Another ebike battery explodes

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Steve Vondran said. “I was wanting to put out the fire but I didn’t have anything to use.”

What?????
There was no sand around to put it out with.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
This is serious stuff and shocking too.
I was just thinking that a fire could take place anywhere or at anytime. Regarding safety regulations do you think that we should have a warning hazardous sticker on the battery pack, so that when people are standing near your bike in a public place will let them know and to also prevent them from getting burnt if something went wrong ? Or will this open up a BIG can of worms?
I am only thinking this for the safety of the public and even for ourselves .

MS.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was just thinking that a fire could take place anywhere or at anytime. Regarding safety regulations do you think that we should have a warning hazardous sticker on the battery pack, so that when people are standing near your bike in a public place will let them know and to also prevent them from getting burnt if something went wrong ? Or will this open up a BIG can of worms?
I am only thinking this for the safety of the public and even for ourselves .

MS.
No, that would be hysteria. We are surrounded by such risks all the time, even a pavement can explode under us as we walk along it.

See this link

Just living is risky and we can't label everything.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
No, that would be hysteria. We are surrounded by such risks all the time, even a pavement can explode under us as we walk along it.

See this link

Just living is risky and we can't label everything.
Very good point fiecc, we cant label everything because danger is everywhere you could be even at home or on the streets.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
This happens so infrequently, with batteries, that it won't be considered on the larger scale. A local risk assessment would suffice. i.e; Don't let it overcharge unattended. Try to charge it in an appropriate area, away from heat sources or blocked vents and combustibles. I'm sure others can add more?

And let's face it.. it was on the beach at this location.
"An Arizona couple say they were stunned when one of their electric bikes caught fire."
:rolleyes:

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Clicked on the link and right at the top was an advert for Hobbyking!
Love it.....

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I believe there is a 250wh limit introduced on many airlines and battery has to be packed in its own security case..I was trying to carry a DVP and gave up on it...
Also on a recent pleasurable wait going through security in Barbados folk were getting Galaxy S3,s take off them...and told they would not be carried..( even in hold !!!!)
Its an area flightht operators are clamping down on...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
but you won`t find exploding pavements 30,000ft up in the sky aboard aircraft.
Lithium-ion batteries have been responsible for air crashes before today and with fatalities too.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/23/news/companies/lithium-ion-battery-ban-airplanes/
I can't understand the comparison with air travel. My answer to Mountainsport was about e-bikes, advocating no extra warning labelling for them. This was on the basis that pavement electrical explosions were far more common than e-bike batteries going up, but we don't put warning labels on pavements.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Scared myself silly, then realised that my phone battery is lithium, my two vapes are 18650 cells, my car remote door lock, my watch, my hearing aids.

We're DOOMED I tell ye.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
even the fire alarm has Lithium cells.

• :D
Reactions: Steed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Scared myself silly, then realised that my phone battery is lithium, my two vapes are 18650 cells, my car remote door lock, my watch, my hearing aids.

We're DOOMED I tell ye.
I did have one suddenly swell up inside a camera and had to prise it out with a screwdriver. Fortunately it didn't get to a burning stage.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I can't understand the comparison with air travel. My answer to Mountainsport was about e-bikes, advocating no extra warning labelling for them. This was on the basis that pavement electrical explosions were far more common than e-bike batteries going up, but we don't put warning labels on pavements.
Some folk travel with ebikes , karts and mobility scooters with dame technology..
They refused to carry my DVP because it had 400wh battery..was told to take two 250wh by them ( which is ok ??) Solution possible with bikes etc but container on DVP is designed around battery...

Advertisers