ASA ebike dongles

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4366

As this thread has been started in the wrong forum sub heading,
I did it deliberately because I've been watching this vid from Steve Terreberry on Youtube. I wondered how long before I'd get a bite. I'm feeling rebellious. He's one of the most entertaining musicians on Youtube at the moment. he plays all the instruments (programmed drums) on every song and mixes it all himself in his bedroom:

This one explains a bit more about him:

Reactions: Kenny

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you have your fun but surely know that derestriction affects adversely manufacturers, importers and dealers.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I did it deliberately because I've been watching this vid from Steve Terreberry on Youtube. I wondered how long before I'd get a bite. I'm feeling rebellious. He's one of the most entertaining musicians on Youtube at the moment. he plays all the instruments (programmed drums) on every song and mixes it all himself in his bedroom:
You've lost me, but thanks for taking the time to explain. :)

D

Deleted member 4366

you have your fun but surely know that derestriction affects adversely manufacturers, importers and dealers.
Assuming that you mean fitting dongles and not watching Stevie T vids, I don't agree at all. In fact I believe the opposite, that it encourages more people to use ebikes, which is good for everyone.

Out of interest, what adverse effects do you think it has? Are you saying that people are going to stop buying ebikes because other people are fitting dongles? That wouldn't make sense at all.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
If i ever have a bike that is stuck at 15.5 mph and couldnt be changed in the LCD, I would have no problem having a dongle if thats what needed to get it up to a more reasonable level. Im not talking 30 mph +, a nice steady 20 odd is good for me :)
Just like driving a car. How many people have dared to go over the 70 motorway speed limit....not many I guess ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Out of interest, what adverse effects do you think it has? Are you saying that people are going to stop buying ebikes because other people are fitting dongles? That wouldn't make sense at all.
We have insurance but there is always a possibility that we may get embroiled in litigation if something bad happens involving the bike. Next time you come to Southend, we can have a chat about it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
You may say you want 'only' 20mph but if the bike is capable of even higher speed when derestricted?
Down to common sense then I guess. I feel safe doing 20 on a bike. I can go faster than that quite comfortably now if I chose to, but I dont. Upping from 15 to 20 feels nice, whereas 15 just feels like walking.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve A and nemesis

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
whereas 15 just feels like walking
Your bike has a DD motor, not pleasant to pedal without assistance at high speed.
If you buy a nice CD bike next time, especially one with skinny tyres, you can easily satisfy that addiction without derestricting.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
that is because you use your bike like a motorbike.
If you buy a nice CD bike next time, especially one with skinny tyres, you can easily satisfy that addiction without derestricting.
I think I see what you are saying, but if i can ride a standard bike at the same speed as my ebike, I dont understand why the laws of this country dictate that you can have ride at that speed but only if you use your own power to get there.
Thats like saying its ok to exceed a speed limit in a car by coasting down a hill as long as you dont use the engine....

Nanny state springs to mind.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Down to common sense then I guess. I feel safe doing 20 on a bike. I can go faster than that quite comfortably now if I chose to, but I dont. Upping from 15 to 20 feels nice, whereas 15 just feels like walking.
I feel safe at 60 km/h on my current bike and I walk at 6 km/h (yep that is 10x slower). Now there are a lot of faster walkers out there but I can walk at 6 km/h up hill and down dale for 8 hours a day. I wanted to go faster on my bike initially, now I just want to average 25 km/h for 8 hours a day.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think I see what you are saying, but if i can ride a standard bike at the same speed as my ebike,
and possibly even faster because the hysterisis resistance (aka cogging) of your direct drive motor. CD and geared hub motors have none of that - with a strong torque motor, you can easily average 15mph on roads with light traffic pedaling for pleasure and without derestricting.

D

Deleted member 4366

We have insurance but there is always a possibility that we may get embroiled in litigation if something bad happens involving the bike. Next time you come to Southend, we can have a chat about it.
Jeez, you're getting as bad as Colin. There's always the possibility that you'll be killed by an asteroid when you step out of the house or the world will end next week when Yellowstone Park erupts. I can't see how somebody fitting a dongle to a Haibike is going to destroy your business, when you neither sell dongles nor Haibikes.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
and possibly even faster because the hysterisis resistance (aka cogging) of your direct drive motor. CD and geared hub motors have none of that - with a strong torque motor, you can easily average 15mph on roads with light traffic pedaling for pleasure and without derestricting.
Maybe I missed the point...do you mean one of your woosh ebikes will assist you over 15.5 mph..I thought they cut out when they get to that speed?

If thats not the case, and I could bike averaging 20 and getting to work without being covered in sweat, thats a different story ;)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Jeez, you're getting as bad as Colin..
I am sorely tempted to remove the full throttle but haven't done so yet, only asking customers to rotate the cranks a bit first.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
if i can ride a standard bike at the same speed as my ebike, I dont understand why the laws of this country dictate that you can have ride at that speed but only if you use your own power to get there.
The key is in your use of ebike, that isn't what we have. An ebike means an electrically powered bike, and those come under motor vehicle law,

Ours are EAPCs, Electric Assist Pedal Cycles. The law provides for a degree of assistance for cycling for those needing it, and as such isn't to provide sporting performance, it's just to assist normal utility cycling.

And that is generally at around 12 mph, often much less. It's roadies who commonly ride in the 20 mph and over region and they are sport cyclists.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Maybe I missed the point..
Next time, just make sure that you enjoy pedaling your new bike without power and as fast as you do (on flat roads) as with your normal bike.
When I do demos, I always suggest customers to pedal without power at some stage during the test rides and ask them how they feel.

• Dislike
Reactions: Steve A

Advertisers