Badass tuning dongle fouling on spokes

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
My Badass dongle arrived yesterday, but when clipped on to the sensor it catches the spokes. Only by about 2mm at the end nearest the seat post.

I see there's an adapter plate available, but at £12 plus £7 delivery, I'm thinking of knocking something up myself, and I just wondered if anyone's been there, done that, and found an ingenious solution.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gaz

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
  • Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you bought it direct from badass then they would have gave you one for free as other members has had the same problem and got them free of charge.

ask for a free adaptor or send it back for a refund ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Gaz and LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Oooh I like that idea, as I did indeed buy direct from Badass. Will contact them tomorrow :cool:

Ta

Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
others have got them so give it a go or let you off the postage for it ;)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
others have got them so give it a go or let you off the postage for it ;)
Good answer would be to charge a fiver more and include a fitting kit that'd get customers over such hurdles:rolleyes:

Gaz

• Agree
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you unscrew the sensor then fit the dongle you could then move it and secure with cable ties.

if it is flat and not at a angle you should get it to work ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I like mods. Don't forget the pics please. :)
Me too LeighPing I love mods. Is there anything that we don't share in common? Just a quick reminder I still love your dog and that is something that we both can not share and I'm not giving up first ok?:mad:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
My Badass dongle arrived yesterday, but when clipped on to the sensor it catches the spokes. Only by about 2mm at the end nearest the seat post.

I see there's an adapter plate available, but at £12 plus £7 delivery, I'm thinking of knocking something up myself, and I just wondered if anyone's been there, done that, and found an ingenious solution.

Thanks in anticipation.

Gaz
My brother tried to fit a Badass dongle to his wife's Whyte ebike.

Even with the mounting kit, he couldn't see a way to make the dongle fit short of some fairly major modifications.

Hopefully you will do better.

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Well I've tried cable tying it to the lower arm with the speed sensor dis-mounted, but there was still not enough space between the arm and the spokes:
(Warning for the squeamish: some cable ties were harmed in the making of this post)

So I tried mounting it under, and against the back of the kick stand:

But there was still not enough room :(

So I started to tinker with some old cycle reflector mounts:

More thinking out loud than anything.

But I think I may have it sussed. The speed sensor is located above the kick stand:

And the kick stand itself mounts on the inside of the frame plate:

So I'm now thinking along the lines of slightly longer bolts on the kick stand and then sandwich a piece of repair plate between the two, extend this out a couple of inches towards the crank, and then cable tie the dongle to this. Unfortunately imminent arrival of my Father-in-Law has stopped play for today:rolleyes:

Gaz

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
IMG_0446.jpg Well I ended up getting the Badass offset mounting plate. It still needed some experimenting with cable ties to flex it a little so it had sufficient clearance. Got it working for all of about 10 seconds then continually got W010 errors, which are 'overheating', not that it had time to, so I'm still a bit frustrated.

Out of daylight today so will give it another go tomorrow, but I'm close to giving up :(

Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
move the magnet so it points down and give you a bit more room i think if it is not on right i get a 503 error/speed sensor.

DSC_0004_01.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Gaz

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
move the magnet
Bingo! :)

Moved the magnet about 5mm away from the sensor and rotated it 90 degrees. All good and I now appear to be cycling everywhere at 5.1mph.

Gaz

Advertisers