Are there any British manufacturers?

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Let's hope so this time! I can't remember how many years it was that we first heard this announced, but it does seem that it will finally happen soon.
I have actually seen it at the Brompton factory. However I really would be surprised if we saw it this season. As RM discovered when they tried to electrify the Birdy, it's tricky.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
And of course the Brompton will soon be available electrified.

And possibly Orange as well, which is something that I selfishly hope that they don't do. I like the fact that they seem to be a company of traditional values, a loyal fan/buyer base, and whilst market trends clearly dictate the need to make an eMTB, I sadly feel that it is a sell out.

I realise, or rather have read that the lower end Orange products aren't manufactured in the UK, but as far as I am aware the higher end products still are.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I could cope with an Orange ebike.
that will be a 6k plus bike and the batt is the wrong way round still:rolleyes:

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
On the Sven bike is the spit cross bar going either side of the rear wheel a good or bad design? I’ve not seen it before.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
On the Sven bike is the spit cross bar going either side of the rear wheel a good or bad design? I’ve not seen it before.
Classic. All/most women's steel frame sports bikes made in France before the 1970's have frames like that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

The Juicy bike shown on this link has this feature and eZee also used to make the Cadence cruiser model using a similar frame. Photo of that on this link.

It increases the front frame lateral rigidity and is a convenient way to accommodate a rear of seat tube battery.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
Thanks guys. Looking at the bike is it “value for money”. Or are there better for the same price?

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Is there any country (other than China) which manufactures ebikes using only internally sourced components?

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Is there any country (other than China) which manufactures ebikes using only internally sourced components?
Japan? Mama-chari’s using Panasonic or Yamaha engines and batteries. To be honest the Williams hub motor on the Brompton Electric is great, German battery but at least it’s European.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, Japan with Panasonic and Yamaha complete pedelecs, and they both did it first long before China.

Also Taiwan since they make a neat crank motor unit and all other bike and e-bike parts. They may also make other bike motors but I only know of the crank unit.

N.B. Crossed with Dewey's post.

Reactions: Dewey

Dewey

Pedelecer
Sep 12, 2016
Arlington, VA
Great website but no mention of prices ...
For Beaumont? The website says 1300 for a basic frame, 75 for a fitting, the Cyclotricity kit I think is 500 with the 11ah battery, components on top so depending on what you wanted say just over a couple of grand.

Last edited: