Are You Really More Likely to Use Electric Bikes?

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010
Are You Really more likely to use an electric bike rather than a traditional bicycle? It appears to be suggested that this is true generally because e-bikes are less effort, and so they're more appealing. That and the number of bikes rusting in sheds helps skew the numbers...

But take this example from BEBA's website

4. You will cycle more with an electric bike

As mentioned above, some people may argue that a conventional push bike will keep you fitter. This argument very much depends on how often you use it. We believe that you are more likely to use an electric bike as the usual limiting factors such as hills and headwinds are no longer obstacles. With a conventional bike these factors leave the cyclist feeling exhausted. With an electric bike though, you can simply just switch on the power and overcome them with ease.

To add; the bikes are fun to ride. Therefore, you will be more motivated to hop on and quickly ride to the local shop or go for a bike ride out in the fresh air.
I was wondering if there was any evidence or statistics in bicycle usage that might help prove this?

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
The main reason I got my ebike is to help me get around when I do odd-jobs. Contending with hills while carrying over 5kg of equipment and materials is no fun on a bicycle, especially if I have to do manual work after, and cycle back.

I very rarely pedal mine except to get quicker acceleration from a stand or up hills quicker. If my chain didn't slip I'd probably pedal a bit more.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I most definately got Wilma because I found a conventional bike just to hard to deal with especially up hills being as unfit as I was and with the health problems I have. I pedal all the time when using Wilma and I have found myself turning off the power more often the longer I've been using her but still use power to get me up hills otherwise I'd be in a heap on the floor.

tonio

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2009
Im sick of shoping in my local t*****s. People walking about mindlessly like zombies following their basic consumer programming (or was that in a 70s horror flick?}
Anyway i try to support my local corner shop more where the atmosphere is a lot more friendly. Trips to the supermarket however are made more pleasant when im on my Wisper 905se with double panniers and radio/mp3 with speakers to keep me entertained. The bike is a real workhorse and you couldnt carry anything like the amount of goods on a conventional bike, nor would you want to. Do such trips save the planet from the car pollution prevented? probably not. Do they make lshopping more interesting and a lot less humdrum? definitely.
Ebikes get used. Bicycles get you fit. Get an ebike and you can look as if youre fit to the casual observer.:D

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Previous year 2009 on my dawes i cycled about 1300 miles last year pushing over 3000 miles in about 1/3 of the year. So i guess you can say i use my electric bike a bit more :D

BLACKPANTHER

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2010
Doncaster.
This is a tricky one. I've cycled to work for the last year on a non-electric bike, and I really love it. What I don't love though, is cycling in strong headwinds, if my knee's playing up, or if I'm a bit ill. I bought the ebike to use on those odd occasions.

I'd say that if you're 100% fit, then an ebike doesn't make as much sense. But if you have a long term injury, your 'past it' or just live in a really hilly area, then they're great for still getting some exercise.

I'm hoping to use either the town bike or the ebike for 95%+ commuting next year, maybe once a week on the ebike.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Last night I was in bed trying to sleep and was wondering how many regular ebike users there were in Sheffield. I'd love to speed down some of those hills, but don't fancy going up them, motor or not!

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
I thought i would get fit and purchased a normal mountain bike,it was great at first along the tow path, but when i tried to ride it up the steep hill home i was gasping for breath,after only using it once in six months i ended up selling it and buying an electric bike, i actually enjoy riding this as i can either pedal along without help on the flat.or i can choose the amount of effort i want to put in on the hills,ok i do not bother using it if it is very cold or raining,but if the weather is resonable the bike is my first choice of transport, even over the car,so i am in effect getting far more exercise from an electric bike than a normal bike which was unused.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
This time last year I finished my DIY EBrompton. Since then I have cycled to and from work (10 miles round trip) most days, clocking up 1500 miles.

The only thing that has stopped me in the last month or so, is the rubbish weather :mad:

Before I got the Brompton, I barely ever got on a bike and had been driving my car to and from work most day for nearly ten years previously.

Also now most weekends Sat & Sun I have been going out on a non electric bike (my new Moulton TSR2) slowly building up the milage to between 3-5 miles for exercise. This has helped my naff back tremendously. In the summer I hope to have worked up enough fitness to enable me to ride my Moulton into work on sunny warm days.

So summing up E bikes have transformed my life in many different ways including fitness wise and providing mental health benefits in riding my bike every day to work, rather than getting in a tin box day in day out.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Although I do ride my E bike to local village shops and PO (5 miles nearest shop) I mainly ride mine to get out in the fresh air and away from the house for a break. I do walk sometimes but before the E bike I would use the car for a break outside but now it`s the E bike and I vary the routes. I always come back feeling better in mind and body and then really enjoy a cuppa.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
In a word, 'Yes!'
We had in effect given up cycling as a method of transport. We have a couple pf Bromptons which lived in the boot of the car and were used once or twice a month for a ride round the local park (Tatton Park, in Cheshire.)
The, years ago, I bought a PowaByke and regularly used that to cycle to a neighbouring town once a week to do voluntary work. (Round trip about 20 miles.) That gave way to a Honda scooter for a couple of years, until CRB's became obligatory, where upon I gave up voluntary work. Blowed if I was going tp operate in a climate of distrust. Scooter went and Juicy Bikes entered and transformed our lives. Practical & pleasant means of transport. A bike to go places on! Shopping, visiting family & friends and, like yesterday, just to go for a ride on. We have, to our minds, the perfect set up. Bus pass into town, car/train for long trips, ebikes for everything else!

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
Absolutely. When the company I work for moved 7 miles out of town alongside one of the most notoriously hilly A roads in the vicinity I was so depressed I actually sold my Moulton on eBay as there was no way I was going to toil sweatily to work on that, with all the showering and changing nonsense that it would necessitate. Two years later (last August) I heard about ebikes, particularly about an almost-new one for sale in neighbouring Bristol and wha-hey, back in the saddle! Admittedly I'm back in the car during the dark winter nights as I have neither the wet weather gear nor the courage to cycle on a v.fast unlit main road at this time of year. But as soon as the clocks change it'll be two wheels once more. Hurrah for electric bikes!

electricmike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2011
Definitely fitter

I had a heart attack 3 years ago and whilst I liked to cycle was very nervous to do so. However my e-bike (a Greenedge Blackstar 2) became a fantastic "freedom-finder" for me and I'm out every day getting a gentle cardiovascular workout. I know that my health is better than before and I enjoy every minute out and about whether I'm in central london or the suburbs. My longest trip has been 20 miles each way ( a rest overnite) and I felt fine, not overworked or stressed.
Fabulous!

Mike

tribalecho

Pedelecer
Jul 27, 2010
Guernsey
I've enjoyed cycling over the years, but since having my third baby at 45, and now over 50, I thought I was doing well to cycle 2 miles a week on my push bike. I used to drive the 2.5 miles to work each day - I only managed to cycle there a couple of times each summer (uphill and too much like hard work).
Now I average 10 miles a day on my Raleigh e-bike, I've not driven my car to work since I got it 6 months ago. 1900 miles and still loving it :)
So that's a definite yes from me!

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
Absolutely yes!

Since getting in to ebikes a little over a year ago, I've done about 3000 miles just getting to and from work. I use it in virtually all weather. Before that I had cycled to work on a conventional bike but only on the odd day if the weather was nice and I was feeling up to it. I would say over the last 20 years before getting an e-bike I've probably cycled to work about 20 times in total.

Marky T

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2009
Hi all,

Before October 2009 I had not ridden a bike for about 15 years, then a workmate got a E-Bike. After having a quick ride on it, I wanted one. I absolutely love my E-Bike and wouldn't part with it for anything, I am lucky enough to only work about just over a mile away but I use it for work 90% of the time, I love using it for leisurely rides, reasonable distances 5-20 miles you don't really have to think about, something that I don't think I would have done on a normal bike. Taking my 4 year old daughter on the back has been great, nice sunny evenings, stopping off for a picnic, great, what memories, I'd recommend one to anybody.

Marky T:)

EdBike

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2010