Ancheer 2018 eMTB first impressions

The Grouch

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 7, 2018
Durham United Kingdom
Bike arrived early evening today boxed and strapped to a pallet. On first sight i noticed damage to the box a 4inch hole which concerned me slightly.

The Bike was well packaged held in place by polystyrene blocks and it took me ages to remove all the plastic foam type wrapping. I was relieved to find the bike in pristine condition.

Assembly was very straight forward and easy which is just as well since the instructions are so basic they are pointless. i am also useless at d.i.y and assembly of flat pack stuff etc just ask my wife. So if i can do it a monkey could do it while smoking a cigar and jumping on a trampoline.

The bike came with tyres half inflated and the battery fully charged and that was a very considerate touch by ancheer. The bike has 3 levels of power assist low medium and high.

I can not find the throttle and as a result i believe it does not have one even though the vague instructions suggest otherwise. That said after i took the bike around the block a few times and let my father, mother and wife take it for a spin i set out on a 6 mile ride. 6 MILE!!!

In all honesty i dont think it needs a throttle i used the lowest setting for the majority of the ride only switching breifly to medium or high for hills. Considering my weight lack of fitness and the fact i have not properly rode a bike since i was 17 (now 39) i returned home without a sweat neither was i out of breath...infact i was amazed i completed the journey at all.

The bike is well made and the parts seem solid enough. I know very little about bikes or modern bike technology but i can safely say that this bike is better built and more refined than any of my bikes i had decades ago.

It may not use the best parts available but its functional and seems robust enough for the average joe no cycling enthusiast this bike is more than enough and may well rekindle a love of cycling long forgotten.

My first remark not 100yrds when riding the bike i immediatly said to myself... wow all bikes should ride like this.

Very impressed with the bike

4/5 stars

Star points

Cheap
Functional
Great to ride
Looks good

Negatives

No throttle
Seat is painful

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamie82 and Steve H