Votes: 51 14.0%
  • over 60

Votes: 86 23.6%

• Total voters

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Although we've always had quite a few at over 70 in this forum, I've never known of anyone at 80 or more. They mainly seem to abandon the e-bike before then. Odd when there's always been a number of unpowered cyclist in their 80s. .
I appreciate its a sensitive issue for the older generation, but I wonder if the unfortunate reason for this is they may be more recent riders (perhaps starting in middle age) and have had pre-existing health problems and since been admitted to residential care, whereas someone riding an unpowered bike to these advanced years would naturally be of above average health and fitness!

I think this will change for the better as more "younger" people (including those currently in their middle years) start riding e-bikes at an earlier age, as this is clearly making people take a more active lifestyle than just driving everywhere....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As predicted, the input has slowed right down now with 110 entries, 3.7% of the membership. It will probably grow considerably from that but never be anything like the whole membership.

The age profile is probably representative though, as the 78% in the second half of life (over 40) broadly reflects the experience of our much earlier poll a couple of years ago.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
IMO its only in the last 2 years or so that a number of factors have combined to make e-bikes attractive to younger people (3 years ago I was myself sceptical about them and thought "no, they are for the old folk!")

I would say they are..
  • appearance of "MTB-style" models from Ezee, Wisper, Powacycle and Powabyke,
  • rising costs of motoring especially fuel costs and maintenance
  • poor public transport,
  • increasing environmental awareness (particularly amongst those with young children)
  • some younger people choosing not to drive for various reasons (not just due to being banned!)
I expect this will certainly continue in my region which is large and plagued by high fuel prices but is relatively pleasant to cycle in...

matt-derby

Pedelecer
May 7, 2009
Derby UK
younger generation

I'd say the Cytronex range sums up the reason younger people have opted for ebikes, the discreet conversion and true hybrid style look.

The relatively large battery and/or crank system is maybe still too far away from the idea of a fast looking or rugged styled MTB desired by the younger consumer. This precludes many of the other brands.

I'm still surprised the Infineum hasn't done a lot better.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm still surprised the Infineum hasn't done a lot better.
A delayed launch, early troubles with this model and Powacycle service support failures on all models have together damaged it's desirability in customer and trade eyes.

The concept is ok so it should recover and succeed in time, so long as Powacycle get their support act together.

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i'm 29 and i think ebikes are cool. it annoys me when people regard them as some kind of invalid carraige. this survey has proved that the take up of ebikes is more uniform across the age range than is often assumed. i bet the UK population age distribution is quite close to that graph. i wonder what a similar survey for car owners would say? you shouldn't have to be disabled or old to use an ebike. lets not stigmatise them.

ebikes are a great car alternative for young people too. especially since car insurance now costs £5000/year for a 17yr old male driver! not something your average 17 year old can afford.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
ebikes are a great car alternative for young people too. especially since car insurance now costs £5000/year for a 17yr old male driver! not something your average 17 year old can afford.
I've found huge interest in my e-bikes from teenagers and pre-teens, particularly around 12 to 15 years, often cadging rides. Of course it doesn't help that Britain alone in Europe has the silly 14 years lower age limit for e-bikes, preventing early entry into riding them.

Other than that, the killer for e-bike take-up by the young here in Greater London is the free public transport.

monster

Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
i get that too but i would never trust the little oik's to bring the bike back to me after the ride. :D

jasono

Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2009
Leicestershire
IMO its only in the last 2 years or so that a number of factors have combined to make e-bikes attractive to younger people (3 years ago I was myself sceptical about them and thought "no, they are for the old folk!")

I would say they are..
  • appearance of "MTB-style" models from Ezee, Wisper, Powacycle and Powabyke,
  • rising costs of motoring especially fuel costs and maintenance
  • poor public transport,
  • increasing environmental awareness (particularly amongst those with young children)
  • some younger people choosing not to drive for various reasons (not just due to being banned!)
I expect this will certainly continue in my region which is large and plagued by high fuel prices but is relatively pleasant to cycle in...
I would certainly concur with you here Alex. I would not have considered an e-Bike a couple of years ago. It's abit chicken and egg, but the more people see them on the roads and understand how useful they are, the more popular they'll become

I have found people have been positive when they've spotted my Wisper and keen to find out more. Still get the old 'that's cheating' comment occassionally though :rolleyes:

Anyway, off to the shops - on the Wisper - another journey I would have previously taken in the car :D

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
I think looks are important - much as I like the Wisper, it is not sexy in its colour scheme. Herewith a picture (if I can get the technology to work) of our new bike aimed at a younger audience.

Attachments

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I think the biggest barrier to ebike ownership amongst the young (meaning teens) is cost. When I was a 17 year old (approx 25 years ago) I travelled everywhere, work, friends, shopping etc, by road bike, MTB's hadn't been invented in the UK then. The cost of ownership of a road bike in those days was equivalent to buying a £100-250 bike today, there was no way I could afford a £1000+ ebike especially if I knew the £500 battery might need replacing in a couple of years. The same went for all my friends of the same age. The money I did earn from work went on priorities such as fags and booze, cycling was a means to an end, I suspect the situation hasn't changed much unless you have rich parents !

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Your average 17 year old, these days, gets chauffeur driven. I know.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The trend continues as predicted, at this point 77% are in the second half of life (over 40), 48% over 50 and 18% over 60.

Less than 3% are under 30.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
Hi to all the new posters I've seen recently :) Don't forget to vote on this poll!

:D

CheKmx

Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2008
Zurich
40 here. What's all this second half business. With advances in medicine I intend to live well into the next century. :)

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Convention says the lower range as Mussels advises, but that's only for whole numbers. Illogical though, considering one is moving into the upper range and can never go back.

However, you are over 50 precisely so it should be the upper range since the lower means 45 to 50, not including 50.
Just got my vote in quick - I'm 50 on Friday! Happy birthday to meeee :p

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
May I be the first to wish you a very happy birthday, and to add that you don't look a day over 49. :D ;)

However, if I read the rules correctly it would appear that you don't actually have any more birthdays - once you are in an age bracket you stay there and can't move out of it, so you now stay 49 for eternity.
The Pedelec Forum has found the answer to eternal youth - apart for those of us "over 60" who just get more and more "over" as time goes by.:(

Colin

Advertisers