Anyone Fancying a PUNT on the new Impulse Evo bike in 2016

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Given the increasing level of posts on this forum concerning high mileage/long term reliability issues of the Impulse range of motors that Kalkhoff have 'developed' (I use the term reservedly),

Question.......
Is anyone going taking a PUNT on the latest (third) re-incarnation of the Impulse motor as the Impulse Evo to power Kalkhoff bikes in 2016. Hopefully, the plastic gears which seem incapable of dealing with the torque, and which many neither want or need, will have been superceded with something that doesn't copes and doesn't fail

Good luck to the BRAVE!! I/we avidly await first initial reports

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I suppose you could say that if you don’t want the extra power which seems to be overloading the bottom end of the motor you don’t have to use it; and then I would imagine you would be problem free.

But I don’t think they or the other manufactures are far out in making the motors more powerful every year. Because most people do want it unfortunately. As can be seen from the many comments here from new buyers. That’s why they and the others are pushing the motors past what they were designed for. There has been much praise here for the old Panasonic motors, but I’m willing to bet that if someone still offered them in the UK they would have few takers. Because most new riders do want more power, and because the UK is a lot more hilly than Holland.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
The later Panasonic motors have a lot of power.

My friend has a 2012 Pro Connect S which uses the 350w Panasonic motor.

It's lowest power setting provides more power than my 2008 Pro Connect S does in it's highest setting.

He's covered over 4000 fast commuting miles and the motors been faultless, with just the usual regular chain replacement issues of most high powered pedelecs.

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011

It's lowest power setting provides more power than my 2008 Pro Connect S does in it's highest setting.

He's covered over 4000 fast commuting miles and the motors been faultless, with just the usual regular chain replacement issues of most high powered pedelecs.

the pro connect S 2012 is a superb bike and tell your friend to keep hold of it,i have the bosch performance motor,the impulse 2 and the new evo and the 350 w 36v panasonic motor is faster than all of them,i did 30,000 km on mine and only had a few issues with a charger and a battery,the only downside with the panasonic motor is that chainrings,motor sprockets and chains have to be well maintained if it is used as intended.

Reactions: flecc

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014

Not sure you can fairly compare the 350w version with a a 250w one.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
I'm quite tempted and having ridden both would definitely take the evo over impulse 2.

You can feel the extra over over the impulse 2 and I like the look of it.

Both were great though.

Why do you think it's a bad thing for manufacturers to make them mo powerful (provided everything else is capable of dealing with it)? For me an ebike wouldn't be for exercise - it'd be an easy means of transport.

git-r

Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2015
Not sure you can fairly compare the 350w version with a a 250w one.
Although not scientific I found the evo 250 w quicker up a hill than the impulse 2 350 w. Difficult to be sure though - tried the same hill on all the different versions but found the 350 w evo quickest with the same effort if that makes sense..

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
... For me an ebike wouldn't be for exercise - it'd be an easy means of transport.
no argument from me there. I even think that e-bikes should be an easy, convenient, lightweight, democratic, healthy and CHEAP transport.

Reactions: git-r

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Define cheap.

I did a costing spreadsheet the other day (end of year thing...). My bike came out at 0.13€ a kilometre including amortization. In real life terms I am saving 0.18€ compared to public transport every time I go to the station.

Electricity is 0.11€ per 100 km - electricity plus taxes and meter rental and all the stuff that make up over 60% of the electricity bill I mean...

Cold Water

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I bought Kalkhoff Include recently. It's a 2016 model, with Impulse Evo motor. One of Kalkhoff's press releases mentioned how this new motor had a number of mechanical improvements over Impulse 2, in terms of strength and reliability. It was a big factor in going for this model for me. At the time, I wasn't aware of reliability issues reported on Impulse 2 in this forum and elsewhere.

After just a few kms, riding from the shop to home, I've noticed a clacking noise around pedals. There was some initial click when starting or stopping pedaling, which I thought must be some kind of a mechanical clutch engaging/disengaging, so I wasn't alarmed, but then click-clacking went on continuously even while doing uniform, uninterrupted pedaling.

When I found out about experiences of others, and especially after seeing a few YouTube posts on this, where the clacking sound was disturbingly similar to the one I had, it got me really alarmed. I took the bicycle back to the shop where I bought it from to be checked.

The dealer was honest, upfront and transparent. He showed me the video of what they found out. It was a factory fault. The bearing between the main motor shaft and the casing had too much space around it, towards the casing. Once they put glue between the outer side of the bearing and the motor casing, the noise and mechanical play was gone. This sort of confirmed that this was the source of the noise.

I love the bike, but I don't want to keep an inferior specimen. I paid top dollar for the top brand, and not something kept together with the help of glue. The manufacturing process failed and the quality control in Germany also failed. I feel uncomfortable thinking about what else may have been missed. I'm in the process of resolving it with the seller on how to go from here.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if the dealer glued a bearing in side the motor take it back and get ur money back.

no dealer can even open a motor let alone fix it under warranty

Cold Water

May 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
This is not just a sales establishment, but also a bicycle workshop. They did this with the approval of Derby Cycles distributor and after a consultation with them. I think it's OK if they wanted to establish if this was just some loose cable or screw and nothing too serious. It turned out to be serious, so now it needs proper resolution. Glue is not that.

D

Deleted member 4366

Jeez, that would worry me too. The main point of concern for me is how much gap did they fill. Is the shaft now slightly out of line, which could maybe cause long-term gear wear or something like that. Without seeing the details, it's difficult to say.

I'd be happy with a repair like that if it was only to keep my bike going while they sought a more permanent solution.

Reactions: Cold Water

Cold Water

May 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
That's exactly the argument I made when seeking redress. Also, glue is an additional risk factor - its mechanical strength, resistance to temperature, vibration, moisture.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
given the amount of problems with them and all they did is glue the bearing back on is an unacceptable fix to a well known problem.

if the motor jammed up and sent you over the handlebars in to traffic would they pay up as its there fault end of the day.

Reactions: Cold Water

countarthur

Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Wales
I bought Kalkhoff Include recently. It's a 2016 model, with Impulse Evo motor. One of Kalkhoff's press releases mentioned how this new motor had a number of mechanical improvements over Impulse 2, in terms of strength and reliability. It was a big factor in going for this model for me. At the time, I wasn't aware of reliability issues reported on Impulse 2 in this forum and elsewhere.

After just a few kms, riding from the shop to home, I've noticed a clacking noise around pedals. There was some initial click when starting or stopping pedaling, which I thought must be some kind of a mechanical clutch engaging/disengaging, so I wasn't alarmed, but then click-clacking went on continuously even while doing uniform, uninterrupted pedaling.

When I found out about experiences of others, and especially after seeing a few YouTube posts on this, where the clacking sound was disturbingly similar to the one I had, it got me really alarmed. I took the bicycle back to the shop where I bought it from to be checked.

The dealer was honest, upfront and transparent. He showed me the video of what they found out. It was a factory fault. The bearing between the main motor shaft and the casing had too much space around it, towards the casing. Once they put glue between the outer side of the bearing and the motor casing, the noise and mechanical play was gone. This sort of confirmed that this was the source of the noise.

I love the bike, but I don't want to keep an inferior specimen. I paid top dollar for the top brand, and not something kept together with the help of glue. The manufacturing process failed and the quality control in Germany also failed. I feel uncomfortable thinking about what else may have been missed. I'm in the process of resolving it with the seller on how to go from here.
I wish I'd read this post before my purchase last week. Is this a factory fault on all Evo motors ? Do you have a link to the you tube videos? The bikes have a 2 year warranty though.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
put the miles in and find out if it starts clanking then its knackered.

they will replace it under warranty tho.

Reactions: countarthur

Cold Water

May 3, 2016
Sydney, Australia
There would be far more complaints if this problem was present on ALL bikes. I was probably just unlucky. The worrying bit is that this is not just an isolated case, and symptoms reported are very similar.

If you go to YouTube and search for "Kalkhoff motor noise", you'll get a few links. Mine is titled "New Kalkhoff Include Pedal Noise".

There are other worrying issues. See this thread

Reactions: countarthur