B& Q car parks

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Do the above employ somebody to design their car parks so that getting in or out is as difficult as possible.All the ones in my area seem to be that if one car is coming in/out,there is no room for another to pass,or is it just me getting old and grumpy (lol)

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Do the above employ somebody to design their car parks so that getting in or out is as difficult as possible.All the ones in my area seem to be that if one car is coming in/out,there is no room for another to pass,or is it just me getting old and grumpy (lol)
Whyever would you want to leave such a delightful place? Stay and spend, spend spend! You know they're worth it - the more you spend the more you save! ;-o

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At least it's even, getting in or out affected.

Many on the Purley Way retail area west of Croydon are easy to get into but very difficult to get out of. That's real design genius.

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I am pretty sure all 'Retail Parking spaces' are designed by people who think every vehicle has sliding doors.......:rolleyes:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
My local B&Q superstore has a lovely big bike park adjacent to the main entrance. The only trouble is, it is completely blocked from access by display sheds, racks of plants, etc. When I complained, I was directed to a sort of portable bike rack holding a maximum of about six, and where you have to lift up the front of your bike to get it in; not the best thing for a heavy ebike! Oh, and it is at the furthest point of the car park from the entrance. So needless to say, on the occasions when I do go there by bike, I lock it to one of their nice plant displays nearest the door.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done Roger! When my West Wickham Halfords got rid of their bike rack to make more car space, I protested by locking my bike across the fire exit staircase on each visit, poiinting out to them that it was the only thing that a bike could now be locked to. They did nothing about it, obviously not valuing their own lives, such is the depression they suffer from working for Halfords.

iwchris

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 10, 2012
Isle of Wight
My local B&Q superstore has a lovely big bike park adjacent to the main entrance. The only trouble is, it is completely blocked from access by display sheds, racks of plants, etc. When I complained, I was directed to a sort of portable bike rack holding a maximum of about six, and where you have to lift up the front of your bike to get it in; not the best thing for a heavy ebike! Oh, and it is at the furthest point of the car park from the entrance. So needless to say, on the occasions when I do go there by bike, I lock it to one of their nice plant displays nearest the door.
Our Morrisons is the same regarding a badly positioned bike park, it is at one side and well back out of site, just about the worst place it could be for cycle security, I expect it is just another case of the designers having loads of university degrees and not an ounce of common sense.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The other problem with supermarkets etc who provide stainless steel railed bays for bike parking is that everyone else seems to think they are trolley bays. I've often found the bays full of trolleys dropped off and had to move a number first to lock my bike.

Synthman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2010
Oxford
Well my local B&Q's car park WAS* like that, however the car park belongs to other stores too. There are no facilities for parking bikes at all, unless you lean it against the side of the store.

*There were rumours in the local paper that they were going to charge drivers to use that particular car park, and that B&Q would move to a smaller unit on the same site. What actually happened is that B&Q shut down about 3 weeks ago, permanently. How very inconvenient, I used to ebike it there in less than 10 minutes, especially after the local branch of Travis Perkins moved 2 miles away instead of the 5 minute walk from home.

geostorm

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2009
Same as ours ,even more of a puzzle who designed Tescos inside, placing obtacles all in main aisles, and to park, thats every man for himself, more complicated everything if you want fuel, ah but dont lets forget they are now doing well in Insurance market so think ahead and watch out..

By the way have you partaken in Krypton entrants..guide .

Last edited:

Andys

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 10, 2010
Putting lives at risk; maybe a slight overreaction

Well done Roger! When my West Wickham Halfords got rid of their bike rack to make more car space, I protested by locking my bike across the fire exit staircase on each visit, poiinting out to them that it was the only thing that a bike could now be locked to. They did nothing about it, obviously not valuing their own lives, such is the depression they suffer from working for Halfords.
Blocking a fire exit staircase; stupid at the very least.

Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Keep digging Andy, you should find loads more posts to upset your sensibilities. :p

Advertisers