Another tale of Punctures

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Set off out tonight and first bend the bike is all over the road.. Puncture!! Managed to get back before it was completely flat, took the wheel off and tried to get the tyre off.. Glued to the rims!! .. On closer inspection the bike has been delivered with a tubeless set up, so offspring says blow it up and it will seal itself.. so did just that (35psi) and set off again, 10 mins later its gone soft ..
So, got out my untried Aldi co2 pump and wow I thought the tyre was going to explode!! All it took was 3 seconds to make it rock hard.
Cheers Mr Aldi..
This seemed to do the trick and its stayed hard for now, but I need to get to grips with Tubeless before I end up walking home. Will it have a repair solution inside? there was no evidence of any when I let the air out..I understand from previous threads I will need to add some more at some point..

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sadly my money is on it being flat again by the morning, and that it isn't a tubeless set up.

I'd say that it more likely that the bead was just stuck fast to the rim, and that you have just somehow sealed the hole in the tube against the tyre.

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Afraid that it simply means that the tyres can be fitted with a tubeless conversion.

The wheel set might also have tubeless compatable written on them, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they are tubeless ready.

You need to let the tyre down, break the seal and take a look.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Ok will have another look tomorrow.. I tried to push it off the rim but it wasn't just stuck, I couldn't even make a space to get the tyre levers in. If it was tubeless would the tyre be glued to the rim?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Kind of in respect of a very thin bead that goes rubberised over time, but I've never found that it causes an issue to remove the tyre.

OE tyres can really become stuck fast to the rim, which I am certain is what you are sadly experiencing. I'm really not trying to come across as being doom and gloom. :(

You might well have to stand on the tyre side wall, to break the bead seal. Obviously giving due care and attention to first protect the rim.

• Informative

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Kind of in respect of a very thin bead that goes rubberised over time, but I've never found that it causes an issue to remove the tyre.

OE tyres can really become stuck fast to the rim, which I am certain is what you are sadly experiencing. I'm really not trying to come across as being doom and gloom. :(

You might well have to stand on the tyre side wall, to break the bead seal. Obviously giving due care and attention to first protect the rim.

From your insistence here I am guessing that new bikes don't come with tubeless tyres as a general rule.. a way for me to be sure would be to deflate the tyre and push the valve in feeling for the resistance of the tube.
I don't like the idea of tubeless tyres.. I prefer the older tried and tested technology..

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
does the tyre say tl ready as cant see from pic but bet it has inner tube as when stored in a box b4 sale.

some new tyres and rims can be a very tight fit my back tyre took a hr to get it on.

all you need is 2 valves and sealant if you want to go tubless

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
does the tyre say tl ready as cant see from pic but bet it has inner tube as when stored in a box b4 sale.

some new tyres and rims can be a very tight fit my back tyre took a hr to get it on.

all you need is 2 valves and sealant if you want to go tubless
It says on tyre.
Evolution
Tubeless easy snakeskin
Race star (could be pace star.. it's dirty)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
using sealant is much better as slime wont seal a quarter inc hole ;)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
my rear tyre went on and as was so tight got a seal even with nothing in it, the front was a different story and went on in a flash but could not get a seal.

i did get a seal after 30 mins with just a foot pump just had to wait for it to go off a bit just wasted half of what i put in it.

i just got a cheap 12v air comp of ebay as saves all the hassle then :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
It will be a tough job making the first seal

I find CO2 canisters work great for the first inflation..... So it goes like this:-

* Watch tubeless videos on you tube
* Prepare Wheel (Sounds like your maybe ready) If not you will need to install tape on the rim to seal the spoke holes.
* Install tubeless valves
* Warm up the tyre then fit it but leave a 6" gap
* Pour in sealant (I used Stans and 200 ml) and fit rest of tyre.
* Attach CO2 capsule and tyre will inflate immediately but there will be some leakage from the bead. So hold the wheel horizontally and swill the sealant around inside the wheel then turn the wheel over and do the other side. If it hasn't sealed properly just use another canister.

I'm certain others will have their own methods but this worked well for me and from having punctures almost every ride (Hedge Cutting time) I have not had a puncture in 18 months.

Going tubeless was one of the best thinks I have done to my bike.

Izzy

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Tyre still hard this morning but can't risk it so managed to break the seal and get the tube out.
Before I go ti hakfirds ti buy a slime tube what do I need to make this wheel tubeless?

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Tyre still hard this morning but can't risk it so managed to break the seal and get the tube out.
Before I go ti hakfirds ti buy a slime tube what do I need to make this wheel tubeless?

It looks like your rim is tubeless ready.. So you need tubeless valves and Stans tubeless sealant which I have found excellent. If you are going to use my method of inflation get 4 CO 2 capsules(you may not need that many but nice to be prepared) and the correct adapter to fit to the valves. Watch a few videos on youtube and away you go Good luck

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I had hoped that would be the case. On side of the tyre i.
s still firmly stuck to the rim so only one to seal. Will pop to halfords after lunch and buy the valves and sealant . I have a car compressor which I hope will do the trick if halfords have an adaptor for the presta valves.
Thanks for the info

Related Articles

Advertisers