Are there 'gold standard' brands/manufacturers?

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Bosch are the best in class as far as mid drive motors are concerned.The CX motor has proven outstanding in reliability and performance.
Now i have heard that dealing with magura who are the distributors can be a little tricky but they probably have so few problems with the latest motors that it isn`t a concern.
Yamaha are close and maybe the new PW-X 2017 motor will be the one to have next year if the claims and specs are correct.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Personally I would buy off someone local who has a good selection of bikes to try. We have previously collected bikes not near us but the person does not often keep the large box so you have to send one out and if you work you have to book a day off and sometimes couriers let you down. Problems are rare but do happen and if you support a local dealer most will look after you. This is why we now personally deliver only and if an issue cannot be resolved remotely it means we are close enough to sort it out and loan a bike at no additional cost.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I should clarify, that we will supply a loan bike if we cannot fix a problem within 5 working days after the bike has been returned to our workshops here in Kent.

This applies to bikes still under warranty and if the issue is covered by our warranty. It applies to the mark 2 Wisper Torque bikes and the new Wisper SE bikes (with rack battery).

All the best, David

Reactions: LeighPing

Jay Lewis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 15, 2016
Bristol
Thanks for all the ideas and recommendations. One thing that emerges from this is that it's probably worth buying from a local dealer with a good reputation, in case anything does go wrong. Maybe that's more crucial than going for a specific make or model...?

Angelnorth

Pedelecer
May 13, 2016
Hexham, Northumberland
If you're lucky enough to have a dealer who is not only local but also has a range of makes/models as well as good knowledge and reputation then supporting them seems to make perfect sense in that they're likely to support you in return!

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

nemesis

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 14, 2011
Make sure you buy the bike that is right for you,everyone has different needs so test ride as much as possible.
Carting a e-bike around in a car is hard work and that is why local dealers are best.I used to buy at distance but after a few breakdowns i learned the hard way after a 250 mile round trip that it wasn`t a good idea although there are a few dealers who will have the bike collected and delivered free if anything goes wrong.

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
My local dealer will only sell Bosch powered eBikes. He said they had sold a lot of eBikes but had too many reliability problems with other brands. (he specifically mentioned water ingress as been an issue he had encountered numerous times) Whether they are the 'gold' standard I don't know, but they are certainly a high standard.

Now queue a dozen responses about failures and problems with Bosch :)

But I would say whatever you buy, buy it from a local dealer with experience in the brand and who is willing and able to deal with any issues you have. I would say there is the potential for more to go wrong on these bikes and so you need a dealer who knows what they are doing.
If it's Bosch and it goes wrong it goes back to Germany, they do not 'swap out' parts - not even batteries - they rebuild your faulty item and return it - it takes a month, Wisper have a five day loan promise & Freego have their five day replacement promise, that type of assurance is impossible with a Bosch powered bike. I bet that Kudos and Woosh have the same ethos, if it goes wrong, fix it - fast, they are in it for the long term and their lives wouldn't be worth living on this forum if they didn't deliver on service.

If I had to make the choice between a Bosch or a Bafang (who have sold an awful lot more motors than Bosch) powered bike from my local dealer reliability/after sales service would actually lead me to favour Bafang slightly.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
If it's Bosch and it goes wrong it goes back to Germany, they do not 'swap out' parts - not even batteries - they rebuild your faulty item and return it - it takes a month.
From experience, your written statement could not be further from the truth.

Firstly if the dealer is Bosch approved, then they would have done all that they could to diagnose and fix the issue, and failing that there is UK support to fall back upon.

If in the event that a motor/battery does have to be replaced under warranty, then you are looking at a one week turn around.

If you are stating/basing your comment from past experience, which bike brand was it, and which dealer did you use?

Last edited:

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
From experience, your written statement could not be further from the truth.

Firstly if the dealer is Bosch approved, then they would have done all that they could to diagnose and fix the issue, and failing that there is UK support to fall back upon.

If in the event that a motor/battery does have to be replaced under warranty, then you are looking at a one week turn around.

If you are stating/basing your comment from past experience, which bike brand was it, and which dealer did you use?
You are mistaken: Bosch dealers can diagnose the fault and they can remove the motor from the bike, they cannot open it or repair it though, (same for the battery), they ring Bosch and Bosch send a courier to collect it, it is transported by road to Germany and it is repaired there, as a result Bosch actually warn their service agents to advise their customers that it will take a month to repair.
I assure you that I am not a liar.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
You are mistaken: Bosch dealers can diagnose the fault and they can remove the motor from the bike, they cannot open it or repair it though, (same for the battery), they ring Bosch and Bosch send a courier to collect it, it is transported by road to Germany and it is repaired there, as a result Bosch actually warn their service agents to advise their customers that it will take a month to repair.
I assure you that I am not a liar.
I am not suggesting you are a liar for a moment.

We are a Bosch dealer and can diagnose. Unfortunately the service from Bosch is still patchy in the U.K., we have waited weeks for resolutions. Magura who look after Bosch's interests in the U.K. can be very tricky to deal with however they are in the throes of opening a facility in the U.K. soon. We hope things will improve.

We have had to supply new batteries to customers rather than have them wait for Magura's gears to start turning.

I can assure you that our service with Wisper bikes is a lot better than Magura's is with Bosch.

All the best, David

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
First bike... New motor one week. New battery three days.

Second motor on a different bike again five days. Dropped off at shop on a Monday mid morning, new motor arrived from Germany and fitted on the Friday.

So glad that I opted for a KTM. :)

Last edited:

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
I am not suggesting you are a liar for a moment.

We are a Bosch dealer and can diagnose. Unfortunately the service from Bosch is still patchy in the U.K., we have waited weeks for resolutions. Magura who look after Bosch's interests in the U.K. can be very tricky to deal with however they are in the throes of opening a facility in the U.K. soon. We hope things will improve.

We have had to supply new batteries to customers rather than have them wait for Magura's gears to start turning.

I can assure you that our service with Wisper bikes is a lot better than Magura's is with Bosch.

All the best, David
My reply wasn't directed to you David.

• Useful
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
had my new 500w batt from magura 3 days after at the dealers new motor after a week if send mine back if i ever need a new one ;)

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
So which bike brand and dealer was it?

I have never suggested that I have had a battery or motor fail - Bosch or Bafang and yes I do have a lot of experience of both.

I have simply stated the facts, Bosch tell dealers to prepare for a one month wait, several companies using Far Eastern motor & battery components guarantee a five day turnaround.

Nobody in their right mind would argue that Bosch don't have a great product but they are not perfect and sometimes other companies offer something better in one way or another, I didn't respond in an effort to criticise Bosch it was an effort to balance the debate.

One month is not a bike brand or dealer specific statement. It comes from Bosch themselves, Dealers are advised of this on the Bosch accreditation courses.