Any 2106 ebike hybrid/stepthrough bike bargains?

JohnMcL7

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 11, 2015
My Mum has had an ebike for a month as part of a local system to encourage cycling and it has to go back tomorrow but she's giving serious thought to purchasing one in the Spring as she's had a lot of use out of this one. The hire bike is I think a 2015 version of this one:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/prime.e.2/24986/92032/

Much the same spec from what I can see but nine speed rather than ten, she likes the step through frame, the crank drive motor, the rack/mudguards and the derailleur gears. She was hiring an older Giant model the year before that was similar but with rim brakes and hub gears, she prefers the derailleuer gearing and although was fine with rim brakes I think the hydraulic disc brakes are the better choice.

I thought it was worth checking to see if there's any good bargains on similar bikes that would be worth considering to buy now, I saw a nice Felt for supposedly £500 off but it's still around the £1800 mark. I've seen a few references to cheap Cube bikes but they seem to be done so thought it work asking if there's any others worth looking at .

Thanks,
John

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My Mum has had an ebike for a month as part of a local system to encourage cycling and it has to go back tomorrow but she's giving serious thought to purchasing one in the Spring as she's had a lot of use out of this one. The hire bike is I think a 2015 version of this one:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/prime.e.2/24986/92032/

Much the same spec from what I can see but nine speed rather than ten, she likes the step through frame, the crank drive motor, the rack/mudguards and the derailleur gears. She was hiring an older Giant model the year before that was similar but with rim brakes and hub gears, she prefers the derailleuer gearing and although was fine with rim brakes I think the hydraulic disc brakes are the better choice.

I thought it was worth checking to see if there's any good bargains on similar bikes that would be worth considering to buy now, I saw a nice Felt for supposedly £500 off but it's still around the £1800 mark. I've seen a few references to cheap Cube bikes but they seem to be done so thought it work asking if there's any others worth looking at .

Thanks,
John
A Cube/Bosch step through at £1,600 is close to a bargain, particularly as it has the 500wh battery.

However, like so many of these offers it's only available in an unpopular size, in this case large.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Travel-Hybrid-500-Womens-2016-Electric-Bike_84666.htm

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
  • Agree
Reactions: trex

JohnMcL7

Nov 11, 2015
A Cube/Bosch step through at £1,600 is close to a bargain, particularly as it has the 500wh battery.

However, like so many of these offers it's only available in an unpopular size, in this case large.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Cube-Travel-Hybrid-500-Womens-2016-Electric-Bike_84666.htm
Yeah, she's a medium unfortunately so all the bargains I've found are in large sizes.

Is a Bosch system a better choice than a Yamaha one? The Bosch Felt is reduced to £1800 which isn't much less than the Giant Yamaha although I don't know if it is a better deal than it looks to get the Bosch system aside from the much better interface on the Bosch system.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Both the Bosch and Yamaha systems ride nicely and are usually reliable.

I and a few others think the Bosch is a bit more refined in its power delivery, but that's something which wouldn't matter to, or even be noticed by, a lot of riders.

The bigger 500wh battery on some Bosch bikes could be a benefit.

Your mother may not ever want to do more than 10 or 20 miles, but a lot of new ebikers think that and then find they want to do more.

JohnMcL7

Nov 11, 2015
I'm not sure about range, we've been going out 20-30 miles and I think it would be nice to get a bit more range I think my Mum is ok with that range as otherwise the ride gets too long.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I'm not sure about range, we've been going out 20-30 miles and I think it would be nice to get a bit more range I think my Mum is ok with that range as otherwise the ride gets too long.
The bigger battery would be better, not least because it would give your mother the option of turning up the wick if she is tiring on a longer ride.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Has she tried a hub motor? If her riding is on roads that maybe an option to consider. If so I'd add the Wisper Torque to your list of possible bikes. It get great reviews and has a back up second to none.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Has she tried a hub motor? If her riding is on roads that maybe an option to consider. If so I'd add the Wisper Torque to your list of possible bikes. It get great reviews and has a back up second to none.
Excellent reply from the next potential AMPS national sales manager :p.

JohnMcL7

Nov 11, 2015
A second hand Wisper came up locally but she preferred the crank drive on the Giant.

John

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
A second hand Wisper came up locally but she preferred the crank drive on the Giant.
I test rode both the Wisper 705 SE and the Torque - in terms of the way the power is delivered the Torque (which is what I ended up buying) felt very like the crank-drive Raleigh Motus I also tested. It may have been a second-hand Torque she tried but it's worth knowing for sure before writing it off - if it was an SE it will have felt quite different.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes