Another Newbie in (even more than normal) Wet Manchester - Freego Eagle good n bad

davef

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Manchester
Hi All,
Just joined the forum - although I've 'lurked' reading for a while.
I've got a Freego Eagle 17.5A, a very dodgy back and plenty of time to play with the bike if I can work out how to use it underwater
I bought the bike late last year after going to the NEC Cycle show and took advantage of the extended show discount and after looking for any pitfalls people published in the forum
as such bought it in November...
I'm a total newbie to electric bikes - in fact I bought one purely for the fact that I basically couldn't ride up any inclines due to Spinal problems or ride very far

Freego advised I maybe should get a step through frame but my pride ( and belief that I'd get better/fitter) made me choose the Mountain Bike Frame . I also got the 17.5Amp battery .
Regretted the frame choice for the first few months but I've gradually increased in strength so now believe I've made the right choice in getting the mountain bike frame. Medical issue and weather have made rides not as frequent as I would like ...but when I've been out on the bike - Wow - Brilliant. Really pleased I got it

Overall I'm very pleased with it and I've not really got anything to compare with ( apart from test rides at the NEC) but if I was asked a Yes/No would I buy an Freego Eagle again - I'd say 'Yes' :)

Good
Power, fast , responsive , long range, looks good to me, centre stand. Don't need additional lights, built in carrier, twist throttle makes setting off on a hill a doddle which is so important to me

bad
I've had two main problems with the Eagle - one self inflicted - so its not really a bike problem , one a real problem for me.

The self inflicted....
Because of the superb power I went up a bridal path near where I live and just kept on going up & up.I'd have struggled to walk it - couldn't believe I did it on a bike :rolleyes:.Ended up right next to Rivington Pike ( near Bolton) and of course the problem was coming down..the bike is heavier than I'm used to and I bounced all over the place - Jarred my back big time on all the big stones/ruts - this is not the bikes fault - its mine. still not right. next time --engage brain first :eek:

The Freego Fault.
Because of my back I struggle to hold the bike upright when bending over and fitting the front wheel in ( needed to remove wheel when carrying the bike in the car) so I chose the option of Eagle with a Centre stand which means I can do the wheel without hold the bike as well.
The chain has been rubbing on the centre stand and I was advised to remove the stand.
and the dealer suggested just using the side stand - which is ok if only using locally. Impossible for me if I want to use it further afield via car first),which is mainly what I do
After a few months of "whats happening/ wheres my new stand" etc it looks like a bit of progress has been made.
I've heard that 2012 models will have a modified frame and the dealer is turning up with some "steel bits" to modify the position of the centre stand so hopefully it doesnt rub
I'll let people know if works.

Has anybody else has this problem with a Freego Eagle - and if so what was the solution?
Thanks for reading this loooong intro

Apols if the protocol is to have a short into and then raise separate posts. I'll learn
Dave

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Hi Davef,

I also have an Eagle and love it to bits.

I only have a side stand so have not encountered the problems you have. Hopefully you can resolve this shortly.

For descending off road at speed, you need a dual suspension bike with long travel forks, the constant bashing would surely break something. Are your brakes working ok?

Regarding wheel removal and replacement, you might try turning the bike upside down. If your back is giving you grief, just lay the bike over on some grass, then lift it onto its handlebars taking care to avoid bashing the handlebar controller by resting weight on it. You can put some softening (a jacket perhaps or whatever) under the unit to protect it. With the bike upside down it's a doddle to put the wheel in or out without straining your back, and help to get the wheel properly aligned, or the brakes will squeek for the next 10 miles! If you have a rear wheel puncture out in the hills, it is essential you can turn the bike over, or getting the wheel back in will give your back a nasty turn and be nigh impossible.

The long range is the best bit of my Eagle. I routinely do 40 mile rides, with lots of hills, and always get back with power to spare. I have done 61 miles using power only for hill climbing, had a bit of a sore bum afterwards though! I've done 1340 miles of leisure riding over 9 months with no problems.

Keep us updated on your progress.

Mine's white, what colour have you got?

Last edited:

davef

Just Joined
Jul 13, 2012
Manchester
Hi EagleRider,
My Eagle is the Blue one. Got a few chips in the paint from loose stones. Might see if I can get some touch up paint.
Brakes are ok but I think going up and down steep hills on bumpy roads for me are now a thing of the past.
I can't believe I never thought of turning the bike upside down to do the wheels. Tried it in the garage and like you said easy to do ( if I've taken the battery out first). Thats brilliant advice.
I'd not thought about having punctures - and considering the potential range think I'd better start carrying a pump & maybe a spare tube.
excellent advice for a newbie.

I've now had " the steel bit " fitted - just lowers the stand about 1cm so need to put a bit of black paint on the stand and then see if it still catches. It's using the original bolt - think that's a bit short now . will see if I can locate a longer one.
Having the centre stand and now knowing I can flick it over if required makes me feel a lot better.
I'm consistently doing 20 miles at a time - I know its not a lot but considering 18 months ago I could hardly ride a bike I'm pleased. now to start doing 30-40 miles at a times.

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Great that you're having fun Davef.

Some folk are lucky with punctures, but I've had 7 or 8 already, mostly from Blackthorne hedgecuttings which are unfortunately prevalent around my way.

I learnt an early lesson with my first puncture occuring 23 miles from home with no tube or repair stuff, I had to call a mate to come and get me in his car, most embarrassing. So now I always carry a puncture kit if I'm going any distance, I take a spare tube and a patch repair kit as once I had a two punctures (one in each wheel) within an hour of each other.

As you have found, with the range available you can bet that if you have a problem you may be a long way from home. It might help to have a dummy run at home to ensure your kit contains all you are likely to need, and once familiar, a front wheel puncture will only take 5 minutes to fix.

If you have to fix a rear puncture, the rear derailleur may need adjustment afterwards, I don't know why, but mine usually does, as such you should get familiar with setting up the gears, (there are instructions in your Blue Freego manual). It only takes 5 minutes once you are used to it and can save you having to ride home with clackety gears.

Bon Chance.

boyced

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 16, 2012
A, A
Also from Manchester! Well Moved to Reddish from Peterborough. The weather is nice at the moment!

grasshopper

Pedelecer
May 23, 2012
Also from Manchester! Well Moved to Reddish from Peterborough. The weather is nice at the moment!
I left Reddish in 1948!:)