Votes: 58 15.9%
  • 55-60

Votes: 51 14.0%
  • over 60

Votes: 86 23.6%

• Total voters

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
A large number of long term members are "lurkers" who no longer actively post but like to read what's going on. Some still keep in touch with me and I heard from another one only today.

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
A large number of long term members are "lurkers" who no longer actively post but like to read what's going on.
I registered in August 2009 but had been "lurking" for a number of years. :)

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
youngest member - 27

Gosh, looks like i'm the youngest member here cos i'm only 27. The youngest and already running on the electric bike - should be a shamed of it but i'm not. I just love electric bikes:eek:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I think the 50 cycles chaps are in their early 30s, a few years younger than myself. Dick Lai of Wisper is also in his 20s..

its actually quite encouraging that the people who have entrusted their livelihoods to selling e-bikes are younger than many of those riding them :D

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
There's no shame in e-cycling at a young age (i.e. below 40 y/o :D)
I started e-cycling at the age of 30 but I wish I had discovered it before: I was already cycling with my non-assisted bike, but not everywhere due to the numerous demanding hills (I'm fit and active, but my legs are not that strong).

Minor (relatively-speaking) but draining health problems were a determining factor in making me take the plunge, as I needed some assistance to conquer the steep ascents and to regain some freedom of movement/mind in the process. I think I will continue to e-cycle even after I fully recover my strength, because of the added ability to carry heavy weights (shopping and utility trips, etc.). I also enjoy the reduced sweating, and the increased mileage. This form of Hybrid-Human-Powered-Vehicle really offers a viable alternative for many uses of a car. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Gosh, looks like i'm the youngest member here cos i'm only 27. The youngest and already running on the electric bike - should be a shamed of it but i'm not. I just love electric bikes:eek:
E-bikes make great sense regardless of age, your choice just shows wisdom beyond your years. One day many young people may wake up to the benefits and common sense of e-assistance.

After all, I don't see them taking the stairs when escalators are available! That's e-walking! :)

Andy_82

Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2008
E-bikes make great sense regardless of age, your choice just shows wisdom beyond your years. One day many young people may wake up to the benefits and common sense of e-assistance.

After all, I don't see them taking the stairs when escalators are available! That's e-walking! :)
well said flecc,

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
67 Votes
18 Posts
:confused:

Worked it out, not everyone who votes, posts, stupid! :eek:
The title of this thread says it all - Anonymous poll ...
Although I voted I maintain my democratic right not to reveal that fact, or to post in this thread, or to reveal my age to anybody on this forum.

Colin
Didn't I give my date of birth when I registered my Wisper? If not then maybe that should be requested in future.
aged 63 and a bit - or 12 and a lot - I'm not saying

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
Just added my vote (45-50).
But to be to the point I've had my electric bike for just over 2 1/2 years so I was actualy an ebiker at 44 :)

-----------------------------------------------
Bike #1
Cougar Mountain Electric Bike 36v 200w rear wheel Hub motor (Jul07), 10 Ah LiFePo4 battery (Apr08)
Maximum range (road/hills - Cornwall) 18 miles. Maximum range (on flat) 25 miles

Bike #2
20 year old 18 gear mountain bike 36v 500w Goldenmotor front hub motor (Jun 09), 9 AH DIY rack-pack or 15 AH SLA (depending on trip). Used off road

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Im 30 but have been riding an electric bike since the age of 21. I have just had a look at the last 800 or so warranty cards received at Powabyke and the age spread is as follows:

2 under 21
10 between 21-30
42 between 31-40
111 between 41-50
201 between 51-60
385 aged 60+

I think this would be a truer reflection on ages of owners as many electric bike owners (dare I say it) are over the age of 70 and do not have access to the internet. (cue everyone to shoot me down in flames for making such a statement!)

Kind Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Yes I would say those figures give a pretty accurate overview. One thing I have noticed though, is more and more of the younger groups showing an interest. Commuters and licence-loosers (couldn't think of a more PC term...) seem to be growing as a group quite rapidly.

PS. Frank, there's no way you're 30 :p

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Yes I would say those figures give a pretty accurate overview. One thing I have noticed though, is more and more of the younger groups showing an interest. Commuters and licence-loosers (couldn't think of a more PC term...) seem to be growing as a group quite rapidly.

PS. Frank, there's no way you're 30 :p
It's true that a younger market are now getting involved as electric bikes are becoming a more socially accepted form of transport, better looking due to advances in battery technology and accessible via the various cycle schemes.

Lloyd, we can discuss my age over a beer at Presteigne!

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
FrankC
Thank you for the numbers but I find it interesting that both you and this thread lump together all those over 60 although in your case they outweigh all other groups combined.
I would have thought that it would have been more useful to have sought more information to your best market.

I now use my electric bike as I previously used a class 3 invalid scooter and am still waiting for someone to latch on to the potential market that exists for a class 3 with pedals.
Perhaps more useful would be a 15 mph electric assisted trike that complied with class 3 with regard to equipment with a switch to restrict speed to 4 mph for use on the pavement.

Dave
? days older than flecc? :rolleyes:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
FrankC
Thank you for the numbers but I find it interesting that both you and this thread lump together all those over 60 although in your case they outweigh all other groups combined.
I would have thought that it would have been more useful to have sought more information to your best market.

I now use my electric bike as I previously used a class 3 invalid scooter and am still waiting for someone to latch on to the potential market that exists for a class 3 with pedals.
Perhaps more useful would be a 15 mph electric assisted trike that complied with class 3 with regard to equipment with a switch to restrict speed to 4 mph for use on the pavement.

Dave
Hi Dave, Powabyke do still do this 5 Speed Powatryke Cruiser : Powabyke : Electric Bikes & Electric Scooters We have experimented in the past with 4 mph/8mph and 15mph speed restrictions with the mobility market in mind but it was just not financially viable at the time. It may be something that we look at in the future though.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
FrankC
Although we've always had quite a few at over 70 in this forum, I've never known of anyone at 80 or more. They mainly seem to abandon the e-bike before then. Odd when there's always been a number of unpowered cyclist in their 80s.

Not a forum member and on three wheels, there was a recumbent trike rider with Heinzmann power riding well into his 90s, sadly passed on now though.

Dave
Since 60 I don't bother with months and from January call myself the age I'll reach in that year, this year 74. To be precise I won't reach that until the start of September 1st.

Different for youngsters of course, and it always amuses me when I hear a kid say something like "I'm eight and three-quarters". :)

Lloyd

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
It's true that a younger market are now getting involved as electric bikes are becoming a more socially accepted form of transport, better looking due to advances in battery technology and accessible via the various cycle schemes.

Lloyd, we can discuss my age over a beer at Presteigne!
I won't be there this year, but I am sure I will see you at another show. In fact I think I owe you a drink from 2008 Presteigne :D

Orraman

Pedelecer
May 4, 2008
FrankC
It is good to know that you are keeping it in mind, I know that it can be a winner for folks with heart problems, my health has improved greatly with being able to regulate my exercise with electric assistance taking up the excess.

flecc,
It is only a number and that only matters over something of consequence, reduced TV licence this year, free next year.

Dave

Django

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2007
You are only as old as the woman you feel. That makes me mid-thirties. :D

Advertisers