Another ebike battery explodes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Lets keep this in perspective...a single gallon of petrol contains roughly 39000 WH...you wont get that out of it because engines are so damned inefficient...but if it catches fire that's the amount of energy you are dealing with...the battery...a lowly 400...perhaps the chemicals release energy when burning otherwise unavailable...but which would you sooner deal with...a gallon of petrol on fire...or a battery??? Think I,d tackle the battery and leave petrol to burn..
I,d guess Petrol far more unstable and much more likely to self combust...but then again try telling air operators you are taking a gallon of four star in your packed luggage !!!

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lets keep this in perspective...a single gallon of petrol contains roughly 39000 WH...you wont get that out of it because engines are so damned inefficient...but if it catches fire that's the amount of energy you are dealing with...the battery...a lowly 400...perhaps the chemicals release energy when burning otherwise unavailable...but which would you sooner deal with...a gallon of petrol on fire...or a battery??? Think I,d tackle the battery and leave petrol to burn..
I,d guess Petrol far more unstable and much more likely to self combust...but then again try telling air operators you are taking a gallon of four star in your packed luggage !!!
.. your assumption that burning releases extra energy is correct. The cell contains volatile organic solvents .. Similar to ether, also powered graphite , aluminium or other metal foil ,some plastic and . Once it gets to a temperature to burn, the ether ignites the case cracks and the carbon particles ignites and the metal foils might ignite.the only thing almost guaranteed not to burn is the stainless steel tube on some cells.

D

Deleted member 4366

So, we could get a lot more range if we set light to our batteries and used the heat to propel us! That might work out a bit expensive though if your battery costs £700.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Petrol will not self ignite, irrespective of temperature it needs oxygen, it does have a low flash point temperature where the amount of vapour in air will ignite. The lithium cell is self contained and contains sufficient materials for a combustion cycle to commence., Provided the local temperature is sufficient.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
...and another one goes `bang`, taken from US forum!

"my lithium battery "went nuclear" in my garage a few weeks ago and we have a total loss for everything that was in the garage as well as about $5,000 worth of damage to the garage itself."

17390811_10158552016675454_3921097934151670074_o.jpg

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Should mend with a bit of that new Gorilla tape..

Air carriers will carry upto 300 wh batteries...but terminals have to be covered, battery put in a reinforced case. ( not in unit) and Captain informed !!!
Fuel tanks of any kind must be emptied and purged..
( I,ve seen a effect if a few boat explosions where fumes have collected..to be fair normal culprit for this is LPG , which being heavier than air collects in bilges...Once saw a ski boat bonnet fly 40 feet in air..Motivates you to use bilge blowers before starting engine..
Every activity has its horror stories..just treat batteries properly, don't leave out in heat and charge correctly. There is normally some human error with " accidents"...All energy storage must be treated with respect.

• Agree
Reactions: mike killay

Electric Bloke

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 18, 2017
Wakefield
What shocked me the most was, They had two brand new Ebikes, loaded up with cash, credit cards, drivers licenses, passports and mobile phone, and they simply put them on the side stands in a public place, and were waking away from them!?

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod

Advertisers