Any camera buffs out there? Need advice please!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I am going to buy an outdoor security IP camera, but the options give me a choice of 2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm focus. I'm not sure which one to get, could someone explain in layman's, how the numbers relate to what I'm likely to see on the video feed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I am going to buy an outdoor security IP camera, but the options give me a choice of 2.8mm, 3.6mm or 6mm focus. I'm not sure which one to get, could someone explain in layman's, how the numbers relate to what I'm likely to see on the video feed.
Here you are Fordulike, the information and explanatory photos at each length on this link

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Reactions: Fordulike

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
might seem expensive but there built like tanks as had one of there first ones on the wall outside for years now vabot 100 quid but only 640x480

Screenshot (6).png

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Judging by flecc's link, one focal length is possibly not a good idea. Considering one of those fancy pan, tilt and zoom cameras, but not at that price. An AliExpress special is most likely :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
main reason we got it as it can move can put it anywhere as if it was a fixed cam pointing at ppls houses plod can come round and get yo to move them.

next door done it and put one pointing in our back garden and soon got moved ;)

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
main reason we got it as it can move can put it anywhere as if it was a fixed cam pointing at ppls houses plod can come round and get yo to move them.

next door done it and put one pointing in our back garden and soon got moved ;)
Didn't realize that, something to think about.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if it can move then you can stick it anywhere with the one above you can even blank out sections in the software so dont look through windows/back gardens ect but more for the usa.

over here it cant be fixed and over look other ppls houses and gardens.
also have a read of this.
https://ico.org.uk/registration/cctv

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you should not have to go that far but some ppl can be ass holes like we had ours up for years then next door decided to moan about it to the council as plod wont do jack as it moves they came out and told us wee had 4 weeks to remove it.

i said if i had to ill reg it with the ico in that case so it stays and bung a few more up to cover everything back and front.

did not like that but just gave up and left.

Advertisers