Alien, Phylion battery connectors - Source?

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I'm in need of a pair of power connectors for the battery on an Alien Aurora. The battery comes from Phylion. Both connectors are chassis mount versions somewhat like kettle leads but 2 pin and subtly different. I think this battery, rack are used on several Alien models and kits or were. I seem to recall NRG doing a search for an alternate source but not coming up with anything. The battery side is a flush mount female socket. Like an IEC-320 C13. The controller side is like a panel mount version of an IEC-320 C14.

Does anyone know what connectors these are and found a source?

As an alternative, what connectors could be used to replace these, given that all the mounting screws and the mounting screws for the project box are normally hidden with the battery in place. I can't find a panel mount C14

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Hi Jb, good to hear from you again. I didn't find anything first time around but will have another look. Two pin would be C17/C18, but I think the Alien connectors where square? so more like a cross between C17/18 and C19/20.....

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Logically, the battery outlet should be an Outlet style female socket with shrouded connectors. Flush with the battery end. It's then pretty damn hard to put the battery down on something or get something conductive between the live pins. That then means a panel mount male inlet that stands proud of the panel. The closest thing to that seems to be a right-angled cable end PX0685 where the actual connector part is separate from the main body and can be placed in 4 positions. So trying to achieve the same basic, male-female, shrouded/flush as the Alien battery in the pics above, but using IEC layout.

I've never looked at the battery connectors on bikes with a vertical battery like the Whispers. Presumably both sides of the connectors are fixed. What do they use?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Agreed, but there seems to be precious little out there from the normal parts suppliers...

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Good photo's, could you do some close ups of the battery labelling, or quote the information on them.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Phylion Hi-energy Battery
XH370-10J
DC 37.0v
S/N AJJCJC100006
Nominally 36v 10AHr, LiOn. Probably Li/MnO2 arranged as 10s with rectangular cells which are probably each 2p 5AHr each. Built in BMS. I've had this particular battery apart. The cells are actually arranged 3x3 with the 4th row being one cell, a space and the BMS. That last cell wasn't very well supported and flapped around enough to break it's tab connection to the other 9. I mended that a year ago, added some packing and inverted the pack so that the one end cell was on the bottom when the battery is fitted. It's been fine since. I don't think that repair job disturbed the power connectors in any way.

If you peer closely at the photos you can see that one of the terminals on the battery has some heat damage. I hardly ever remove the battery so I think the contacts just corroded a bit increased the local resistance and generated a bit of heat. The melty plastic re-hardening has then probably made it worse until there's a really marginal connection. I think I've now cleaned it all up so that it'll probably work ok. We'll see. I've also contacted Alien to see if they've got any spare connectors lying around in the workshop.

If you remove the cover, the cells and BMS are separated from the cover by bullet connectors, so it's easy to work on the switch, connectors and fuse well away from any stored power in the battery. Oh, and the battery was a warranty replacement with an already broken warranty seal!

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
36v 15ah battery

when my battery is done on my alien aurora, I'm thinking of ordering a 36v 15 ah battery from BMS in china.Will they supply a connector for their battery that fits into control box of alien aurora?

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I just did a quick Google search using your model number and it threw up serveral other bikes that have this fitted.
One was the Ezee Sprint GTS - perphaps Cyclezee may be able to help find a replacement connector.
Also, the serial number indicates the battery to have been manufactured on the 03/03/2010 - see this old thread by flecc for details:

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/technical/2383-long-term-test-outcome-ezee-battery-2.html

Phylion have a Dutch agent and I would contact them and supply all the details you posted today explaining your problem with the faulty connector and ask them if they could supply a replacement or the name of the manufacturer.

EU Office
Add: Karmelitessenlaan 26, 6816 PK Arnhem, Netherlands
Tel/Fax: +31-26-848-08-92
E-mail: eu@phylion.com

Regards,

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
when my battery is done on my alien aurora, I'm thinking of ordering a 36v 15 ah battery from BMS in china.Will they supply a connector for their battery that fits into control box of alien aurora?
I've wondered something similar. BMS sell batteries in ally cases that look very similar and might well fit the Alien rack. Perhaps just with a change of slide. But I haven't seen any detail about what connectors they have. Like this one for instance.
36V15Ah Li-Ion Alloy Shell EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY

gerryscott

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2010
thanks jbond , i've been looking at that one as well.I'll likely take my chances and order one when the time comes.

D

Deleted member 4366

The battery from BMSBattery is different. It has it's own plate, which fixes to any rack. The battery case has two slots so that the battery slides on to the plate and there's a hole in the front into which the lock bolt goes. You could use the battery, but I think, you'd need a new rack and you'd have to re-mount the controller somewhere else, or you could buy a new 9 or 12FET controller at the same time as the battery because they're very cheap without additional postage, and then you can realise the true potential of the motor. You'd need a 20aH battery with the 12 FET controller.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Happy update. Cleaning up the contacts and gently cutting away some melty plastic has resurrected the bike. The connector on the controller side was fine. It was one half of the female on the battery side that was causing the problem. And it looks like Jim at Alien can get me a pair of new connectors as a more permanent repair.

Meanwhile we still don't know what those connectors are.

Longer term there's going to come a time when I'll want a battery-replacement upgrade. And I think that's the time to look at a higher current controller and bigger capacity. I like the idea of building one of the bms battery shrink wrap packs into the triangle. eg 36V 15Ah Li-Ion Shrink Tube EBike Battery Pack - BMSBATTERY