the Raleigh badged model is marketed through a dealer network which obviously adds to the cost, hence the higher price. Otherwise they are the same bike, though some items like rims and tyres for example can vary according to availability at time of manufacture.

This web link shows their near identicality.

Last edited:

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks everyone. I see the Electric Transport Shop in Edinburgh sells the Raleigh Dover so I may take a trip over there, although I was very interested to hear that there may soon be a Kalkhoff dealer in Scotland.

On the Electric Transport Shop website I also had a look at the Heinzmann Estelle .It sounds like the Rolls Royce of e-bikes which is presumably why its so expensive -over £2600 but does anyone know whether its worth the extra ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
On the Electric Transport Shop website I also had a look at the Heinzmann Estelle .It sounds like the Rolls Royce of e-bikes which is presumably why its so expensive -over £2600 but does anyone know whether its worth the extra ?
The build quality of both the bike and the motor system is very high, but the brush motor is rather old technology now, a bit noisier than is usual now for hub motors and very much noisier than the very quiet Panasonic system in the Kalkhoff/Raleigh.

The price is getting more common now though, there are a number e-bikes at £2600 to £4000 now including a couple of Kalkhoffs, and a few exotics from £5000 to £8000.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
ah,thanks Flecc,that's removed the Heinzmann from the list, motor noise is one of my pet hates .The 705 isn't too bad most of the time although at low speed it does do a good imitation of a milk cart , my aim is to end up with something quieter if possible and definitely no noisier:) . The Alpino certianly seemed quiter but it sounds as though for noise anyway the panasonic motor is what I'm looking for:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The near to silent options are the bikes with the Panasonic system and some Direct Drive motors, like bikes with the BionX direct drive motor.

Internally geared hub motors like the Suzhou Bafang on the 705 are all around the same, not much noise at full speed but doing the milk float simulation at lower speeds under load such as when hill climbing or pulling away.

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Hi Biged

I think you will find the Kalkhoff to be the higher end luxury range.

Kalkhoff is the flagship brand for Derby Cycles with a lot wider pedelec range than the Raleigh. Ranging from the 3 Speed version at £1395 to the Sport XTR for £3395.

Kalkhoff was the first brand Derby Cycles used to refine and develop the Pedelecs. With all the latest technology appearing on these models first before Focus, Raleigh, Diamond Back, Univega, Rixe etc.

The Agattu/Dover is the mid-range model. We welcome anybody to use the Raleigh dealers to test the concept and buy a Kalkhoff for £200.00 less for slightly higher spec.

We will be appointing a Partner in Scotland very soon which will be announced through our newsletter when the details are finalised.

Best regards

Scott
Any sign of a Scottish Kalkhoff dealer yet Scott?

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Hi Tyler

Yes we have lots of customers in Scotland.

If you fill out an inquiry form on our website and I will give you a call to run through the various options including delivering the bike to a preferred bike shop in your local area.

If you are not happy with the bike you can return it, but I do not think that will happen as they are outstanding this season.

Please email scott@50cycles.com or call us on 03339005050 if you need any more help.

Best regards

Scott
hi scott, where are the dealer(s) located in scotland who have test ride facilities ???
have only ever been directed to individuals (not bike shops/dealers) who have a bike that they are prepared to let you have a ride on...never actually the exact size/model requested....
regards